Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rear Wheel Bearings wearing out very quickly

#1 User is offline   whatsupwatson 

• Group: Members

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:33 PM

Heeelp!

The rear bearing went on my car a few weeks ago, i changed both sides. The offside completely collapsed and it felt like the wheel was going to come off!!. 2 weeks later the bearing wore out again on the offside having only driven 500 miles or so. I changed it again (thinking i had installed them wrong or left a part out) and all was fine for another week untill it happened again.

I dont know if it could be the hub/stub axle or the brake drum?? any help would be greatly appreicaited as I use my car for work and have to take time off when its not on the road :-(

Kieran

#2 User is offline   YOG 

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:06 PM

What make did you use and did you torque the hub nut to 235 Nm, to ensure the bearings had the correct pre-load?
Rick

The Haynes Fiesta Manual (3397) can answer a lot of your questions.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:29 PM

i suspect straight away you fitted 3rd party ones...

<_<
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#4 User is offline   dancer 

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:45 PM

View Postwhatsupwatson, on 12 December 2010 - 08:33 PM, said:

Heeelp!

The rear bearing went on my car a few weeks ago, i changed both sides. The offside completely collapsed and it felt like the wheel was going to come off!!. 2 weeks later the bearing wore out again on the offside having only driven 500 miles or so. I changed it again (thinking i had installed them wrong or left a part out) and all was fine for another week untill it happened again.

I dont know if it could be the hub/stub axle or the brake drum?? any help would be greatly appreicaited as I use my car for work and have to take time off when its not on the road :-(

Kieran

:)
Hi, it doesn't matter whether you fitted first, second, third or fourth 'party' bearings.

Wheel bearings do not collapse after 500 miles unless the correct fitment procedure has not been adhered to.

What method did you use to fit the bearing races? Any obvious wear on the stub axle?

You did grease them prior to fitment? Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but I don't know your technical capability.

Please let us know how you get on :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic