Pumapeople: Hideous Noise When In Motion - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hideous Noise When In Motion But does not seem to be the engine . . .

#1 User is offline   Pinhead 

• Group: Members

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:42 PM

Took Puma down to Devon for a weeks holiday last week. All through the week thought it would pack up at any time as a serious moaning noise developed and got worse, though respect to the car as its managed nearly 1000 miles like that.

Anyway, have dry docked it now since I don't want to make it worse and increase any possible damage. Its now so loud, you almost cannot hear anyone speak in the car, and it completely drowns out the radio. It sounds like a jet engine, or a combination of a whine, moan and perhaps a bit of grinding, that resonates through the whole car.

However, the car is only making this noise whilst in motion and it seems that it is not coming from the engine since it makes the same noise when the clutch is in/out, in/out of gear and only when it is in motion, not at all when standing no matter how much you rev the engine.

I suspected a wheel bearing and jacked up the side it seemed to be focussed on to see if there was any obvious damage to the wheel, hub, any play in the wheel, but nothing obvious. I have also noticed that its louder when cornering on that side (passenger side), and almost fades away when cornering in the other direction.

Anyone have any other ideas or things I could look for? Still suspect a wheel bearing, but have limited knowledge of such things. What other bearings are involved in the drive transmission that could be at fault?

#2 User is offline   martinthrapston 

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:48 PM

driveshaft cv joint???? at a guess and or a bearing issue aswell...

#3 User is offline   Pinhead 

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:32 PM

Is the cv joint the one usually covered by a rubber gaitor? If so, there seems to be a fair bit of goo building up around it and splattered up the back of the bulkhead - is the gaitor usually full of moly type grease? Could have split, shedding all its lube?

#4 User is offline   martinthrapston 

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:54 PM

sounds like the problem then if the cv boot is split and grease has gone from the joint.....

#5 User is offline   X8PAC 

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:56 PM

A failed wheel bearing can also make this noise.

#6 User is offline   Pug 

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:48 AM

View PostPinhead, on 17 May 2010 - 02:42 PM, said:

I have also noticed that its louder when cornering on that side (passenger side), and almost fades away when cornering in the other direction.

One other possible... arch liner (or something) rubbing on the tyre.

#7 User is offline   Pinhead 

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:25 AM

View PostX8PAC, on 17 May 2010 - 09:56 PM, said:

A failed wheel bearing can also make this noise.

I thought so too. Jacked it up and spun the wheel - no noise. However, sound only really appears at 10-12mph and above anyway, so cannot really spin fast enough. Also tugged at wheel to see if there was any play in it, but seemed as solid as normal. Went underneith car on that side and checked was clearing everything - wheel arches etc. Nothing fouling it at all. Noise does seem to sound very much like a failed bearing somehwere in that area, and the sound builds up in frequency the faster you go and reverberates through the entire car suspension, frame, the lot. Can even feel it coming through the pedals and the floor pan at my feet.

#8 User is offline   Pug 

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:01 AM

Might be a silly question but did you check all four wheels and not just the one you thought it might be?

#9 User is offline   Pinhead 

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:25 AM

Only checked both front wheels - noise is definately forward of driver. Will be putting it in tomorrow for this and other work (failed front ABS/TC sensors, failing starter motor, air con re-gas, suspension check, and more . . .)

#10 User is offline   Phasenoise 

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:15 AM

Drive carrier shaft bearing? Had a similar issue on mine.
Michelin Pilot Exalto / Speedline Turini Wheels / Motorcraft plug with Magnecor leads / Powerflex all round / Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W-30 Oil.

#11 User is offline   Pinhead 

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:28 PM

Was the wheel brearings - both sides - and hopefully the housing isn't damaged as well as have been driving like that for a few 100 miles. Plus, radiator leak, rear bushes, front shocks, front ABS sensors and starter motor all gone. Cost, wait for it, £943!!!! I am now so broke . . . :(

#12 User is offline   Pug 

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:12 AM

View PostPinhead, on 20 May 2010 - 01:28 PM, said:

Was the wheel brearings - both sides - and hopefully the housing isn't damaged as well as have been driving like that for a few 100 miles. Plus, radiator leak, rear bushes, front shocks, front ABS sensors and starter motor all gone. Cost, wait for it, £943!!!! I am now so broke . . . :(

Bloody hell, mate! :blink:
Where did you get it done, Ford themselves?
Time to take up amateur mechanics as a hobby, eh?

Were you having starter motor problems too then? :huh:

#13 User is offline   YOG 

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:45 AM

How strange, both front ABS sensors going at the same time?
Rick

The Haynes Fiesta Manual (3397) can answer a lot of your questions.
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Pinhead 

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:23 AM

Yeah, the starter motor has been going for a while now - sometimes it fails to turn over unless I give the starter motor a whack to release the seized pin. Even when it does work it makes a terrible noise, so decided to get it done at the same time. Both front ABS sensors needed doing, yes. ECU reported that one was not responding and the other was giving a negative voltage reading so had an error. Took it to Nationwide Autocare near me for the work this time, and I guess they charge up - most of the cost is labour. Taking it to independant garage shops locally has just resulted in work not being done properly, or just not being done at all in the past.

Yes, thinking of retraining from IT to become a mechanic . . .

#15 User is offline   Pug 

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:37 AM

View PostPinhead, on 21 May 2010 - 11:23 AM, said:

Yes, thinking of retraining from IT to become a mechanic . . .

Heh, I've done both; ran my own computer business and fixed my own cars yet most of my IT was self-taught and my mechanics was from training & previous job history... go figure! :lol:
It's amazing what you can do with Google & a good Haynes manual though (okay, sore point for the Puma but still, there's always this place).

This post has been edited by Pug: 22 May 2010 - 07:38 AM

#16 User is offline   Pinhead 

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:20 AM

Noise was the wheel bearings after all, as thought most likely. Both needed doing to balance the thing out. New bushes as well. Now drives like new. I did the plugs at the weekend myself - this made a huge difference to its running. The old plugs looked OK - all lightish brown deposits still. However, two had burned away a bit and so the gap was about 2mm+. All new ones set to 1.3mm as specified - now runs great - no hesitation when putting foot down any longer.

Pass side wheel still shakes as I'm going along however, this likely due to having curbed it a bit violently the other week which blew out a tyre and smacked the alloy. The alloy is now slightly distorted, which seems likely to be the cause of the steering wheel judder. So, need a new Puma "propeller" alloy. Seen them new for £175. Any idea if they can be sourced cheaper?

#17 User is offline   miwalker 

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:51 PM

Not sure where you are but I have set of props which I am splitting if you can get to Cardiff. £25 each.

Regards,

Malc.

#18 User is offline   pumapilot 

• View gallery

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:01 AM

View PostPinhead, on 21 May 2010 - 11:23 AM, said:

Took it to Nationwide Autocare near me for the work this time, and I guess they charge up - most of the cost is labour. Taking it to independant garage shops locally has just resulted in work not being done properly, or just not being done at all in the past.

Pumapeople has a list of Puma friendly garages, it is linked in my signature block.
Posted Image
Signature block created by Colin Y (BOK) & here as my tribute to him
Print your own Pumapeople fliers by clicking here
PUMA GARAGE LIST LINK
Tremona Garage

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic