• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cassettes does anyone still use them? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   BenF 

• View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:48 AM

You know the things I mean? We used to get albums on them, or (probably illegally) record music on them - on a C60, C90 or C120.

I have about 120 of them and have not played them for about 5 years. I am thinking of ditching them.

Anyone out there actually use them still?

(I wonder if some of our younger members have never seen them?!)

Someone stole my Thunder...

#2 Guest_darrenspalmer_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:51 AM

Only time I ever see them anymore is when ones spread over the A1 for a few hundred yards.

I do know a PP'er that still has them in her Kat though, and loves them! wink.gif

#3 User is offline   sky 

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:11 AM

I binned a load a few months back... still kept a couple for sentimental reasons - though I have absolutely nothing to play them on now! huh.gif
Jason Aspinall, Original site creator, since '98
http://www.chilledatthebottom.com
http://www.chilled35.com
Mmm, clicky :)

#4 User is offline   Pumasparky 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:21 AM

The old fiesta that Pumanurse runs to work has an original cassette player so yes, we still use them.
The XR didn't have the original Ford stereo in and I have replaced that one with one that plays wma files, so that I can make CDs with about 200 tracks on them.
PUMASPARKY

#5 Guest_pied piper_*

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:35 AM

I still play the odd cassette ,there are certain mix tapes that i made when i thought i would be the Romford's answer to grandmaster flash,that you can't tranfer to CD.It's even got an interlude during one mix with my mum coming in to tell me to clean my room which really isn't ghetto cool...At my college one of the lecturers Howard spent 10,000 investing in laser disk equipment a week later they brought out the smaller compact version,it's only referered to now as Howards folly.

#6 User is offline   BenF 

• View gallery

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:46 AM

ouch 9.gif

Someone stole my Thunder...

#7 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:40 PM

I disposed of several thousand a couple of years back, checked all had been 'backed up' by CD before doing it though.

I loved when they brought out C100 length tapes, at last you could fit an album on each side laugh.gif

Used to be heavily into the tape thing...azimuth and bias adjustment, close loop capstans, 3 second gaps for APS systems and all that malarkee. Remember having to set manual recording levels (auto record level was for sissies bleh.gif )

#8 User is offline   BrilliantBrunette 

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:42 PM

I have G N' R Live Era '87 - '93 on cassette and can't be @rsed to get it on CD. I listen to it when i'm doing my hair

The greatest satisfaction for someone trying to break you down mentally comes from letting him know he has pierced your defences - Barry Sheene

#9 Guest_darrenspalmer_*

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE (BrilliantBrunette @ Apr 18 2007, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have G N' R Live Era '87 - '93 on cassette and can't be @rsed to get it on CD. I listen to it when i'm doing my hair

Long tape then Nat?

#10 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (darrenspalmer @ Apr 18 2007, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Long tape then Nat?

Autoreverse tongue.gif

#11 Guest_darrenspalmer_*

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:54 PM

That the same as Italian tanks have Colin?

biggrin.gif

#12 User is offline   BrilliantBrunette 

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:02 PM

There's 2 cassettes, with about 6 songs on each side so I think 24 songs in total biggrin.gif bloody good album, i'd be lost without it

The greatest satisfaction for someone trying to break you down mentally comes from letting him know he has pierced your defences - Barry Sheene

#13 User is offline   mort666 

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (BrilliantBrunette @ Apr 18 2007, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ooooh, that's a bit of a blast from the past. Think I might have that somewhere on MP3. will have to have a look tonight on the PC. Got an MP3 CD years ago at uni that was most of the albums they released. can't remember if that was on it though....happy days biggrin.gif
Journeyed to the green hell and survived
A good friend will help you move; A true friend will help you move the bodies

#14 Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (pied piper @ Apr 18 2007, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still play the odd cassette ,there are certain mix tapes that i made when i thought i would be the Romford's answer to grandmaster flash,that you can't tranfer to CD.It's even got an interlude during one mix with my mum coming in to tell me to clean my room which really isn't ghetto cool...At my college one of the lecturers Howard spent 10,000 investing in laser disk equipment a week later they brought out the smaller compact version,it's only referered to now as Howards folly.

roflmao.gif

#15 User is offline   BrilliantBrunette 

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:43 PM

Happy days indeed Mort!! Nearly cried when I lost it!!

#16 User is offline   Spleen 

• View gallery

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:46 PM

Who uses tape? ... Meeeeeeeee!

I have loads of bootlegs that I havent transferred, plus my Pus so old it didnt have a cd player as standard (the test model I drove had a cd that jumped everywhere and it put me off)

A Frying Pan..... c====\__________/

Thanks you Machine Head & Metallica for great nights in Sheffield and Manchester...

#17 User is offline   mikey2cv 

• View gallery

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (BOK @ Apr 18 2007, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Used to be heavily into the tape thing...azimuth and bias adjustment, close loop capstans, 3 second gaps for APS systems and all that malarkee. Remember having to set manual recording levels (auto record level was for sissies bleh.gif )

And wasn't it great when three head decks came out and you could monitor level whilst setting it? Ah, happy days.... biggrin.gif
Mike

My photos

Add Mikey2cv to your Flikr contacts and I will send you an invite to join the Pumapeople friends group.

#18 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (mikey2cv @ Apr 18 2007, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And wasn't it great when three head decks came out and you could monitor level whilst setting it? Ah, happy days.... biggrin.gif

Yep...I used to have a list of settings for different tapes so I could adjust bias and sensitivity for each one. After calibration you'd have to rewind and take the tape out and manually turn it past the leader tape to just before the recordable section...

My favourite tapes were metal Denon HD100, they took punishing bass and recording levels. I never used Dolby NR, being a bit of a purist tongue.gif
TDK AD for normal recordings off the radio. One of my most prized possessions is my Sony Walkman DD9 (I also have a D3), a direct descendent of the original Walkman design...built like a sh*t brick outhouse and in perfect working order at 16 years old.

You should like THIS LINK smile.gif

This post has been edited by BOK: 18 April 2007 - 07:03 PM

#19 User is offline   mort666 

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (BrilliantBrunette @ Apr 18 2007, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Happy days indeed Mort!! Nearly cried when I lost it!!

have just checked and it looks like I have it

So no need to cry if you do happen to lose it now laugh.gif

will have to load it into the USB stick for my stereo and take a trip back to when I was in the 6th form lol
Journeyed to the green hell and survived
A good friend will help you move; A true friend will help you move the bodies

#20 User is offline   BrilliantBrunette 

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:08 PM

^^ Yay!!! woot2.gif

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic