Pumapeople: Fitting Auto-dim Rear View Mirror - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fitting Auto-dim Rear View Mirror

#1 User is offline   FlashBastd 

• Group: Validating

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:08 PM

I have been busy this afternoon doing most of the work fitting an auto-dim rear view mirror that I had taken from a circa '01 Mondeo Ghia at a local scrap yard. To remove the mirror, I tapped at the mounting from below to detatch it from the screen mounted wedge. I also took the plug, and as much wire as I could, though this was clearly not going to be enough to reach from mirror to headlining in the Puma.

Though this relates specifically to fitting an early Mk3 Mondeo auto dimming mirror, it should be pretty similar for most others. These mirrors are readily available on US eBay for not a huge amount of cash. I got lucky finding one at a scrappers.

First job was to order a new mirror wedge from Ford, Finis 4560785, £5.45 + VAT, they didn't have it in, but got it for the next day.

On the way from collecting the wedge I popped into Halfords and got some rear view mirror bonder.

Pulled off the original mirror, and cleaned up the insude of the screen using celulose thinners, given that it is really cold outside I had the heated screen and the heated on for a while to warm things up nicely.

Followed the instructions with the bonder and mounted the wedge, left the engine running with the heating on for half an hour for it to properly set, then mounted the mirror.

Ok, that was the easy bit. Now for the wiring.

The Mondeo mirror is a pretty basic one, and though there are 7 positions in the plug, only three are used;

Pin 1 - Ignition Switched
Pin 2 - Negative / Ground
Pin 3 - Reversing lamp

I removed the three pins from the socked, stripped the wires out and soldered new, longer wires (circa 18") to each pin. I then ran these wires though around 6" of heat shrink to keep them tidy and popped the new loom in the oven at 150C for about 10min to shrink the outer covering. The wiring can then be fed up to the rear of the interior lamp and the connections made here.

Regarding the connections, I took the negative / ground at the interior lamp, by way of a new loop connection, hopefully clearer in the pics, as I was fitting a vanity mirror lamp at the same time, I used that for the loop, then the mirror wiring just plugs into it.

This leaves us with two more wires. If you want, you can take the permanant live from the interior lamp and be done with it. I wanted to do it properly though, so ran two wires down to the passenger footwell, from here I went across to the back of the stereo for the ignition switched live.

For the reversing lamp I ran a wire from the n/s reversing lamp, behind the luggage compartment trim, then under the quarter panel and under the carpet by the door seal forward to the passenger footwell where I connected it to the wiring from the mirror.

To access the wiring for the reversing lamp, you can just about get away with just going through the access hole used to change the tail lamp bulbs, however if you want to secure the wiring behind the trim, you will need to remove the centre and near side luggage compartment trim panels, as follows;

Firstly remove the weather strip above the rellevant trim panels.

Next, the centre trim, this is held on by 5 push clips. Tug gently to remove them, then I believe the trim lift up a bit to come away from the tailgate connector and latch.

You probably want to remove the luggage compartment carpet at this point as the n/s trim is slightly under it.

The n/s trim is held in place by the yellow clip behind the taillamp, the weather strip you have already removed, and the three push clips revealed when you tip forward the rear seat backrest. Having removed the clips, a bit of a wiggle should free it up. Be careful not to bend it too much of you could have probs with the reinforcement around the jack door coming loose.

I did this through the bulb change door, however as I am replacing my rear suspension shortly I will have to remove the trim then and will take the opportunity to secure it all then.

This post has been edited by FlashBastd: 04 January 2009 - 09:52 PM

2005 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
2000 Ford Focus 1.6i Ghia
2006 Renault Clio 2.0i RenaultSport 197 - SOLD
2005 Honda CR-V 2.0i Executive auto
2001 Ford Puma 1.7i Black

#2 User is offline   JHT1888 

• Group: Members

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:30 PM

Lol nice work

Posted Image
Ford Puma 1.7 2008 ~ Ford Puma Thunder 1.7 2008 - ~ Ford Racing Puma (0182/500) 2011 -

#3 User is offline   e3silversurfer 

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:29 PM

auto dim feature. does it auto dim the glare that comes from drivers who do not align their headlights to the road and shine into your face through your rear view mirrors???

#4 User is offline   k18dan 

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:30 PM

yep it does elvin... I got one in the mondeo ghia x works a treat!! something that I wouldn't really think of.. but its awesome!!
FRP 225
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   JHT1888 

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:58 PM

I'm looking to get one of these mirrors but I'm going to struggle to get one that includes the wiring loom can you buy that seperate from ford or not?
Posted Image
Ford Puma 1.7 2008 ~ Ford Puma Thunder 1.7 2008 - ~ Ford Racing Puma (0182/500) 2011 -

#6 User is offline   FlashBastd 

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:55 PM

Only as part of the roof loom. They are a fortune new. Best bet is a breakers, or there are plenty on US eBay, usually with a length of loom.

#7 User is offline   JHT1888 

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:16 PM

I've never seen any on US ebay
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:15 PM

Looks practical!!

It would be easier to connect the reversing circuit wire by tracing the blue/yellow wire from the back of the reverse,lamp to the splice where it changes to violet/yellow wire, then trace it back to the dashboard. that way you use much less wire and everythings kept nice and neat behind the dash and pillars. You can also trace the violet/yellow wire back from the transmission switch into battery junction box and splice in there!
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   FlashBastd 

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (JHT1888 @ Apr 18 2009, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've never seen any on US ebay

What were you searching for?

I just searched for "auto dim mirror" and got 377 results, most of which are interior mirrors?

QUOTE (warrenpenalver @ Apr 18 2009, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would be easier to connect the reversing circuit wire by tracing the blue/yellow wire from the back of the reverse,lamp to the splice where it changes to violet/yellow wire, then trace it back to the dashboard. that way you use much less wire and everythings kept nice and neat behind the dash and pillars. You can also trace the violet/yellow wire back from the transmission switch into battery junction box and splice in there!

That would be neater, and was my original intention, but I couldn't find what I was looking for in the wiring diagrams on the TIS and decided I couldn't be bothered to try to follow the wiring. Only one single cable to run, so not a huge chore.

This post has been edited by FlashBastd: 18 April 2009 - 11:32 PM

#10 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:56 PM

this is why you need the paper copys of wiring diagrams laugh.gif you get all the splice locations and componant location charts.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic