Pumapeople: Boring - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Boring Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   katiesdad 

• Group: Validating

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:30 AM

I keep hearing of the bore's on the 1.7 can fail even at 60,000. Are these special sleeves, and can they be replaced, and what sort of cost?. Is this a common fault? Was there another similar powered engine that was used (1.6?) and is it more reliable? As the engines were sent to Japan and Spain to have the Nickasil liners done, is there a code number or something that tells you where they were done and is one plant's liners more reliable?
Sorry for being a techy, but I don't want to waste money.

#2 User is offline   Dan 

• View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:49 AM

I think some early ones went but I wouldn't say it's a common fault. It is said that some 'cleaning' products you add to your fuel can damage it too (redex etc.).

The 1.6 doesn't have a nikasil lining.

I don't think re-lining is possible; if it is then it's probably not economically viable.

#3 User is offline   katiesdad 

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:32 AM

Has anyone got a 1.6, and what do they think of the engine? I haven't seen any for sale, is it sold as a particular model, ie Thunder or something?

This post has been edited by katiesdad: 09 January 2008 - 12:21 PM

#4 User is offline   Sw33t 

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:48 PM

No particular model, there was a few 1.6 Thunders made from what we know, but most were just 1.6 which were introduced late in the production.

#5 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:31 PM

The idea behind Nikasil was to eliminate the need for bore liners as the 1.7 VCT motor is a bored-out 1.4 and so has thinner walls. By using Nikasil to plate the bores they did not need to further bore the block to fit liners, increasing it's strength.

The integrity of the Nikasil plating seems to be a bit of a sticky subject though it's fair to say only a small minority of engines have ever had a problem. Most cars that have had the problem have now been repaired. A good rule seems to be quality oil topped up religiously, servicing on time and avoiding very short journeys..and of course not thrashing the engine until the oil (NOT the coolant) is warm.

Bear in mind that the earliest Pumas are now approaching 10 years old, are generally driven with enthusiasm so engine wear is expected- quite apart from the fact Nikasil has been used.

#6 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:18 PM

it appears that the engines done at the Spanish plant should in theory have higher quality control. One of the reasons to pull the lining to Spain from Japan. So say a late 1999 onwards engine is less likely to suffer failure as it was done in Spain again in theory. though by far the biggest killer of the 1.7 engine is lack of oil! In December approx 4 engines went on this site (oil!)
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#7 User is offline   katiesdad 

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:23 PM

Thanks for the info, What about the 1.6, I see from the performance fiqures that its not as quick, but is at as nice to drive?

#8 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:26 PM

it is a Puma, but there is no VCT. So may be a little dull engine wise in comparrison to the 1.7

but that also means it has more tuning options off the shelf and there is not VCT to remove/bypass if going for more serious tuning

probably more friendly to being oil starved too ja_stupid.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#9 User is offline   smila14 

• View gallery

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Jan 9 2008, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it is a Puma, but there is no VCT. So may be a little dull engine wise in comparrison to the 1.7

but that also means it has more tuning options off the shelf and there is not VCT to remove/bypass if going for more serious tuning

probably more friendly to being oil starved too ja_stupid.gif

Is the 1.6 puma engine the same as the 1.6 in a mk5 fiesta zetec s
W116 PBN - PUMA BOY SMILA
IPB Image

#10 User is offline   arcdef 

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (smila14 @ Jan 9 2008, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is the 1.6 puma engine the same as the 1.6 in a mk5 fiesta zetec s

99.9% sure it is

Sponsor my Charity Skydive For: Breast Cancer Uk British Heart Foundation
Thanks!!!

#11 Guest_jacko_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:46 PM

i can see all 1.7 engine blocks being replaced with 1.6 blocks eventually, keeping the vct on a 1.6 will not blunten performance too much at all & it should be an easy swap. itl over fuel slightly but there are a few ways round this....

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic