• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Track Day Turbo Puma Finished Rate Topic: -----

#141 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

• Group: Members

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:40 PM

Its torque you want for fast acceleration anyway!! 250lbft isnt shy in a light puma shell!!

Was it trying to climb out rollers as you have a sudden boost spike (and hence torque rise)??? or is it tracking out etc??

I had mine on the rollers a couple months back running 36psi and it was climbing out the rollers despite 4wd, water barrels in boot and rear seats and me and another lad sat in the boot :blink::blink: and im not exactly light weight!! And it was the way the boost kicked in that was doing it as the torque would climb a wall then hit a limit as it began to lean above 6k and the operator backed off. But my point is on 4wd that was registering as over 300lbft torque which is approx 150 lbft per axle on 10" tyres so with 250lbft through just the fronts its very easy to spin up on the rollers if your torque comes in suddenly!
Posted Image

#142 User is offline   bouncy 

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:21 PM

View Postwarrenpenalver, on 17 May 2010 - 06:40 PM, said:

Its torque you want for fast acceleration anyway!! 250lbft isnt shy in a light puma shell!!

Was it trying to climb out rollers as you have a sudden boost spike (and hence torque rise)??? or is it tracking out etc??

I had mine on the rollers a couple months back running 36psi and it was climbing out the rollers despite 4wd, water barrels in boot and rear seats and me and another lad sat in the boot :blink::blink: and im not exactly light weight!! And it was the way the boost kicked in that was doing it as the torque would climb a wall then hit a limit as it began to lean above 6k and the operator backed off. But my point is on 4wd that was registering as over 300lbft torque which is approx 150 lbft per axle on 10" tyres so with 250lbft through just the fronts its very easy to spin up on the rollers if your torque comes in suddenly!

Warren, it was like a caged beast :woot2:

You can tell on the rollers if its trying to climb out of them due to torque, if its a tracking issue it steers out of the rollers, if you get my meaning!!!

The rollers the were using have access to underneath the car so was well strapped down. Would suggest last run figures maybe a little off due to turbo shitting itself or on its way!!!

Turbo bearings had collapsed and broken a few vanes, so be interesting what the turbo builders have to say!!!

Heres a pic of it, you can see the impeller cockled over and a few vanes broken, its done the housing aswell.

Posted Image

#143 User is offline   bouncy 

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:54 PM

Heres a bit of advise, while on the dyno make sure you use heat reflected tape/wrap-whatever as it gets bloody hot and can often melt things!!!!

No prize's for guessing whats melted.......... :roflmao:

Posted Image

On a brighter note, Ive got the frp gearbox with the tran-x lsd all finished and nicely painted.

Posted Image

#144 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:12 PM

Gearbox looks lovely and that looks to me like the abs sensor loom lol.
Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

#145 User is offline   bouncy 

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:15 PM

View PostBig Boy Al, on 17 May 2010 - 08:12 PM, said:

Gearbox looks lovely and that looks to me like the abs sensor loom lol.

Done the loom twice now, you would have thought I had learnt my lesson the first time!!!! :head: :roflmao:

#146 User is offline   bouncy 

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:44 PM

This is my next project, car should be arriving tommorow........

Posted Image

This post has been edited by bouncy: 05 August 2010 - 08:40 PM

#147 User is offline   bouncy 

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:38 PM

Cant believe its been nearly 3 months sorting out the new Turbo!!!

I got into - shall we say "disagreement" with the company that built my Turbo. :cool2:
It was not what it appeared to be!. After alot of communication and blame the company agreed to supply me with a new one.

I decided on a new GT2560 and it was sent off to the fabricators to roughly make it fit. I got the call today saying it was ready and should be delivered tomorrow.

So game on!!! gawd ive bloody missed this car and need to get it running as its on show at the Track Rod Rally!!!

Oh and the C4's nearly done

This post has been edited by bouncy: 05 August 2010 - 08:39 PM

#148 User is offline   bouncy 

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:49 PM

God cant believe its been nearly a year since i started sorting out the turbo problem.

Dragged the car out from underneath the cobwebs and decided I better finish it off. Built a C4 and Pug 206 for the track since.Have missed the old girl and quite excited to crack on with it again.

Mounted new GT2560R turbo to manifold and bought one of those cheapo turbo elbows from good old ebay to help give us a starting point. Then got Bogg Brothers to make the down pipe in situ. Took bloody ages tacking it and trying to make sure it missed everything. We fitted the bung for the wideband lambda sensor and made a securing mount for the turbo body!! We matched the down pipe to the old flexi pipe and will fit a new one at a later date (just wanted to make sure it would all fit first).

The power steering pipes are in the way, so im re-piping it tommorow. took these photos before I wrap the exhaust!!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#149 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:55 PM

flippin heck a year!
why are you wrapping the exhaust?
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#150 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:50 PM

I thought you'd gone quiet for a while..

hope all is working well.. :cool:

Are you using the wideband for fuel calibration or just monitoring..??

The new max extreme Nitrous controller now has Full AFR control using wideband sensor... i'm wondering wether to go this route at some stage... :crazy:

Chris

ps..what was the issue with the turbo then..? it gave up the ghost?
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#151 User is offline   bouncy 

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:39 PM

View Posthappy-kat, on 13 July 2011 - 06:55 PM, said:

flippin heck a year!
why are you wrapping the exhaust?

Im wrapping it because its easier to wrap the exhaust than the driveshaft gaitor, Steering column plastic shroud and all the other bits that were melted by not wrapping the previous exhaust................lol!!!!!

View Posteldoodarino, on 13 July 2011 - 07:50 PM, said:

I thought you'd gone quiet for a while..

hope all is working well.. :cool:

Are you using the wideband for fuel calibration or just monitoring..??

The new max extreme Nitrous controller now has Full AFR control using wideband sensor... i'm wondering wether to go this route at some stage... :crazy:

Chris

ps..what was the issue with the turbo then..? it gave up the ghost?

Hi Chris, all is well Matey. Having to read through of a few threads to play catch up......lol!!!

Ive just been extremely busy at work and other projects took priority over the puma. The prob with the previous Turbo was that it was only a T2 and not a hybrid T28 I paid for. They refunded my money , but would have to take them to Small Claims Court to recoupe any other losses.
What happened was the Turbo had overspun itself when we tried to increase fueling so siezed on shaft and exploded!!!It had only done about 300 miles.

Im using a LC1 wideband controller for the standalone ECU.

Lee

#152 User is offline   bouncy 

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:34 AM

Hi Guys
I do hope you are all ok and im sorry ive not been on for a few years but life took an unexpected turn for me.

Unfortunately im going to have to sell my baby and id rather it go to one of you guys on this site as I enjoyed many a night chatting away to you all.

#153 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:09 PM

Sorry to read your update. Best of luck in re homing your Puma and in what ever you get up to.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#154 User is offline   bouncy 

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:03 AM

View Posthappy-kat, on 12 February 2015 - 04:09 PM, said:

Sorry to read your update. Best of luck in re homing your Puma and in what ever you get up to.

Thank you!!

Its nearly finished after big turbo, big injectors all fitted, it just needs a turbo oil return pipe making and that's it. ooh and turbo cover!

Im very tempted to break it as would get more money for it.

Ive got a brand new trans-x diff in a frp gearbox if anyone is interested!

Loads of puma stuff aswell, if I get time ill list it here for you all.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic