Pumapeople: Looking To Buy A Tripod... - Pumapeople

TPF

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Looking To Buy A Tripod... What should I be looking for??

#1 User is offline   PussCat 

• Group: Members

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:06 PM

Ok, so I've never bought a 'good' tripod before but I'm looking in to getting one now..... will be used for my DSLR, and normally in conditions where lighting isn't too good, so long exposure... why does that matter?? well, the cheapo one I'm using now (only cost about £20) tends to droop ( ! ) if I leave it on a long setting... so I need something a bit more sturdy!

Other criteria: used for portrait, landscape, and possibly macro stuff.

Ideally, needs to fold up quite small so I can carry it about easily, and for the same reason be reasonably lightweight!

Any recommendations?? I really don't know where to start, lol....

Budget... erm, not sure, lol... how much do these things cost??? Does £100-150 sound reasonable?
Caz

http://www.justgiving.com/bokbok - "Just Giving Site" for the BHWT in Colin's Memory... please help a chicken today!

#2 User is offline   BenF 

• View gallery

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:53 AM

what I am going to suggest will be a bit more than that I am afraid, but is based on waht I use

have a look at the Manfrotto range; I have a carbon fibre (so light) Manfrotto with legs in 3 sections - if you want to be able to fold it smaller you can get them in 4 sections

you have to get a head separately, and this is where you can get it seriously wrong! I initially bought a 3-way head with separate controls for each movement (up/down, left/right, tilt left/right)that is great for photography; Matt (Tiggr) has an identical one iirc, and he decided that he would have preferred one with geared controls for finer control

I also use my tripod for supporting my birdwatching telescope and found that a 3-way head was too fiddly so bought a 2-way head instead - I do not like the idea of a ball-head. After using it for a while I am wondering whether I should have overcome my prejudice and bought a ball-head!

I am delighted with the tripod, but wish I had spent longer researching exactly which head to get - I might have saved some money and bought just one head!

I had cause to phone customer support about one of my heads and was well impressed with how helpful they were. Manfrotto are certainly not the cheapest but I do not regret spending the extra

good luck, whatever you decide!

ps don't forget to get a cable release if you are going to use a tripod (or use the delayed exposure facility on your camera!) - sorry if this sounds patronising but I know peeps with a tripod who pushed the shutter release with their fingers!

ps with a case that was about £40 my tripod with one head was about £300, 2 years ago I think

Someone stole my Thunder...

#3 User is offline   pumapilot 

• View gallery

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:58 AM

We get tripods bought into our charity shop, not sure if they are a 'good' make or not, but much cheaper than the high street.
Posted Image
Signature block created by Colin Y (BOK) & here as my tribute to him
Print your own Pumapeople fliers by clicking here
PUMA GARAGE LIST LINK
Tremona Garage

#4 User is offline   Pumasparky 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:27 AM

Our Velbon Tripod cost considerably less than that. We only use it once or twice a year for group photos etc. But it does the job for us. I think it was IRO about £60
PUMASPARKY

#5 User is offline   Matt & Tiggr MKIII 

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:50 PM

Agree with Ben, Manfrotto for me.

I initially went for a standard 3 way head, but recently upgraded to a geared unit as its much easier to control, esp with heavy body/ lens combo.

But then again, I also bought the pano head - cant beat it if you are doing BIG landscapes :)

Have a look on eBay, as second hand ones a bullet proof, and Manfrotto have an excellent spares department.
Matt and Tiggr

"i have seen things you people couldn't believe; attack ships off the shoulder of orion. I watched c-beams at the tannhauser gate. all these things will be lost in time....like tears in the rain........
Time....to...die........"

#6 User is offline   hotrodspike 

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:10 PM

I've got a Velbon VS-3 you can have for a chicken donation if you want it. It hasn't been used for about 15 years (or much at all really) and it's covered in dust, but everything works on it (I've just tried it). It's got a three way head, three section legs, and a windy uppy thingy that takes the head up to about 2 metres plus. Oh and it's got another screw adaptor on the top of the legs at 90 degrees. Yours if you want it cocka.

BOK is our co-pilot.

#7 User is offline   Midnight Blue 

• View gallery

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:14 PM

I have a Velbon - not that i use it very often, but it is always in the back of my kat. Cheap, cheerful and does the business.
Posted Image

I stole BenF's Thunder ...

Pat

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic