• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Frp #401 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Fatttty 

• Group: Members

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:31 AM

Hi guys and girls, I'm Alex (Fatttty) thought I would start a thread about my FRP. I purchased the car at the end of June 2012 from Jay in Birmingham. I had been searching for a good one since December 2011.

With all the rust issues that these cars are prone to I wanted one that had been rebuilt and had fresh paint and no rust. I think Jay had a build thread for #401 on here, some of you may know of the car and know the lengthy rebuild he did on it.

The paint and bodywork is faultless, I am quite particular with paintwork so this car was the perfect choice for me.

Basically it was fully stripped to bare metal, etch primed and painted inside and out. All the panels were correctly alligned, underneith it was stripped and unsealed along with the arches and sills. It has powder coated rear beam with new poly bushes, powdercoated wishbones with new bushes.

#401 has a load of new parts fitted a few months before I purchased it-

New rear ABS sensors
New hubs and bearings
Wishbones and bushes
Rear brakes
CV boot rubbers

My main plans are-
Refurbish the wheels in factory silver
Replace Racing badges with new ones from Pumabuild
Clean and detail the egnine bay and underneith
Replace any parts that require it
And generally enjoy it

I have only got a couple of photos from when I first purchased the car-

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Plenty of updates to come, thanks for looking, Alex :)

#2 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:31 AM

Ok so first things first was to start detailing the engine bay, there will be a lot more to come with the engine bay but for now I simply cleaned, degreased and painted the alternator and the airmass sensor on the air intake.

Looks much fresher now-

Posted Image

Posted Image

As most of you know the Sparco seats are a nightmare for bobbling, purchase a lint remover off eBay and set to work shaving the seat lol!

Before-

Posted Image

And after-

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

Engine bay detailing continues, got under the car and cleaned / degreased the gearbox and sump, this will be repeated before I paint and detail the box and sump / lower part of the block

Gearbox-

Posted Image

Sump-

Posted Image

The powersteering, coolant, brake fluid caps and dip stick were looking tired and grubby. Gave them a good degreasing and washed with warm soapy water.

Before-

Posted Image

And after-

Posted Image

Got lots more planned for the coming months.

Hope you guys enoy reading.

Thanks, Alex

#4 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

One of the rear fog lights was looking worse or wear it was dull and looked like it had been lacquered at some point in the past. Got a price from fords at £67 for a new one... Fook that!

So I whipped it off, wet sanded with 600 and 1200 grades before machine polishing it.

Before; milky and dull-

Posted Image

Wet sanded-

Posted Image

Machine polished-

Posted Image

The other fog light had the ford markings and e-markings on it which kept getting polish stuck in them. Decided to do the same with this one so it matched the other one.

Before; markings and lettering-

Posted Image

Wet sanded and smooth-

Posted Image

Done :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

More to come ;)

Alex

#5 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

You've been busy :)
The coolant cap propbably could just replace it, the rubber seal can get poor after a while and our cars are old now, I replaced mine when I ahd the coolant changed at 10 years old.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#6 User is offline   Kartracer 

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

Great work on the fog lights mate! Will consider doing the same on mine, they look a lot fresher and will stop the grime/polish getting stuck in the original serial/part numbers.

I followed the posts submitted by Jay on his resto work on #401. Very impressive bodywork skills and he seemed very particular on the paint finish, so congrats on what appears to be a good purchase...

Keep up the good work
'If everything seems under control....you're just not going fast enough'

#7 User is offline   AndyReact 

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:44 AM

Nice getting nicer!! Top job!

#8 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:35 AM

View Posthappy-kat, on 22 September 2012 - 06:21 PM, said:

You've been busy :)
The coolant cap propbably could just replace it, the rubber seal can get poor after a while and our cars are old now, I replaced mine when I ahd the coolant changed at 10 years old.

Yeah I noticed that, I have already purchased one Kat along with new coolant bottle and power steering reservoir :)

#9 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

New exhaust from Pumabuild arrived this week, wasn't happy with the finish so cracked the metal polish out :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Stupidly this will be one of the last things to go on the car after I have restored and protected the underneath of the car. But its one of the more expensive items on my to do list so I'm glad its ticked off.

More to come, Alex

#10 User is offline   Dave93 

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

Hi Alex looks like your doing a fantastic job finishing off jays work on 401

Just a quick warning to make sure your ss exhaust fits as mine from puma build hangs very low and looks as if the flanges were welded on wonky! Hits every speed bump on the road!

#11 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for the info Dave :) hopefully it will fit correctly, it's the phase2 backbox. Won't be fitting it for quite a while so fingers crossed!

#12 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

Ok, update.. finally!

After some bribery and begging I got my dad to give up his garage for the winter so work on the Puma can begin.

The new home-

Posted Image

The plan is to completely underseal and paint the underside of the car to protect it for the future. Everything will be recondition, refurbished or replaced so hopefully the underside of the car will be just as good as the body and paint.

Im starting with the back end first and will work my forward over the coming months. Got the car in, back end up on axel stands and the rear wheels off.
Callipers and brake pads off, rear discs have seen better days :(

Posted Image

Rear discs, calliper carriers and pads removed-

Posted Image

Had an arguement with one of the carrier bolts... I won :D (13mm bolt with a 12mm socket bit hammered on)

Posted Image

The boot floor is showing some small signs of surface rust but it was protected well by Jay (previous owner) and has been stone guarded and sealed. Will be sanding this back before priming with red oxide or zinc primer and sealing with Epoxy Mastic paint.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rear axel beam removed-

Posted Image

Still got the fuel tank, fuel lines, exhaust and heat sheilds to remove. But made a good start :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fatttty: 27 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

#13 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

Ok bit more progress, removed the fuel neck-

Posted Image

Removed the fuel tank-

Posted Image

Exhaust back box removed-

Posted Image

Drained the brake fluid and removed the brake lines from the rear end of the car-

Posted Image

Just a few of the old clips and clasps from the handbrake cable and brake lines. All these will be replaced with new Ford items hopefully :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hoping to get some more hours in over the weekend so more updates to come :)

Thanks, Alex

#14 User is offline   DPM 

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

Great work i will to do this to mine over time.

#15 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

keeping busy.. :)

you'll be surprised how much the bolts are that secure the rear beam...think ford ordered a new batch of them.. £3-4 each from memory..

nice to change the brake lines tho... change the pipe that feeds the petrol fume intake/inlet system..makes a surprising difference B)

Chris
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#16 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

View Posteldoodarino, on 03 November 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

keeping busy.. :)

you'll be surprised how much the bolts are that secure the rear beam...think ford ordered a new batch of them.. £3-4 each from memory..

nice to change the brake lines tho... change the pipe that feeds the petrol fume intake/inlet system..makes a surprising difference B)

Chris

Cheers Chris, I'm going to have the bolts stripped and plated rather than buying new. Will be buying new clips for handbrake cables and brake lines etc. Hadn't considered changing the fuel inlet system will look into that though now :)

I will be in touch with you in the new year about recondition my alcons.

Alex

#17 User is offline   melinamotor 

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

Looking good mate :)
Ex Melina 1.7,ex FRP441,ex Silver 1.7
Currently.
BMW M3. www.tremonagarage.com

#18 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

View Postmelinamotor, on 03 November 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

Looking good mate :)

Cheers :good:

#19 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

UPDATE: for the past two weeks I have been stripping the old paint and underseal from the boot floor, chassis legs and the rear sill areas. Its hard work, but I want to get everything back to bare metal so I can get the best possible rust protection for the future.

Theres still a little bit more to do, and a few small patches of surface rust that need grinding down but I'm pleased with the progress, its slow going but will be worth it in the end.

Excuse the photos its a bit difficult to make out what some of them are!

Boot floor area-

Posted Image

Posted Image

NS chassis leg, pretty much done all old paint removed and the rust patches have been pretty much ground out-

Posted Image

OS chassis leg, still needs the remaining paint and sealant removing and a few patches of surface rust to sort still-

Posted Image

Looking down the car from the rear, you can see the boot floor and where the fuel tank should be. The light grey paint near the back is actually the original underbody colour. Debating on painting it that colour or perhaps the body colour-

Posted Image

Posted Image

Removed the rear suspension struts it preparation for sanding the rear wheel arches, the rear struts look pretty much brand new and having checked the fronts they look the same. Really pleased with the condition. Also the original Eiback stickers are present and in good condition which is a bonus :)

Struts after a quick wipe over-

Posted Image

Posted Image

More to come this week, hoping to finalise the prep on the boot floor and hopefully get the arches ready for stonechip painting.

Alex

#20 User is offline   Rayy 

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

Fantastic!
Owner: FRP #076
Current mile muncher: 2014(64) Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCI 200 Titanium X Sport - Frozen White

Previous:
2009(09) Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI | 2008(08) Mk7 Ford Fiesta TDCI Zetec S | 1999(T) Rover 420 | 1997(.R) Rover 620 TD | 1995(M) Mk3 Ford Fiesta Si
First car: 1990(H) Mk3 Ford Fiesta Popular Plus!

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic