Pumapeople: Grounding in boot and battery voltage - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Grounding in boot and battery voltage

#1 User is offline   Wingee 

• Group: Members

Posted 14 September 2004 - 08:08 AM

Hello, does anybody know of a good gounding place in the boot? I've used the big bolt for the spare tyre at the moment as it seems to work, but is that the best place?

I fitted a sub and amp in my boot last night, but I couldn't get it to work. The minimum working voltage for the amp is 10.8 volts, but after working in the dark with the interior light on it had gone down to 8volts.

In the morning I checked the car and it read 7 volts. Then i started the car for a bit and it went up to 8.5 volts. I then drove to work (10 minute drive) and it went down to 6.5 volts!!! I don't understand!!! Why is it fluctuating so much?!!

#2 User is offline   mc 

Posted 14 September 2004 - 09:50 AM

Where did you measure the voltage? At the battery poles or somewhere else?

#3 User is offline   Wingee 

Posted 14 September 2004 - 11:22 AM

No I'm just mesauring the voltage from the connecting block for the sub that is now in the boot. It seems really weird. I don't think my multi meter is dodgy as it's new and has been fine.

I checked it just now and it started at 7 volts then started dropping to 6.5 before I took it off again in case it was draining it!! Then I put it back on and it read 7 again!

#4 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 14 September 2004 - 11:26 AM

Hmmm,

I'd check straight from the battery to earth, looks like the sub may have a big resistor in there, or more likely your earth point is not that good.

Get decent earth strap and drill hole in floor (just make sure you dont go through the spare or the tank!)

If you only had 7 volts, you wouldnt be able to start the car

#5 User is offline   Wingee 

Posted 14 September 2004 - 11:41 AM

Oh really?? ooh Ok I'll have a look for a better grounding point somewhere else in the boot then....

#6 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 14 September 2004 - 11:49 AM

If you undo the rear door cards in the boot, there are several earth wires fitted in there for things like the alarm siren etc. May be worth piggy backing off one of those screws if you dont fancy adding more holes to the boot floor

#7 User is offline   pumachris 

Posted 14 September 2004 - 12:04 PM

If you peel back the side carpet on the left hand side and look under the plastic bit that holds up the parcel shelf, there's a decent sized bolt in there. I've got my amp and my power cap earthed on that and it seems to be fine.

#8 User is offline   Wingee 

Posted 14 September 2004 - 01:51 PM

so, I guess the best way to test if it's a good grounding source is to get the multi-meter on the live positive cable and on that bold to see if it works right??!?!!

#9 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 14 September 2004 - 01:55 PM

Yup

If you are not getting any more than 7 volts, then you have a problem with your live feed

#10 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 14 September 2004 - 06:17 PM

There is also one near the boot release motor on the passenger side below the tail lights.

Found this out when I fitted my internal remote boot release.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Wingee 

Posted 14 September 2004 - 08:48 PM

OK after some more testing, I found a good grounding bolt and it seems that solved it. I now have a good 12volts through to the boot. Only thing is now I can't get the damn sub to power up!!!....back to contacting Pioneer.... sad.gif

#12 User is offline   matty 

Posted 16 September 2004 - 11:15 PM

you dont need a multi meter to wire an amp up, all you need is good metal to metal contacts.
you can get away with worse earths than you can imagine, my 12" vibe amps earth is hooked up to my rear tail light cluster-body bolt and works fine....

this might sound stupid, forgive me if im wrong....

but have you forgot to hook up the "rem" socket on the amp to the power ariel output of the head unit.....classic mistake

also, ive blown many a fuse when tinkering with my amps power supply, check the fuse from the live +battery feed for the amp (will be close to the battery on the amp power lead) , and also check the fuse on the amp.
Mk5 1.7 pumaspeed fiesta with gas

My car

tarmac terrorism

#13 User is offline   Wingee 

Posted 19 September 2004 - 03:55 PM

I managed to get it working! It was the gorunding, I used the bolt under the bit of plasting that holds the parcel shelf up that pumachris suggested and it powered up!! FINALLY!!

Although I seem to have piggied it off the front speakers rather than the rear ones that I wanted to....argh, will have to get in there when I can bothered and change it round!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic