Pumapeople: Long Distance Driving - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Long Distance Driving

#1 User is offline   tomhlaing 

• Group: Members

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:49 PM

Over the next six months, I'm going to be working in Sunderland in the week, but will be driving back to south Derby on the weekends to see my partner.

So a 170 mile "fun" drive on the M1 and A1 drive each way...... (recon 500 miles including the commute to work in the week)

I orginianlly got the Puma as i only lived 15 miles from work. I'm not keen to get rid of the Puma for a more "sensible" car for the long journeys - some clown in the office suggested selling the cat for a diesel!

So is there anything different i should do on the maintainance front? Other than drinking more engine oil and putting a fair whack of mileage on the car, I'm guessing all else should be the same?

tom

#2 User is offline   JamesMalin 

• View gallery

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:02 PM

Check tyre pressures, coolant and oil levels weekly.

On motorways and A roads try to keep in 5th gear as much as possible and avoid heavy accelerating to conserve fuel.

If you believe many on here your'll be getting 400miles to a tank! rolleyes.gif
www.oc-motorsport.co.uk

For all Ford Servicing, repairs and conversions. Call or pm me for details. Based in Brentwood, Essex

www.stuffbymonkey.co.uk

Official Member Of The 'BIG HITTERS' Club

#3 User is offline   T1ny 

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:06 PM

don't work for rolls-royce aerospace do ya!!?

If anyone would like something "photoshoped" give me a shout- ill be more then happy to help.

I love this quote!!

the torque limiter values were increased during production on the 1.7 (it works by ignition retardation) the fastest 1.7s are the very earliest ones

#4 User is offline   tomhlaing 

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:08 PM

Coolants is one i hardly every check, Will pop out now to check as its still light.....

I suffer from what my GP calls "heavy right foot" a good tanks is 285 miles before the light pops on!

#5 User is offline   JamesMalin 

• View gallery

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:14 PM

Sounds about right im the same 250-280miles before petrol light.

Other than those things i can't think of anything extra your'd need to check.
www.oc-motorsport.co.uk

For all Ford Servicing, repairs and conversions. Call or pm me for details. Based in Brentwood, Essex

www.stuffbymonkey.co.uk

Official Member Of The 'BIG HITTERS' Club

#6 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:18 PM

I would say change boots wink.gif would be interesting to see if over a couple weeks you can't start getting 300+ from a tank smile.gif
Also I would get AA/RAC or similar breakdown cover.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#7 User is offline   T1ny 

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Jul 15 2009, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would say change boots wink.gif would be interesting to see if over a couple weeks you can't start getting 300+ from a tank smile.gif
Also I would get AA/RAC or similar breakdown cover.

When getting AA/RAC watch out for what cover you get...

i had the cheapest (once apon a time) and broke down. rang them, he couldn't repair the car on the side of the road... i did tell them over the phone but no, they still had to get some one to assess it before getting a tow truck (engine mount had snapped! ohmy.gif )

when the tow truck finally arrived i asked if i could be just towed home (15 miles)... but no, "can only tow you home if its 10miles or less on that cover... will have to tow you to the nearest AA breakdown centre...." bugger that i say!

got him to tow me the maximum distance and was gonna get my dad to tow me the rest. AA man finally gave in and just towed me all the way home smile.gif

This post has been edited by T1ny: 15 July 2009 - 08:59 PM

If anyone would like something "photoshoped" give me a shout- ill be more then happy to help.

I love this quote!!

the torque limiter values were increased during production on the 1.7 (it works by ignition retardation) the fastest 1.7s are the very earliest ones

#8 User is offline   zara014 

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:45 PM

Sorry to go off topic but where in Sunderland are you going?
what colours your kat... regy? lol

will keep my eyes out for ya! biggrin.gif
Posted Image
** Zara & FRP#014 **

#9 User is offline   m_kitty 

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:22 AM

if the roads are flowing you will probably get good mpg, i used to get around 44 at 70. the type of mileage isn't particualrly damaging either.

however the clown is right, if you can run to it an old oil burner it will be a lot cheaper to run and easier to do the long journey, though we parked up the puma rather than sell it. you can always use the short term insurance companies for a weekend blast.

#10 User is offline   tomhlaing 

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE (zarablackcoupe @ Jul 15 2009, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry to go off topic but where in Sunderland are you going?
what colours your kat... regy? lol

will keep my eyes out for ya! biggrin.gif

The factory is in the pallion industrial estate. But I'll be living outside of S'land, near washington probably as its close to the A1 and near to newcastle.

the Kat is listed as blue (its that light bluey silvery shade) with addition rust in the rear arch!
Look out for the oriental looking chap with specs singling along to his raio. (51 plate!)

#11 User is offline   Matt & Tiggr MKIII 

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:01 PM

Thats not a long drive wink.gif

I used to do Newcastle to Bournemouth on a monday morning and back on a friday night wink.gif 330 miles each way wink.gif

As for advice re your car, just whats already been mentioned, Check tyres before each long journey, keep washer topped up, oil and water checks, and keep winsdscreen clean ( may be worth uprating wipers )

Other than that the bit thats likely to wear out, is not the car, but the driver, esp if you aint used to distance work.

One other thing, strongly suggest if you dont already have one, that you get a sat nav that can take pocketgpsworld speed camera updates...

Matt and Tiggr

"i have seen things you people couldn't believe; attack ships off the shoulder of orion. I watched c-beams at the tannhauser gate. all these things will be lost in time....like tears in the rain........
Time....to...die........"

#12 User is offline   Flasher T 

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (JamesMalin @ Jul 15 2009, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you believe many on here your'll be getting 400miles to a tank! rolleyes.gif

I've gotten 150km a quarter tank down on the dial (and on a '98), so it's plausible.

#13 User is offline   Matt & Tiggr MKIII 

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:26 PM

Its perfectly possible - I managed it 11 times
Matt and Tiggr

"i have seen things you people couldn't believe; attack ships off the shoulder of orion. I watched c-beams at the tannhauser gate. all these things will be lost in time....like tears in the rain........
Time....to...die........"

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic