Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Abs Sensor Help

#1 User is offline   matt3 

• Group: Members

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:15 PM

Hi guys,

I'm trying to sell my Puma but would like to check and replace the ABS sensor as it always makes a grinding noise at 5-15mph when coasting around car parks or at junctions.

How hard is it to change? Is it worth taking it to the garage? Any ideas on what a garage would charge? If I do it myself how available is the part?

Cheers guys :)

#2 User is offline   ScubaSteve 

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:02 PM

if your abs light on the dash constantly?

fitting is easy if you can get the bolt out, which usually you cant then end up needing bolt removers

a garage will probably charge you about 120-150 quid for parts and labour

This post has been edited by ScubaSteve: 28 August 2010 - 01:03 PM

#3 User is offline   matt3 

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:06 PM

No Warning lights at all. Ive had the noise for a year or two, where about is the ABS under the bonnet? Cheers

Ps. And it passed a major service and mot with out anybody saying anything, the car is safe to drive, just an annoying sound, which will put buyers off, I know it would me.

View PostScubaSteve, on 28 August 2010 - 01:02 PM, said:

if your abs light on the dash constantly?

fitting is easy if you can get the bolt out, which usually you cant then end up needing bolt removers

a garage will probably charge you about 120-150 quid for parts and labour

This post has been edited by matt3: 28 August 2010 - 01:08 PM

#4 User is offline   ScubaSteve 

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:32 PM

do the lights light up when you first start the car and go out after a few seconds? if so the grinding at 12mph when you first start the car and drive off is normal its the abs doing a self test

#5 User is offline   martinthrapston 

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:02 PM

1 of the wheel tones for the sensor has worn down giving a false reading,check the rears 1st as they are the 1's that normally cause this type of problem

#6 User is offline   matt3 

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:13 PM

It isn't the ABS checking itself, because it happens every time you crawl around 5-10mph in every journey. It looks like an ABS sensor problem, but some help directing me how to resolve the problem would be greatly appreciated:)

View Postmartinthrapston, on 28 August 2010 - 05:02 PM, said:

1 of the wheel tones for the sensor has worn down giving a false reading,check the rears 1st as they are the 1's that normally cause this type of problem

#7 User is offline   ScubaSteve 

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:23 PM

if it was an abs sensor problem the light would be illuminated at all times, as its happening more then once on a journey then it will more then likely be what martin suggested.

The tone wheel is located behind the front face of the drum, split the drum in two by undoing the hubnut, you will see the tone wheel inside, its just a case of prising it off.

be aware the hubnut will need retorqued to 235nm

#8 User is offline   Pumatt 

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:09 PM

What is the ABS cruch doing? because its pulling the car back as i do it (as it would dropping a gear) Its getting worrying. Is it just a case of changing the Tone wheel/s?

#9 User is offline   matt3 

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:02 AM

will there be any replacement parts needed for the wheel tone?

#10 User is offline   ScubaSteve 

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:03 AM

only the tone itself

#11 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:57 AM

View Postmatt3, on 28 August 2010 - 12:15 PM, said:

Hi guys,

I'm trying to sell my Puma but would like to check and replace the ABS sensor as it always makes a grinding noise at 5-15mph when coasting around car parks or at junctions.

This sounds typical of a rear abs problem... usually when the system is working but the tone washer is incorrectly spaced from the sensor... typically the tone washer needs to sit just under .5mm away from the sensor lead...which is extremely close.... if someone has done work on that area and tried to get away with re-using the tone washer this coud cause this issue.... the washer needs to be pressed down 100% evenly so that no 'warping' of the shape occurs....

they can be very fiddly to get right.... but as a basic rule...once you've knocked off the tone wheel off the hub ...don't try to re-use it!..replace it!..

:)

the ABS rear tone wheels are now around £21 each... Finis 7314843

this thread here (although FRP) has a little more info on this subject http://www.pumapeopl...howtopic=102232
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#12 User is offline   Pumatt 

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:04 PM

View Posteldoodarino, on 30 August 2010 - 10:57 AM, said:

This sounds typical of a rear abs problem... usually when the system is working but the tone washer is incorrectly spaced from the sensor... typically the tone washer needs to sit just under .5mm away from the sensor lead...which is extremely close.... if someone has done work on that area and tried to get away with re-using the tone washer this coud cause this issue.... the washer needs to be pressed down 100% evenly so that no 'warping' of the shape occurs....

they can be very fiddly to get right.... but as a basic rule...once you've knocked off the tone wheel off the hub ...don't try to re-use it!..replace it!..

:)

the ABS rear tone wheels are now around £21 each... Finis 7314843

this thread here (although FRP) has a little more info on this subject http://www.pumapeopl...howtopic=102232

Brilliant mate! thanks, been trying to work out this problem for ages... will this cause the Abs/Tc lights to stay on? On my list to do now :P

#13 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:15 PM

no, the problem being referred to, is when ABS seems to be working fine generally speaking, but gets confused at very low speed....if the light is on, there is a bit more of a definate fault with the function...ie...faulty lead etc etc....
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#14 User is offline   Pumatt 

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:47 AM

Rightio, The heavy knock has gone for now ( i wiggled my abs sensors around and it seemed to work.) I will replace my ABS and tone wheels when it comes closer to the MOT, not having ABS isn't bothering me to much at the moment.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic