Pumapeople: 453 Engine Rebuild Project - Pumapeople

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

453 Engine Rebuild Project Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:04 AM

yeah I was thinking about replacing the shims..things are taking time though..just want to get it all done but at the moment, just havn't got the time... could do with a full week off to get to the bottom of everything..

:head:
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#22 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

Just had another go at identifying the thread...had some taps and fine thread nuts delivered today... still no further, :head: :head: it's definatly not a metric thread (.75 or 1mm pitch)..so BUGGER IT!.. iv'e just re-fitted them using some plumbers tape and wurth sealant which i'm pretty sure should hold the oil back.. can't be arsed faffing around tyring to find new ones..

:)/>
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#23 User is offline   ally frp364 

• Group: Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

View Posteldoodarino, on 04 May 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

Just had another go at identifying the thread...had some taps and fine thread nuts delivered today... still no further, :head:/> :head:/> it's definatly not a metric thread (.75 or 1mm pitch)..so BUGGER IT!.. iv'e just re-fitted them using some plumbers tape and wurth sealant which i'm pretty sure should hold the oil back.. can't be arsed faffing around tyring to find new ones..

:)/>/>

Was going to say i had a similar issue when i built an engine a few months ago. Pitch is 0.9 and i retapped to 10 x 1.0 if i remember correctly....... Put longer threads in it and now absolutely sound. Didnt see the point in putting old grub screws back in to get same problem.

Cheers

Ally

#24 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

There's no such pitch as .9 that's the problem so it must be unf, unc or imperial type thread... i'm surprised you ran a different thread Tap into the head.. :unsure:/> :unsure:/>

That takes big balls.. :lol:/> you must have made it work though..fair play.. :good:/>
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#25 User is offline   ally frp364 

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

Especially that the head was a cool grand. As i say cant remember the tap size. It might have been a 9mm x 1.0 and I drilled to a 10mm and retapped to 1.0. Cut 4 bolts with large slotty in head so they can be easily removed in future for servicing etc.

Cheers

Ally

#26 User is offline   RogS500 

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

Hi,

I think you will find the cylinder head oil gallery taper grub screws are NPTF thread. Usually 1/8 inch NPTF which is 27 threads per inch.

Hope this helps.

Rog

#27 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

Cheers for that info.. never heard of NPTF thread.. I'll ring round and see if longer ones are available

:cool:
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#28 User is offline   RogS500 

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

Hi,

NPTF threads are used in various fluid connections ( NP is ref to National Pipe ). Wilwood still use 1/8 inch NPTF threads in their calipers for the brake fluid hose fitment.

I have found Ford still used this thread in places, even on modern engines.

regards Rog

#29 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

NPTF is also very common on aftermarket sensors
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope - 1709)
Stop being spoon fed and GOOGLE it!

#30 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

Head and valves finally back together and on the new block now..horrayy!.. :cool:

Lapping the valves took a bit of patience and practice to get right... the exhaust valves especially were an awkward small size to 'suck' onto the lapping stick.. :comp:

Here's roughly what the valves and seats look like when they're lapped..

Posted Image

On the other side of the head, here are the new valve stem oil seals in place..

Posted Image

Here is the SPX tool for pushing them down correctly

Posted Image

I was really glad I bought the tool for this, there are two distint 'notches' inside the seal casing as you push it down into position, this custom made bar lets you seat it accurately without pushing on the rubber part of the seal/spring and damaging it.. :good:

Had a setback with the buckets and shims... it appeared later that the valve compression tool was snagging some of the bucket/valve hole entries... managed to get one bucket completely stuck and a fair few that felt really quite tight.... :rant: in the end I was glad one got stuck as it made me realise the issue, and re-check them all...after de-burring some of the holes again...eventually all good to go and buckets moving freely.. It's really quite trick not to mark the hole on the head as you can't really watch both sides of the compression tool at the same time.. plus when it locks or unlocks it does tend to jolt a bit...you have to be quite careful!..

Head back together at last..

Posted Image

Time now to put the head on the new short block complete with new gasget and bolts..

Posted Image

Posted Image

More to follow soon... :cool:

Chris
FRP453
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#31 User is offline   ally frp364 

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

Good work Chris. Where did you get the new block from?

Cheers

Ally

#32 User is offline   JPTipper 

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

oooo!

bet thats going to be lovely to drive! and quiet! (for an frp lol)
Andy, Project Thread Here1979 Ford Capri Mk3 1.6L in Midnight Blue (Sold to a man in essex), 1999 Ford Puma 1.4 Melina Blue (Written off by a man with a fast motorbike), 1992 Peugeot 106 XSi 1.4 Miami Blue (Restored then sold to a man who now races it), Ford Puma 1.7 Melina Blue (Aww Yeah :D ) It is evident that i unknowingly like blue cars...

#33 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

New block from another FRP owner who was planning on doing the same thing until he decided to go Formula 3 instead.. :crazy:

would be interesting to check Ford's price on it, I imagine it would be a few quid.. :unsure:

Chris
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#34 User is offline   ally frp364 

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

View Posteldoodarino, on 21 May 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

New block from another FRP owner who was planning on doing the same thing until he decided to go Formula 3 instead.. :crazy:/>

would be interesting to check Ford's price on it, I imagine it would be a few quid.. :unsure:/>

Chris

£3500 the last time I looked......

#35 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

yeah crazy money!.. :unsure:

While I was at Ford I checked the price of the short block, as I was curious.. :ph34r:

Finis 1089737 £3,373.07 + Vat :o

crazy really as they've priced them so far out of reach beyond what is 'reasonable'..i know the 1.4 is quite a different block but even at todays prices that was £900

makes you wonder what they'll eventually end up doing with the stock?? binning it probably :wacko:

Chris
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#36 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

hopefully at least recycled but does make you wonder the stupid price point
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#37 User is offline   Bentleya 

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

Anything Puma specific is always very expensive, the blocks will end up scrapped if nobody buys them.

#38 User is offline   ally frp364 

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

View PostBentleya, on 22 May 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

Anything Puma specific is always very expensive, the blocks will end up scrapped if nobody buys them.

Yeah ive heard that reduce stock periodically for example if Ford have 20 in stock after 10 years they will scrap 10 and sit with 10 in stock. They cannot justify the space and the fact they will not be selling any of them.....

What an unbelievable amount of precision engineering to get binned!

Ally

#39 User is offline   PumaD23 

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

if you're a employee you can buy them out of the back office for a big discount... You can inform about it at you're local warehouse keeper at a dealership...

by this way i bought a pair of carpets for 20 euro's

#40 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:02 PM

Bit more done...feels like i'm getting somewhere now... but again, need to crack on with other jobs now for a bit...

Here's a picture you don't see much!..

Posted Image

here's the oil tray and pick up pipe....

Posted Image

fixed the two sump section back with Wurth Sealant and all new bolts..look great, but forgot to take a picky.. :wacko:

Cams in now..and used new cam seals too..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Timing mostly done along with water pump and a new bottom Crank Vibration Damper Pulley..not cheap at £150 notes.. :phew::

Posted Image

Notice the nice thick new rubber layer in the pulley ..should aid a super smooth power delivery.. :woot2:

Chris
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic