Pumapeople: Star Gazers - Pumapeople

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Star Gazers Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

Got to see Saturn's rings the other night, oh boy now that was a moment. Not disapointed with our telescpe at all.
Today I have picked up on ebay an old Canon Ixus camera that will take a CHDK image so that it will do clever stuff like long exposure and also motion detection amongst features so intend to have a go at some astro photography but might wait till when the evenings draw in again.
I also need to finish hacking my webcam apart to use with the telescope but really it needs a barlow to go with that and I am not going to shop for one of those till Christmas time.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#22 User is offline   CartMan 

• Group: Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

Nice :) was it hard to find? Looking forward to seeing pictures :)
1998 Puma 1.7 Replica FRP. innlet nr 138
Projekt tread http://www.pumapeopl...pic=104790&st=0

Time, is the fire in which we burn

#23 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

no Saturn was easy to find :) I use my Android phone t get general direction then take a punt
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#24 User is offline   CartMan 

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

Cool :) ihave a stargazing app on my phone to. But my telescope was so useless, i just put it in the basement :) lol

#25 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

I used my binocculars to see the BeeHive Cluster M44 and that looked pretty amazing (used averted eye gaze).
My telescope did not have a wide enough view eyepeice to see it, one will be on order soon to get lower magnification.

#26 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:45 PM

Bins are foobar and I have not yet bothered to try to dig around and try collinating them.
Still enjoying the heritage and yesterday got round to mullering a webcam in prep to have a go at imaging the moon.
So next job in attempting to install ubuntu on the old laptop as there is better webcam control under this.
For visiting home picked up cheap (had vouchers) a celestron c70 mini mak for day and night use. Plus side very light and so far useable for what intended. Sods law had 10 days in a dark location with it and it was cloudy! Daytime use was improved when using proper eyepeices.
So next post might have a shot to share.

#27 User is offline   CartMan 

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:41 PM

Jay :)

#28 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:58 PM

Thought I report progress, Ubuntu is installed and currently getting updates, after that I might then over upgrade to 12.04 (currently 11.10 due to lack of pae support on CPU on this old laptop)

#29 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:00 PM

Been very busy working on other stuff, laptop progress halted, but just got to see Jupiter for the first time, I used my posher 16mm eyepeice and could make out two bands plus 4 moons very visible. I do need to collimate the scope though. The supplied 10mm did not show any bands.
Cold bbrrrr

#30 User is offline   CartMan 

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

That's awsome :)

Tryed to have a goa t photographing the milkey way tonight, so I hoped in my land Rover, and drove into the woods in the mountians... But I'we lost my sky photographing skils it seems :(

#31 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:59 AM

Practice :-) can hardly make it out here, light pollution

#32 User is offline   CartMan 

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:18 AM

Light polution sucks.... that's why I went upp into the mountians :) it was a little scarry being upp there all by myselfe thoug :/

#33 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:21 PM

With the crappy weather got on and made a light shroud for the telescope. Used black kite material double folded, elastic and some Velcro.
Picture shows it fitted but not Velcro together and it dropped down a little from where it would be in use.
Posted Image

#34 User is offline   misspurringpuma 

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

View Posthappy-kat, on 06 March 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

This is coming next week :-)
http://waitingforiso...omet-panstarrs/
Nice picture a few stars too :-)
Got the web cam going windows needed a poke but sorted it.
Cloudy here still!
With what we choose being so portable may well take a trip away from town Warren. Trip to Jack and Jills.
All i have managed to do is line up the red dot finder, lol, cloud! and tonight rain...

#35 User is offline   misspurringpuma 

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

Hi Happy-Kat
I find these web sites useful in finding the up coming events happening in the sky,
http://www.astronomy.co.uk/news

http://www.seasky.or...endar-2014.html

#36 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

Thank you for the links particularly like the second one

#37 User is offline   misspurringpuma 

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:38 AM

No problem, Glad to help,
I enjoy looking at the star's, I'm hoping to find a good viewing place and see a meteor shower this year,
I have a telescope but needs some TLC
Been thinking of getting a new telescope one that you get a closer look at which ever event or planet you're trying to view,

#38 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:56 AM

Sounds like a mix, wide field maybe for events and long focal length for planets, we went for middle ground to get started with. Stargazerslounge forum is excellent for this hobby. Lol many people have several scopes!

#39 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

What's new, bagged a Canon 1100d in a Boots sale and used a discount code and it came with a 16Gb card and the IS lens for what they go second hand on ebay, really pleased.
Using the Nexus tablet and an app (less than £6 Play store) I can control the camera fully, so sitting outside with camera on a little tripod I can get it taking photos and change all settings really easly without contorting to look at the LCD screen.
This was a second go at Orion and near by stars (resized for here), 10 second exposure 9 lights and 5 darks, varying ISO from 800 to 1600 and one 3200. Used DeepSpaceStacker and Gimp. I took JPG probably should have taken raws.
Posted Image

#40 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

This is the tablet connected and it works brilliantly.
Posted Image
Have had three goes now and this was the last effort.
Posted Image
Quite enjing this experiment into taking astro images.
Have bought a second hand lens from the bay for peanute to try, a 28mm prime from the late 70s, very cheap and better to try that then an expensive new purchase that doesn't work out.
The Stargazerslounge is an excellent forum for this hobby and the hosts First Light Optics very helpful if wanting to buy gear.
This ongoing rain is puting a damper on things.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic