Pumapeople: Just Done The Shorter Bee-sting Aerial Mod... - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just Done The Shorter Bee-sting Aerial Mod... ...and now I have no radio reception!

#1 User is offline   Pat_T 

• Group: Members

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:13 PM

I was expecing reception to decrease after chopping my aerial approx in half. But now I can't pick up any stations at all! sad.gif

Is there anyway I can run a thin internal wire aerial up the door pillars or something?

How do I identify the aerial wire on the back of my head unit?

1.7L. ST150 clutch. Shawspeed lightened flywheel. Miltek exhaust manifold & full decat system. Pipercross foam cone filter. Speedline white 17" wheels. Toyo R888s. Weitec coilovers.
Powerflex rear beam bushes. Willwood 4-pots, 280mm dics & HEL braided hoses. Kenwood headunit. OMP: rear strut brace. Oddessy Racing 40 battery.
Corbeau Clubman seats. LUKE harnesses. FRP rear seats. Carbon fibre interior. FRP splitter.
Ultimate green. ~990kg...PROJECT THREAD

#2 User is offline   Midnight Blue 

• View gallery

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:28 PM

I bought one of the alloy bee sting aerials .... looked good but no reception at all - changed back in the end. Hope you find a solution.
Posted Image

I stole BenF's Thunder ...

Pat

#3 User is offline   expatscot 

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:33 PM

I didnt do the bee sting, but on a previous car (Vectra V6) I did put on a short curved, after-market aerial and it worked fine.

The original was the same fitment as the Puma one.... cant find link to the one I had.

#4 User is offline   Pat_T 

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:27 PM

does no-one know how to identify the radio aerial wire? sad.gif
1.7L. ST150 clutch. Shawspeed lightened flywheel. Miltek exhaust manifold & full decat system. Pipercross foam cone filter. Speedline white 17" wheels. Toyo R888s. Weitec coilovers.
Powerflex rear beam bushes. Willwood 4-pots, 280mm dics & HEL braided hoses. Kenwood headunit. OMP: rear strut brace. Oddessy Racing 40 battery.
Corbeau Clubman seats. LUKE harnesses. FRP rear seats. Carbon fibre interior. FRP splitter.

#5 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:35 PM

http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?...61&hl=sting might help
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#6 User is offline   RED IMPACT 

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:30 AM

Its green! And the end looks a bit like a tv aeriel

#7 User is offline   Pat_T 

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:35 PM

Ta RED IMPACT! smile.gif

has anyone got any suggestions? Car looks so much better now I don't really want to to go back to the standard metre-long aerial!

#8 User is offline   YOG 

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (RED IMPACT @ Jan 20 2009, 08:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its green! And the end looks a bit like a tv aeriel

And it connects to a connector like this in the bottom left-hand corner (6006E Radio/CD shown):

Rick

The Haynes Fiesta Manual (3397) can answer a lot of your questions.
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Mixter 

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:14 PM

get yourself a in line signal amplifier they sell them in halfords if your desperate

#10 User is offline   NLTUK 

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:58 PM

You need to look at RF basics. Any antenna needs to be the same length as the wave length of the frequency you want to listen to. Or shortened/lengthened in 1/4 wave lengths Eg. The length of the wave at 82Mhz (around the middle of bandII - I.E. the radio in your car) is 11ft. 4 - 31/32in. Obviously an 11foot antenna is silly. so you shorten it buy a half: 5ft. 8 - 1/2in. This is still too long. So you shorten the original length by a 1 quarter: 2ft. 10 - 1/4in. This is still a little long (although the old telescopic antennas used to be this long) So usually in the flexible bubber bit at the bottom af the antenna, the wire is coiled which makes the actual mathematical length around 2ft. 10 - 1/4in. but the physical length of the "whip" much shorter.

So...

h
If you install an antenna tat is only a few inches long, not only are you making it very difficult to recieve to signals (because of the difference in size between things in the way of the transmitter I.e. houses...and your antenna) but the actual efficiency in RF receiving terms is really reduced because of the wave length mis-match.

So......

Use the original antenna, or install a slighlty longer bee sting. You could use an amplifier, but a wide band amp will bring in everything beter, including interference, so in low signal areas it will never work as well as a properly tuned antenna.

Hope that helps!!!!

Regards

Lee

This post has been edited by NLTUK: 26 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

#11 User is offline   NLTUK 

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:24 PM

Er.....I'll get my coat.......

#12 User is offline   yippeekiay 

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:56 AM

QUOTE (NLTUK @ Feb 28 2009, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Er.....I'll get my coat.......

lol...please do, and make sure the door doesn't hit your arse on the way out...ehhe!!! tongue.gif

(You lost me at RF basics by the way, the expression on my avatar's face says it all...lol)

This post has been edited by yippeekiay: 02 March 2009 - 02:57 AM

#13 User is offline   NLTUK 

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:18 PM

in other words, install a longer antenna! ja_bebe.gif

#14 User is offline   Pat_T 

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:08 PM

back to the standard one it is then... sad.gif

thanks for all the info anyway good.gif

#15 User is offline   NLTUK 

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:11 AM

At least you can now tell all your friends why the antenna's on thier cars are all different lengths! HA HA!

Lee

P.S. I'm a licenced radio amateur......Did you guess! tongue.gif

#16 User is offline   Spike 

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:43 PM

Its all about matching the wavelength! lol

The original aerial is that length for a reason, maybe you could spray it sky colour, so its not so obvious!

#17 User is offline   rza98765 

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:52 PM

What, Black cloud colour!!! tongue.gif
I pass people with thick wallets but no oil under their fingernails

#18 User is offline   zedder 

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:52 PM

I bought an aluminium "bee-sting" from eBay and I think it can not be installed on a Puma even though item description told it "will fit ANY car with a screw base". Puma was specifically listed. Hole is too small and adapters do not help. It should be drilled and re-threaded.

Is the bolt on original antenna base removable? If it is, then these adapter bolts could be used.

Anyway, maybe it is better to not install this antenna at all, if signal drops so dramatically...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic