Pumapeople: Does A New Puma Interior Fit In A Old Puma? - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Does A New Puma Interior Fit In A Old Puma?

#1 User is offline   benday007 

• Group: Members

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:18 PM

Hey Guys & Gals
I may have laid my hands on a 1999 onwards Puma interior.
Does anyone no if they would bolt straight in a 1997 model
or is there any modifications required!

#2 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:20 PM

have you seen the interior? only there is a chance it will be exactly the same as your 1997 Puma.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#3 User is offline   benday007 

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Dec 13 2005, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
have you seen the interior? only there is a chance it will be exactly the same as your 1997 Puma.

Yeah Have seen it, its from a 2000 model sorry, The one with the new seats
I have the old seats you see, New ones a lot better!

#4 User is offline   james west wales 

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (benday007 @ Dec 13 2005, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Guys & Gals
I may have laid my hands on a 1999 onwards Puma interior.
Does anyone no if they would bolt straight in a 1997 model
or is there any modifications required!

iv put an frp interior in a 2000 puma (i know it aint quite the same) the only thing u may find is that the carpet may b a little different around the bolting points, it shouldnt b a problem tho all it will mean is that the flaps on the carpet wont tuck in.
James West Wales - Proud gypsy boii!

2002 Focus RS no469 as the run around and puma for moddin hehe.
Always modest....and damn proud of it!

#5 User is offline   benday007 

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (james west wales @ Dec 13 2005, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
iv put an frp interior in a 2000 puma (i know it aint quite the same) the only thing u may find is that the carpet may b a little different around the bolting points, it shouldnt b a problem tho all it will mean is that the flaps on the carpet wont tuck in.

Mayb a new carpet at the same time too may be in order?

#6 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:27 PM

the electric seat height adjustment lowers the seat more than the newer style pump up/down seats in case you need the extra head room apparently.
I would think (sorry not actually done it) that it would only be the front seats that might be the tricky bits. Not sure if there was a change in pre-tensioner unit or anything or whether the newer seats fit on the same sub frame as your current seats.

This post has been edited by happy-kat: 13 December 2005 - 09:06 PM

searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#7 User is offline   JopieBK 

Posted 14 December 2005 - 07:58 AM

I thought the electric seats didn't go as low, mainly because of the room taken by the electric motor. ja_stupid.gif

#8 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 14 December 2005 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE (JopieBK @ Dec 14 2005, 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought the electric seats didn't go as low, mainly because of the room taken by the electric motor. ja_stupid.gif

as far as I was aware the overall base on an electric seat lowers far better than the pump up variety. One for Colin to answer good.gif

#9 User is offline   benday007 

Posted 14 December 2005 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Dec 14 2005, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
as far as I was aware the overall base on an electric seat lowers far better than the pump up variety. One for Colin to answer good.gif

Its ok I'm not too tall so don't need major amount of Headroom! Havent got pre-tensioners either jus standrad buckle & clip!

#10 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 14 December 2005 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (benday007 @ Dec 14 2005, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its ok I'm not too tall so don't need major amount of Headroom! Havent got pre-tensioners either jus standrad buckle & clip!

but with pre tensioners. Look down where you put the clip in there will be a 6-7 inch tube running out of the buttom of the clip receiver housing, this is the pretensioner as far as I know and the clip giving it juice will be under the seat so don't just unbolt it and rench it out blink.gif battery disconnect jobby I think from posts to change seats if you have air bag etc. (or even with out airbag probably) ja_stupid.gif one to check with someone who has changed seats.

#11 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 14 December 2005 - 02:55 PM

The pretensioner mechanism is attached to the end of the clip. It is a small cylindrical object that projects forward when fitted correctly. It is held in by one huge torx bolt and alignment is maintained by an interference fit stud on the seat that fits into pretensioner. It has a std ford yellow loom attached as with all SRS componants. Again you need to disconnect battery and wait 30 minutes to be on the safe side.
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   benday007 

Posted 14 December 2005 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (warrenpenalver @ Dec 14 2005, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The pretensioner mechanism is attached to the end of the clip. It is a small cylindrical object that projects forward when fitted correctly. It is held in by one huge torx bolt and alignment is maintained by an interference fit stud on the seat that fits into pretensioner. It has a std ford yellow loom attached as with all SRS componants. Again you need to disconnect battery and wait 30 minutes to be on the safe side.

Any ideas wether the new subframe will allow the "old pre-tensioner" to fit?

#13 User is offline   ALAN at PUMABUILD 

Posted 14 December 2005 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (benday007 @ Dec 14 2005, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any ideas wether the new subframe will allow the "old pre-tensioner" to fit?

They will go in but you will have to remove a bracket from the floor.
Seat belt pre tensioners will need to be retained from your original seats due to different ompedence rating.

#14 User is offline   benday007 

Posted 14 December 2005 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE (ALAN at PUMABUILD @ Dec 14 2005, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They will go in but you will have to remove a bracket from the floor.
Seat belt pre tensioners will need to be retained from your original seats due to different ompedence rating.

Well Im def. looking foward to getting the new ones in.

I will retain the old ones as the new ones don't come with the pre-tentioners! Hopefully I will have all I need

Do you know of a guide on the site on changing the seats over?

#15 User is offline   Wil 

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:01 PM

Hmm i swapped over my interior recently and you need a T50 torque screw for the seat belt thingys. I just turned off the ignition then disconnected the sensor cables, was ok for me. Another torx is needed for the rear seats, the back support part.

Might be an idea to buy some spare door clips just incase you break a few when swapping bits over. Just take your time as some are attached with bolts/screws too.

#16 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 15 December 2005 - 06:33 PM

it really is better to disconnect the battery too, a real risk (like fatal if you are in the wrong place) if you only bother to undo the clips by all accounts...

#17 User is offline   benday007 

Posted 15 December 2005 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Dec 15 2005, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it really is better to disconnect the battery too, a real risk (like fatal if you are in the wrong place) if you only bother to undo the clips by all accounts...

Fatal doesnt sound fun, I don't doubt for a second is better to ds-con the battery, but find it hard to beleiev that it shouldnt make a dif once the cables are disconencted to the pre-tensioners? Cos then they have no power, suppose the only prob could be if they went off while didconnecting them?
Dnoo better safe than sorry and dont wanna chance my SRS light coming on as that would mean a £££ dealer reset!

Im currently bidding on the interior anyone an idea on how high to go????

#18 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 15 December 2005 - 09:57 PM

air bag!

#19 User is offline   benday007 

Posted 15 December 2005 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Dec 15 2005, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
air bag!!

Air bag usually triggered by the crash sensors @ the front of the car?
If the Pre-tensioners are unclipped, then surely they are not on the air bag Circuit anymore?

#20 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:02 PM

but the circuits will have been broken and the act of breaking the circuit might set the air bag off itsself etc.
Not a mechanic just applying some safety to a job that should have the battery disconnected reading up on things if taking a seat out etc.
it's not hard to disconnect the battery and leave it off for a bit, you just need the radio code when you finish the job and plug it back on smile.gif

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic