• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Millenium Cleanup/rebuild Didn't start as a project.... Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   StevenRaith 

• Group: Members

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

Oh, and the TC worked OK in the snow with the lights on, so I'm guessing it's the rear sensors that are having issues - possibly a wheel bearing throwing them out of alignment. One for the Tuna methinks, as he'll have no problem getting it up on a lift.

#62 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

It never stops - mystery rumble that was noticable but not unless you listened to it, has turned into a hum/drone/grumble at 30-50 mph.

Tuner has been informed, using car as little as possible till I can get it to him, might as well get the MOT done (due Feb) at the same time, eh?

*holds wallet over engine oil filler cap*

OPEN WIDE! :roflmao:/>:(/>

#63 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

Car now with my Tuna.

*looks out of window at empty parking space*

*whimpers gently to self*

*comfort eats ice cream*

#64 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

who's tuna?

#65 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:19 PM

Tuna/Tuner/Mechanic who you can have a proper conversation with.

Johnny May, in East Heslerton

http://www.maysgarage.com/

He's not Puma specific, but he's a proper old school 'doing it for fun and making money out of it' mechanic, so having had a loooong gas about the car etc, I'm perfectly happy to leave it with him. And both sets of keys. And my iPod in the glovebox (woops)

#66 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

rigghhhtttttt for a second there i thought it was swimming with the fishes or something hahahahaha whats it in there for then?

#67 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

MOT, and some dent fixing. No, I haven't fixed it yet. Yes, it's going to be happening as soon as the MOT is sorted. No point putting a new wing on it to risk it being dented by a slide hammer when pulling bearings off, etc!

MOT, then front wing, then look at the rear arches and other dings.

Although if the MOT goes through at a reasonable price, there's a good chance a K+N 57i and a cat back system will go on it too....because muppet/childish.

#68 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

how much is it going to cost to ge the body work up to top notch then? not thought of a full frp kit for it, i bet it would look amazing in yellow and i dont think its een done before

#69 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

FRP body kit isn't any good if the underying metal is still rusting, though - would still need cutting back and replacing.

Also, FRP kits aren't cheap. And would properly knobble my insurance. Induction, cat back, ST150 front stoppers and a set of Koni Yellows (not that I can afford them) would only add £50 - and my broker could get that down to nowt. But a full widebody kit and track changes, and new wheels would cause me problems in a multitude of manners.

That, and I prefer it thin for town driving, and slippy on backroads. The car (to me) is meant to be a cheap fun shed, remember? ;)

#70 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

Failed on a shock, pale front indicators, and a rear brake that needs cleaning up.

New set of rear shocks and top mounts methinks. But standard, or uprated....

#71 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:44 AM

New shocks and top mounts delivered to the local dealership and collected by my Tuna = £200. Not actually that much more expensive than getting it from a third party when you include that sort of delivery time etc.

Assuming the rear brake is cleanable rather than needing parts replaced on it, looking at about £130 in labour/other stuff - that's alright. Had I stuck with the 'just keep it legal' schtick it would have been under £200...

#72 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

But this gives you a better setup for the gap till next maintenance :)
Not bad going really to keep it running well.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#73 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

Well quite - and as I'll be replacing the same at the front, then putting the lowering springs on it (probably the same time I get my rear arches fixed) then it should set the car up nicely.

I have a wishlist of bits - FRP bushes up front (with OEM wishbones - painful on the wallet) as well as a spring-flange for the exhaust etc to stop the fecking flexipipe from breaking (it's blowing agian, but only a bit and not enough to affect the MOT) but keeping it simple is never a bad thing.

#74 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

Rear brake cleaned out and handbrake adjusted, all good.

So £330 all in. Still need:

ABS sorted - front drivers side, which sounds like it has a wheelbearing going too - so pair of front bearings going on.
Wing - insurance are all Ok with it, but I wanted the MOT sorted first.
Front shock absorbers and top mounts - the rears are awsume now, push it, it goes down, it comes up to exactly where it was and just stops. Need that at the front, which is legal, but softer and has some bounce to it.
Eibach Prokit Lowering springs. Because high speed handling.

That should be a touch pricier but worth it. Next month once payday comes around. I have savings but don't want to dip into them for the sake of a couple of hundred quid and lose one of my three withdrawals a year, etc.

Tuna has suggested waxoyling the bottom as unlike most Fords of my cars age, the bottom is pretty sound. Will have a think about that.

Beyond this, I think I need to investigate the torque link (maybe an uprated fast road one) but I might leave that till the clutch release bearing gets worse. There's a gentle, light clunk on engaging gear which i think is the CRB from my abusive driving (this is my first 'proper' car so been....'enjoying' it Posted Image ) and there is slight windup on pulling away (nothing like as bad as the old torque link) but it's perfectly straightforward to drive around.

Overall, very pleased. And my tuna is a lovely bloke. I'll get him read in on Puma tech yet Posted Image

#75 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

Wheelbearing (which we decided to leave at the MOT) has gone south quick - assuming it's the wheelbearing, natch. As it's getting suspension refresh, and I'm thinking more and more about cheeky trackday later in the year, decided to order two wheelbearings, thermostat + housing (just in case), front top mounts/bearings. Tuna will get some Boge shocks in (unless anyone has OE spec suggestions?) and fit them.

As I've put near £500 through them recently including the above, they offered to throw the dodgy bearing on for me for nowt - fair enough, it does need it, and I wouldn't trust it to get to the Tunas place without it. Assuming it is the wheelbearing. I'll probably find it's a fecking inner CV bearing or some other arcane connection :roflmao:/>

Car is with them, no doubt they'll suggest sixty things the car 'needs' once the work is done, which I'll likely ignore ;)

#76 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

Track day sounds like a plan B)
Hope it is not a slow day for them so you only get 10 things it might need list ;)
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#77 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

Well, it's lifted today for the wheelbearing removal, refused to say whether it'd be done by end of day as it's an old car so there might be sticky parts on it etc - fair enough.

Hopefully get it back today. I'm getting the shakes, dammit.

#78 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

Got it back.

Popping, farting, and occasionally rattling and clunking like a good 'un. No more grinding, hurrah!

Now to speak to the Tuna and see when he can sort my dings out, put in the 'stat, etc between family and band commitments..

#79 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

Oi vey, it's a NEVER ENDING STREAM OF CRAP I tells thee!

Now have a clinking at the rear (methinks the rear passenger brake needs more than a clean out) and a lateral groaning at the front which I suspect might be ARB bushes, or bushes in general.

Have prodded my tuna, and advised him to just strip the front and rear ends when he has it for the paintwork/suspension refit/etc and give it a good once over. Pretty sure a CV will need tackling too.

Once that's all sorted though, it should be fine. He says, crossing his fingers :roflmao:/>

Think the rear brake issue is due to heat cycling. Is it worth swapping it for discs rather than replacing the drums and gubbins? Mechanically less of a pig for me to work in IMHO (I know disks - don't know drums)?

#80 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

Finally in the shop - we've both been busy in our various manners. I'm reliably informed that the bodywork stuff is going very nicely.

Rest of it is pretty straightforward, demonstrated the clunking to him though, and he looked confused. Should be pretty apparent whats clunking when it's up and the front end is mostly stripped though.

Updates as and when....

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic