Pumapeople: Reunited With A Racing Puma - Pumapeople

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reunited With A Racing Puma FRP Restoration Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   DPM 

• Group: Members

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:04 PM

Thanks again, just in relation to the top mounts and bearings can someone advise me if they are the same as the standard Puma or FRP specific?

#22 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

same
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#23 User is offline   DPM 

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

Just another quick question in relation to the bushes, does anyone have the FINIS for the FRP specific rear bush in the lower front suspension? I want to keep the car standard so i would prefer not to use an alternative if possible and hope to place an order for these parts as soon as i have all of the information needed.

#24 User is offline   melinamotor 

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

Good luck with this project, a worthy cause.
Ex Melina 1.7,ex FRP441,ex Silver 1.7
Currently.
BMW M3. www.tremonagarage.com

#25 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

Do you mean the rear bush that is on the wishbone?
That is 1042691
They are used on the FRP but it is a bush from the Ford parts bin.

Also take good car of the ball joint on the wishbone, I had to reuse mine as the new Ford replacement ball joint would not fit.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#26 User is offline   DPM 

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

Thanks again. I hope to get some time to remove the calipers tomorrow so i will get a better chance to have a look at the suspension as well and check the rest of the underneath especially the exhaust

#27 User is offline   DPM 

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

Well i managed to get alot done today. I removed the wheels and the arch liners to have a look behind and was delighted to see all of the wax oil i put on previously was all still present and doing its job.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I then had a look at the brakes and removed the calipers so i could send them to Chris for a service.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thankfully the front discs appear to have been replaced recently and there is still alot of material still left on them

Posted Image

While the arch liners were removed i decided to apply more wax oil which was a messy job but it will clearly help to preserve the car going forward.

Posted Image

There was a bit of cleaning to do when i was finished
Posted Image

I did not take any pictures of the rear but i did the same job there but i applyed it with a paint brush

I also found out that the blow in the exhaust is just before the join with the rear section so i will remove the centre and rear section and get it repaired aswell the next time i get a chance.

#28 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

those discs are from a VERY early batch..almost certainly the original ones i imagine... the pistons also look like they're 3/4 popping out...

looks like fun.. :wacko:

:P
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#29 User is offline   DPM 

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

Chris, could the discs actually have 62k on them with such little wear? I do think that when i sold the car @ 44k that there was a bigger lip on the them at the time but i cant be sure. Also what are the differences between the early and the later discs?

From speaking to the previous owner he used Pumabuild for the pads and the exhaust manifold. He could not remember if he put discs on it or not. If it got discs then i would imagine he would have used Pumabuild as well.

I have the calipers and pads secured as they came out and did not even try to move the pistons so you will get them exactly the way they were on the car, i will get them to you some time during the week. I did have to remove the entire connection from the pipe to the caliper on the LHS as i could not seperate the brake pipe from the union, you can see it in one of the pictures. Its still seized on to the brake pipe but from my untrained eye the calipers themselves dont look too bad.

#30 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

ideally you need to seperate the union... it's a real pain winding the caliper on the hose when you fit them back....

When you say 'wear' how are you assessing the wear...My guess is they've just been skimmed...and skimmed and then skimmed again...lol :lol: the contour of the face of the discs suggest they are from VERY early production of discs, they used to actually coat these black, then they stopped doing that and changed the face to a more rounded shapely finish.... around year 2001 'ish'..

Chris
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#31 User is offline   DPM 

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

I did not even think that they have been skimmed already, i will have to measure them to see what thickness they are now.

#32 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

sorry, just looked again...they are not the early style discs...

going a bit do-lally.. :wacko:

:D
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#33 User is offline   DPM 

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

Calipers have been sent to Chris so hopefully he will work his magic on them for me.

#34 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

Hiya Mate..

Started working on the calipers today, they've kept me quite busy.. :mellow:

Took me half a day just to get them stripped down into pieces as one of the bridge pipes was completly fused insied the caliper and the fitting just snapped off when trying to get it moving.. :comp: also one of the caliper bolts was fused and just snapped when unwinding.....

No spare caliper shells now so had to get my jigs out which i havn't used in ages...so got to work in drilling out the bridge pipe fitting which is a real PITA as it tends to spin round as you get nearer the flared end making it very awkward.... very pleased with myself tho...managed to drill both areas with patience and precision so that no inserts were needed, just a re-tap... :bleh: :bleh:

Here's how the broken bolt was drilled out on a custom made jig which holds the caliper flat so it doesn't bend away from you..

http://imageshack.us...5/1dscf0050.jpg

here's the other jig which took a lot of designing so that you can drill straight down into the bleed screw holes, mounting the caliper at exactly 12.5 deg.. :bleh:

http://imageshack.us...1/1dscf0051.jpg

http://imageshack.us...2/1dscf0052.jpg

i'll crack on with the re-furbing tomorrow and hopefully have them fully scrubbed back...after my Alignment is finally put to bed...

:good:

Chris
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#35 User is offline   DPM 

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

WOW, impressive work going on there some proper engineering.

#36 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

Calipers done now...

:beer:

Posted Image

Posted Image
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#37 User is offline   DPM 

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

They look great :cool:

#38 User is offline   Ian G 

• Group: Admin

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

Workmanship :wub:

#39 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

View Posteldoodarino, on 26 October 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

Calipers done now...

:beer:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Quality work :wub:

#40 User is offline   DPM 

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

Got back to work on this again today. I fitted the Alcons earlier and while doning so I had been looking at the front brake lines and im thinking of replacing them and want to know what my options are. The only place that i can see them available is on the Pumabuild site http://pumabuild.com...&products_id=73 but i dont see a 909 FINIS code with them which most of the FRP parts have. Is this the only option for these as they seem like alot of money for just 2 front brake pipes?

My reason for changing them is becuase when removing the calipers i had to unscrew the caliper rather that the pipe as it was seized and i would never take a chance with brakes and now at 12yrs old they really do need to be changed in my opinion

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic