Pumapeople: Side Repeaters - Do These Look Right? - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Side Repeaters - Do These Look Right?

#1 User is offline   megaboost 

• Group: Members

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:32 PM

I decided to buy some smoked repeaters for my car and they arrived from the seller today - I've just been out to fit them and I'm not too happy with the way they go on, just wanted to check if they look normal really before I grumble to the seller.

I seem to be able to fit either of the repeaters onto the passenger side but neither fit the drivers side, if you look at the pic of the standard wiring / holders below you can see they are different lengths, the circular "cog" part is a different depth and the part the bulb goes into is too.

Issues with the repeaters in my opinion:

1. Edge chipped on one of them - obviously this is outside the scope of this question really but it adds to the annoyance.

2. The part that the bulb slips into isn't as long as the OEM one so when trying to fit to the standard bulb holder they don't go on far enough.

3. The "kit" comes with new bulb holders but they don't seem to fit anything obvious, I don't want to have to take my wiring apart and bodge it with new spade connectors.

Are there differences from the early Puma (mine) to the later ones when it comes to these?

Pictures:

And a comparison of the OEM bumb holders... normal?

And merged for a better comparison:

My thinking on this is that the smoked ones should be the same as the OEM and therefore fit but before I put this arguement to the seller I want to check I'm not the owner of some freaky setup where one side has the wrong OEM holder - over to you lovely people...

#2 User is offline   big g 

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:46 PM

have you test fitted them?
if they fit then there no problem.
with aftermarket products they will always vary from oem parts

#3 User is offline   megaboost 

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (big g @ May 8 2008, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
have you test fitted them?

Yes, that's how I know they don't fit wink.gif

Apologies if I wasn't clear but I thought I'd mentioned that I'd tried to fit them without success a couple of times in my original post.

if they fit then there no problem.

They don't fit for the reasons mentioned.

with aftermarket products they will always vary from oem parts

Not always, "pattern" parts are usually the same design, perhaps made from cheaper materials but the fit is generally the same.

Maybe my expectations are too high but I just expected to get some that fitted with minimal fuss, that doesn't seem to be the case here but is that because my OEM holders are different sizes or because the aftermarket parts haven't got the same design / tolerance as the OEM ones?

What I should have also said is that with the side pictured below (passenger) it won't push on far enough because the bulb / holder combo is too long and it pushes against the smoked lens part of the repeater and won't push in any further...

This post has been edited by megaboost: 08 May 2008 - 08:04 PM

#4 User is offline   Midnight Blue 

• View gallery

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:56 PM

I got smoked repeaters from Pumabuild for my '99 kat. I thought they were both the same size though.
Posted Image

I stole BenF's Thunder ...

Pat

#5 User is offline   megaboost 

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (Midnight Blue @ May 8 2008, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got smoked repeaters from Pumabuild for my '99 kat. I thought they were both the same size though.

Hi, thanks for your comments.

Are you saying that the OEM and the aftermarket repeaters were the same size (as I think they should be) or that your OEM bulb holders are the same size each side?

#6 User is offline   Mork of Ork 

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:09 PM

I think my bulb holders are different on each side. The smoked lenses I got fit but I did have some clear ones that didn't fit as well. It seems a bit hit & miss regarding quality imho.
There are only 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those that don't.

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!

#7 User is offline   Midnight Blue 

• View gallery

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:16 PM

I meant the aftermarket repeaters. Maybe they were a different size on each side - they've been on 2 years now (and after the problem I had getting the originals off, I am not going check to see if I am right or not!!). As for quality, mine are nothing special - considering how much they cost,
Posted Image

Pat

#8 User is offline   megaboost 

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:25 PM

Cheers, sounds as though it could be the repeaters at fault then - that's what I wanted to confirm really.

Will contact seller and see about sending them back for a refund, obviously happy to listen to more feedback in the meantime, especially if someone has a few seconds spare to pop their repeaters out to check if the white plastic bulb holders are a different size.

#9 User is offline   YOG 

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:35 PM

OK
Just checked my Thunder (built in Dec 2001).

Nearside and Offside Holders are completly different! The Offside will not even come out through the hole in the wing!

Nearside:
http://www.pumapeople.com/stuff/1208969592...1_18_465447.jpg

Offside:
http://www.pumapeople.com/stuff/1208969592...1_18_187653.jpg

The following is a comparison of my new clear and original amber. My amber appears to be shorter in length than the amber in the above photos and looking more like the smoked replacements. My clear look more like the amber in length in the above photos!
http://www.pumapeople.com/stuff/1208969592...1_18_466976.jpg

My new clear fitted directly on the original connectors shown in my links. The flashing brightness is slightly less than the original, as the longer body positions the bulb futher away from the lens.

Hope this helps. wink.gif

This post has been edited by 19rick47: 09 May 2008 - 02:37 PM

Rick

The Haynes Fiesta Manual (3397) can answer a lot of your questions.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   megaboost 

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:44 PM

Excellent feedback, thanks for taking the time to do that for me.

The seller of mine has agreed to take them back so I'll either tint the ones that are on the car or keep looking for some better replacements that are built to the same spec as the standard ones or are slightly longer to allow the clearance needed for the bulb.

Nice slippers BTW wink.gif

#11 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 09 May 2008 - 05:37 PM

lol my Fiat Coupé repeaters fit better than some of those 3rd party Puma ones roflmao.gif

#12 User is offline   YOG 

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (megaboost @ May 9 2008, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice slippers BTW wink.gif

I've got a pair in dark blue as well!! biggrin.gif
Rick

The Haynes Fiesta Manual (3397) can answer a lot of your questions.
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Mork of Ork 

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (BOK @ May 9 2008, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol my Fiat Coupé repeaters fit better than some of those 3rd party Puma ones roflmao.gif

I might get some of those if I can find smoked ones as yours look quite good as they are smaller than standard.

My bulb holders were the same as 19rick47's and my clear ones were like his too but I found they were too long and the smoked ones I have are the same as standard. huh.gif
There are only 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those that don't.

#14 User is offline   Midnight Blue 

• View gallery

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (19rick47 @ May 9 2008, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My new clear fitted directly on the original connectors

So did mine blush.gif - that explains why I didn't notice they were different sizes!
Posted Image

Pat

#15 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (Mork of Ork @ May 9 2008, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I might get some of those if I can find smoked ones as yours look quite good as they are smaller than standard.

PM me if fitting, they are surprisingly easy...

#16 User is offline   dai 

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (megaboost @ May 8 2008, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

is it me or do the smoked side repeaters look like they've been spray painted? i.e clear ones painted black/smoked?

#17 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (dai @ May 9 2008, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is it me or do the smoked side repeaters look like they've been spray painted? i.e clear ones painted black/smoked?

I thought that too, they got that dull, overspray finish and they are rather patchy...

#18 User is online   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE (megaboost @ May 8 2008, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it won't push on far enough because the bulb / holder combo is too long and it pushes against the smoked lens part of the repeater and won't push in any further...

I had this too with some after market repeaters from Motorfactor (can't remember the manufacture of the part) anyway they said for Puma, I said they don't fit and should not be sold for a Puma and got my money back. I had even cracked the mushroom casing with the bulb pushing to hard on it.

searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#19 User is offline   megaboost 

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (dai @ May 9 2008, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (BOK @ May 9 2008, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought that too, they got that dull, overspray finish and they are rather patchy...

The outer part has a nicer finish than they look in the pictures, a gloss effect, very smooth. However like you I think they may have been tinted from the inside, both have an area on the edge that's about the same size and untinted, I presume this is where they are held when sprayed.

Either way they have a very cheap feel to them, hopefully I can find some nicer ones soon - if anyone has a recommended supplier for smoked ones that definitely fit with no messing around please let me know smile.gif

#20 User is offline   Mork of Ork 

Posted 10 May 2008 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (BOK @ May 9 2008, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PM me if fitting, they are surprisingly easy...

I can only find clear/chrome ones and I would rather have smoked repeaters so I will stick with the Puma ones for now. I will PM you if I change my mind thanks for the offer of assistance. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mork of Ork: 10 May 2008 - 03:42 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic