Pumapeople: Engine - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Engine

#1 User is offline   Ford19 

• Group: Members

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:33 AM

hi guys i was wondering what people have done to their engine to make them more powerfull i have a spare engine for my race puma that i want to tune. the regulations are that it has to naturally aspired.

any sugestons??

cheers

sam

#2 User is offline   FlashBastd 

• Group: Validating

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:38 AM

If you are going to use it only for racing then something like a S1600 inlet, and lairy shawspeed cams, while blocking off the VCT would probably be sensible.

In all probability for that kind of use you might be better starting with a 1.6.
2005 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
2000 Ford Focus 1.6i Ghia
2006 Renault Clio 2.0i RenaultSport 197 - SOLD
2005 Honda CR-V 2.0i Executive auto
2001 Ford Puma 1.7i Black

#3 User is offline   roadrally 

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:29 PM

There must be more in the regulations than just that it has to be N/A. There will usually be a class structure i.e. Upto 1.4, 1.4-1.6, 1.6-2.0 etc.
You need to check these carefully because there is no point in building an engine that is ineligable.

#4 User is offline   Ford19 

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:55 PM

Rite iv just been on to the regulations ans this is all it says about engines

ENGINE
5.7.1.1 ENGINE - The cylinder block and cylinder head must be the same as originally fitted to that
make and model, and located as such. Over-boring is permitted up to maximum capacity of
the Class entered. No change of stroke is permissible. Any other internal modifications are
free.
5.7.1.2 Forced induction is only permitted on engines of the make and model of cars, which were fitted
as standard. An intercooler may be fitted within the overall periphery of the bodywork.

i am running in calss C and the engine size is 1401-1800cc can anyonw think of sutable ways to get my spare engine up to a high amount of power so i can be competitve in my second season

cheers

sam

#5 User is offline   FlashBastd 

• Group: Validating

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:25 PM

Right, the 1.6 engine is fine, as it was originally fitted to the Puma. The reason I keep harping on about the 1.6 is because it is a more common base for race engines and I believe parts are more readily available. The other option to consider (which a chap on zsoc.com has done) is to change down to the 1.4, as this gets you into a lower category.

Check out zsoc.com, in particular with reference to people with shawspeed engines. Shawspeed build 1.6's for open wheel racing I believe, and know everything there is to know about getting more power out of them.
2005 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
2000 Ford Focus 1.6i Ghia
2006 Renault Clio 2.0i RenaultSport 197 - SOLD
2005 Honda CR-V 2.0i Executive auto
2001 Ford Puma 1.7i Black

#6 User is offline   roadrally 

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:03 PM

What other cars are you competing against?
If you have 1.8 engined cars in your class and money is no object (and for some that is a bottomless pit) then the top boys will be pushing 200bhp+ without too much of a problem.
With the 1.6 you are middle of the class giving away 200cc to start with which is not a good idea (I know where you are coming from FlashBastd because I have been looking at the 1.6 or 1.4 myself) and I dont think you can take the block out any further than the 1.7, unless it is possible with a sleeve, but again its down to money ie machine work, one off pistons etc.
Sorry if this sounds a little negative but ive been there and found that the winner is usually based on wallet size!!!
I would personally go down a class and run the 1.4 with steel crank, steel rods and forged pistons to make it bombproof, ported n polished big valve head, race cams and throttle bodies running MBE or similar management. Thats made short work of £8k and some!!!!!
Or you could just go out and have a little fun in the middle of the pack with a £2k engine (cams and head work, airbox, ecu remap) but with a car that handles mint ie brakes, turn in, balance, corner weights setup. If you can carry more speed through the corner you dont need as much power on the straight!

#7 User is offline   Ford19 

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:22 PM

yeah this is my first season and i f=dnt wana be spending loads of money i am goin to stick with the 1.7 engine as this is the cheepist option and i will modify that.

some of the people in my class are running 106 Gti's with 200+ BHP so im not going to be front running for a long time but i will have to wait an see budget is a big factor as im a studet an going uni in september so i have to consider every aspect.

maybe handling is a good way to go with a little bit on the engine so i can carry speed through the corners as some of you have said.

cheers

#8 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:40 PM

Its basically down to how much you can afford to spend on the engine modifications I personally wouldn't bother unless I had at least £3,000 to spend - this will get you around 170 BHP. Spend double that and you can be looking at 200 BHP.

IMHO The cheapest way to reduce lap times, would be to undertake driver tuition to make the most of what you have.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope - 1709)
Stop being spoon fed and GOOGLE it!

#9 User is offline   NColl 

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:19 PM

for less than £2000.00 you should be able to get 190 +bhp, if you can do the spanner work yourself. Flowbenched developed fastroad standard valve size cylinder head £495.00, rally spec cams £450.00, motorbike throttle bodies, mega squirt fuel injection, fast road eghaust manifold and your own labour.

ncoll

#10 User is offline   roadrally 

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:36 PM

Looked on the Shawspeed website and I was quite surprised at the prices, £4390 for 210hp on Jenvey tbs and all the bits is a very competitive price.

I reacon that you could fit the 170hp kit ,£1329, into a 1.6 head (unless the cams run with the vct) and bolt it to the 1.7 engine. Then its quite a cheap and easy task to fit motorbike tbs as NColl suggested.

Might give them a ring this week and ask a few questions!!

#11 User is offline   philalix 

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:27 PM

Ncoll, I don't understand, where can I find the parts you are talking about ?

Thanks

Philippe
'99 Red 1,7 Puma track aimed:FRP parts:inlet air admission,ECU map,airbox,gearbox,lsd.
Helix clutch,Polished & ported head,green filter,Piper 270 Cams,denso irridium spark plugs,red magnecor 8,5mm spark leads,AVO Coil over,powerflex,Vibra Technics everywhere,Samco engine,braided brake hoses,Milltek full exhaust Sport cat,4 disks brakes 278mm Cosworth front,Focus rear,no ABS,Dot 5.1 brake fluid, DS 2500 brake pads,Toyo R888 semi slicks, interior stripped to lighten the car,HID's,2 Red sparco Evo seats,4 points 3" harnesses.

Daily car '04 Lexus Ls 430 ultra luxury,'73 Mazda RX 2,'78 Baboulin french brand dune buggy,'05 Renault Clio RS Lhd red Trophy 40/50 from Switzerland,'81 Citroen 2 cv...

#12 User is offline   Ford19 

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:42 PM

wow just looked on the shawspeed website an that price is amazing i cnt believe they can do that its just the fact that its the 1600cc that it the engine they offer i don't know wether to buy a 1600cc or get a 1600cc head and put it on my 1700cc bottom end but im goin to give them a ring tomoro and see what they say. i hoping that they will say if you put the 1600cc head it will give it more power because its a 1700cc bottom end but i will see and post the results

cheers for that tip roadrally and nColl

sam

#13 User is offline   Dogsbody 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:50 AM

Your best bet is to do it for "Fun" Sam.
I presume the 200BHP 106 is Olly's ? Thats being rebuilt in a barn by him and his Dad over the winter.
He wants a shot gun ride in my car the next track day I do :o

Unless you have really big Bucks or are very talented and get good sponsorship, you wont even be mid field :(
I know you have good workshop facilities at your Dad's garage, but its all down to money really.

Just put it together for the coming season and go and have some Fun ;)

There is a well sorted 205 on TT that might be coming up for sale!!
It's road legal too.
MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:55 PM

The prices on Shawspeed's website were last updated 26-Oct-2005, expect to pay a bit more 4 years on! In all cases give Shawspeed a ring and go from there. Bear in mind the greater the power the engine produces the more frequent the rebuilds.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope - 1709)
Stop being spoon fed and GOOGLE it!

#15 User is offline   NColl 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:35 PM

whoops!!!!!!, didn't realise i had stumbled into the advertising department at shawspeed

ncoll

#16 User is offline   Shilly 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:53 PM

throttle bodie set up does not have to be jenvey i am making a set up now thats only cost me 80 quid so far and all i need to do is build the manifold and buy an aftermarket ecu the one ive priced up is 350 saving 1500 on jenvey and omex set up

get your cylinder head ported and polished (loose low down power) but the tbs should make up for it

remove the vct and get some shawspeed 4 cams (sorry for another shawspeed advert) jon will advise you on them

stainless steel 4-2-1 or 4-1 manifold decat exhaust system

up rate the injectors

all those mods with a good remap should see good gains

#17 User is offline   philalix 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:50 PM

how do you update the injectors ? about my engine, it will finally be rebuilt. frp inlet, polished and ported, cylinder hard to be ported and polished, my milltek 4-2-1 to be done too. The frp Ecu from pumaspeed is still on, I don't know how to replace it.

Puma FRP cams are to be replaced by piper 285 (need remap ?), and a piper vernier pulley for the exhaust cam in on the wa

The chassis is Ok perhaps a front inferior strut brace, but I'm not sure...I already have all powerflexes and vibra technics, and an upper strut brace in the front and the rear one.

By the way, is there a real difference between SS4 shawspeed cams and the 285's from piper ?

Problem here in France is to get the engine remapped. What ECU would be easier and more efficient ? bluefin, omex, motec ?
'99 Red 1,7 Puma track aimed:FRP parts:inlet air admission,ECU map,airbox,gearbox,lsd.
Helix clutch,Polished & ported head,green filter,Piper 270 Cams,denso irridium spark plugs,red magnecor 8,5mm spark leads,AVO Coil over,powerflex,Vibra Technics everywhere,Samco engine,braided brake hoses,Milltek full exhaust Sport cat,4 disks brakes 278mm Cosworth front,Focus rear,no ABS,Dot 5.1 brake fluid, DS 2500 brake pads,Toyo R888 semi slicks, interior stripped to lighten the car,HID's,2 Red sparco Evo seats,4 points 3" harnesses.

Daily car '04 Lexus Ls 430 ultra luxury,'73 Mazda RX 2,'78 Baboulin french brand dune buggy,'05 Renault Clio RS Lhd red Trophy 40/50 from Switzerland,'81 Citroen 2 cv...

#18 User is offline   Shilly 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:12 PM

View Postphilalix, on 07 December 2009 - 08:50 PM, said:

how do you update the injectors ? about my engine, it will finally be rebuilt. frp inlet, polished and ported, cylinder hard to be ported and polished, my milltek 4-2-1 to be done too. The frp Ecu from pumaspeed is still on, I don't know how to replace it.

Puma FRP cams are to be replaced by piper 285 (need remap ?), and a piper vernier pulley for the exhaust cam in on the wa

The chassis is Ok perhaps a front inferior strut brace, but I'm not sure...I already have all powerflexes and vibra technics, and an upper strut brace in the front and the rear one.

By the way, is there a real difference between SS4 shawspeed cams and the 285's from piper ?

Problem here in France is to get the engine remapped. What ECU would be easier and more efficient ? bluefin, omex, motec ?

replace the green ones for larger injectors most zs people change the green ones for brown ones not to sure one the spray

link to a set of up rated injectors

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...5#ht_741wt_1167

#19 User is offline   roadrally 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:41 PM

View PostShilly, on 07 December 2009 - 06:53 PM, said:

throttle bodie set up does not have to be jenvey i am making a set up now thats only cost me 80 quid so far and all i need to do is build the manifold and buy an aftermarket ecu the one ive priced up is 350 saving 1500 on jenvey and omex set up

get your cylinder head ported and polished (loose low down power) but the tbs should make up for it

remove the vct and get some shawspeed 4 cams (sorry for another shawspeed advert) jon will advise you on them

stainless steel 4-2-1 or 4-1 manifold decat exhaust system

up rate the injectors

all those mods with a good remap should see good gains

I have looked at the motorbike tbs and there are a couple of places that do inlets for £150ish, I havent yet seen the results from this sort of setup, lots of the rally boys are doing it.
Which ecu have you priced up?

#20 User is offline   Shilly 

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:07 PM

View Postroadrally, on 07 December 2009 - 10:41 PM, said:

I have looked at the motorbike tbs and there are a couple of places that do inlets for £150ish, I havent yet seen the results from this sort of setup, lots of the rally boys are doing it.
Which ecu have you priced up?

ill be making my own inlet in my workshop heres a pic of my tbs so far
Posted Image

minus the paint on the trumpets
http://www.mtechauto...nagement_System

This post has been edited by Shilly: 08 December 2009 - 06:09 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic