• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why Is My Fan On So Much?

#1 User is offline   nammynake 

• Group: Members

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:30 PM

Hi all,

I've noticed that my fan seems to be running alot more often than previously. Even on short journeys the fan seems to come on. Any ideas guys, hope it's not going to cost lots of £££.

Cheers

#2 User is offline   AndyW 

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:42 PM

Is the engine overheating at all? What's the temperature gauge ready when the fan comes on?

Mine did this last winter. The engine wasn't even warm and the fan would come on constantly. Turned out to be a dodgy sender unit.
Looking for a paint correction service? Drop me a PM!

#3 User is offline   nammynake 

Posted 08 October 2007 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (AndyW @ Oct 8 2007, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is the engine overheating at all? What's the temperature gauge ready when the fan comes on?

Mine did this last winter. The engine wasn't even warm and the fan would come on constantly. Turned out to be a dodgy sender unit.

The temperature gauge is reaches pretty much dead centre, and doesn't change any further during driving.

#4 User is offline   Clawz 

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:12 PM

Do you have the aircon on?
The aircon rad has a temp sensor.. if it heats up (for example when you're not driving along fast enough), the fan kicks in.

Turn the aircon off and see if it goes away.
Jon
Melina blue 1.7 (11-1997)
Honda VTR 1000 SP-2 (2004)

#5 User is offline   nammynake 

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:01 AM

QUOTE (Clawz @ Oct 8 2007, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you have the aircon on?
The aircon rad has a temp sensor.. if it heats up (for example when you're not driving along fast enough), the fan kicks in.

Turn the aircon off and see if it goes away.

No the aircon is not on. Maybe worth a trip to the local garage me thinks...

#6 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:02 AM

Have you changed the heater control valve recently?

#7 User is offline   nammynake 

Posted 09 October 2007 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE (BOK @ Oct 9 2007, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you changed the heater control valve recently?

No, only had the car 5 months, and no alterations at all in this time.
Cheers

#8 User is offline   e3silversurfer 

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:50 PM

i think it is normal. mine turns on and is extremely loud... keep an eye on the temp guage as well as have a spare HCV on your vehicle with the tools for changing it. if the HCV dies suddenly, you might get temp going into red. which is what happened on mine. and I had to drive 7 miles home going 20mph on the dual carriageways cuz it is in red... sad.gif

This post has been edited by e3silversurfer: 09 October 2007 - 03:50 PM

#9 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 09 October 2007 - 04:25 PM

You are probably better off driving faster with a light engine load than at 20 mph if the engine overheats. The increase in airspeed will provide significantly more cooling. A fan running flat out is equivalent to driving at around no more 15 -20 mph...
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope - 1709)
Stop being spoon fed and GOOGLE it!

#10 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 09 October 2007 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (e3silversurfer @ Oct 9 2007, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think it is normal. mine turns on and is extremely loud

sorry but this is not normal, there is a fault somewhere ja_stupid.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#11 User is offline   Clawz 

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:31 PM

While were talking about fans... i've noticed the fan turns off as soon as you turn the ignition off. It doesn't keep running, almost as if it's fed by the switched 12V instead of the constant 12V (or it looses the temp sensor feed and thinks everything is okay).

Is this normal behavior, as it's the first car i've seen it on (on all the other ones keep the fan running after turning off the engine)?
Jon
Melina blue 1.7 (11-1997)
Honda VTR 1000 SP-2 (2004)

#12 User is offline   Midnight Blue 

• View gallery

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:34 PM

I'm sure mine doesn't keep running
Posted Image

I stole BenF's Thunder ...

Pat

#13 User is offline   Mountain Lion 

• View gallery

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:04 PM

Yes, I think it is normal for the radiator fan to cut out when you cut the ignition.

I first noticed this when my ex parked up her 1.7 Puma one night. The fan was so loud, I could hear it from inside the house. As soon as she switched the engine off, the fan stopped.

I noticed this a few times over about a fortnight. The first time it happened, I thought the engine was overheating because the fan didn't normally come on after her drive home. I started the engine and let it run for a while, but the temperature gauge didn't rise above normal.

About three or four weeks later, my ex reported that the temperature gauge was rising above normal. The problem turned out to be the thermostat, which wasn't opening properly, thus restricting the flow of coolant around the engine.

My theory is that before it seized completely, over a period of about three or four weeks, the thermostat gradually lost the will to open. For a while, it would have been able to open just enough to keep the engine temperature normal, with the assistance of the fan.

(the beauty of mathematics)

#14 Guest_jacko_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:24 PM

il second that - my thermostat gave me 2 weeks notice before it tried to fry my engine!!!!!!!

get it changed!!! its a fiver from ford (non ford ones dont have a thick enough seal)

#15 User is offline   gowman 

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:58 AM

Mine has just started having this problem too. Is the thermostat easy to change? Has anyone done it themselves before?

#16 User is offline   tom192 

Posted 10 October 2007 - 10:29 AM

i thought all fans on cars were supposed to keep running if needed when the engine was turned off in order to cool the engine down and stop heat building up? havent noticed if mine shuts off or not when you turn the iginition off.

#17 User is offline   Mountain Lion 

• View gallery

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:13 AM

I think that on most cars, the radiator fan does work independently of the ignition circuit. This is why you should never mess around with the blades of the fan when the engine's warm, even when the ignition's off.

Personally, I've never seen the point of this. When the engine's not running, the water pump won't be turning, so the coolant won't be flowing around the engine and through the radiator.

(the beauty of mathematics)

#18 User is offline   tom192 

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:37 AM

I never thought of that! suppose it does provide a bit of airlow over the engine though

#19 User is offline   halfpastsix 

Posted 10 October 2007 - 10:44 PM

The water will probably still flow round the engine in a convection cycle with the engine off. Early engines didn't have a pump at all, and just relied on this convection. Your central heating in your house is the same. The pump only does the downstairs radiators. The upstairs just circulate by themselves.
0-60, 4.4 seconds

#20 User is offline   nammynake 

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:30 AM

UPDATE:

Fan is still coming on pretty soon after setting off, however this morning the water temp needle was occassioanally moving up into the red, only to come back down again. I'm taking it to a garage at lunchtime, and crossing my fingers they can solve it, and that it's not going to be too expensive!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic