Pumapeople: Look At Your Speedo Or The Road? - Pumapeople

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Look At Your Speedo Or The Road? A Quick Poll To See Where Our Priorities Lie... Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Speedometer or People? (54 member(s) have cast votes)

When driving, do you think it's better to keep an eye on your speedo to ensure you don't go over the limit, or to keep your eyes on the road and risk those few extra miles to make sure you, uh, don't kill anyone?

1. Speedometer folks, it's my moral benchmark! (3 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

2. Uh, the road 'cos I have few pedestrians strolling across my dash.... (20 votes [37.04%])

Percentage of vote: 37.04%

3. I have the ability to look at the road AND keep a lookout on the speed I'm doing (31 votes [57.41%])

Percentage of vote: 57.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_Sarah_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:49 AM

OK, so we've had some interesting debates about the immorality of speeding, with several PPers claiming to have 'nevernevernever' broken the speed limit. Interesting how you'd know, hey? So, with this in mind, I've decided to open up a poll to see where your eyes are looking when you drive around....

#2 Guest_XIIVVX_*

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:04 PM

Driving either of our cars I reckon I can estimate speed to about + / - 5 mph from noise and peripheral vision.

The trouble is 5 mph is enough to get you 3 points. However I will continue to pay far more attention to the road than the speedo, because it is better to avoid a loveable little moppet at 35 mph than to run over her at 30 mph

And just to make my position totally clear - In the lower limits I do my very best to stay under them, sometimes well under, they are usually there for a practical reason.

50 and 70 mph limits are in my opinion fair game. I pay virtually no heed to them, suiting my speeds to the conditions. Sometimes this means I am under the posted speed and sometimes I am not.

XIIVVX

#3 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:09 PM

You should be able to quick scan the dash, thats why the needle is red, so you have a good idea where it sits on the gauge. If people cannot cope with multiple inputs of information then they shouldnt be allowed on the road.

#4 User is offline   Dan 

• View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (Tiggr @ Mar 22 2007, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should be able to quick scan the dash, thats why the needle is red, so you have a good idea where it sits on the gauge. If people cannot cope with multiple inputs of information then they shouldnt be allowed on the road.

Indeed, which is why the way the question is worded, nobody is going to vote for the speedo. That would just be stupid!

It is more important not to kill someone, but is equally important to obey the law.

This post has been edited by Dan: 22 March 2007 - 12:14 PM

#5 User is offline   spenspuma 

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:13 PM

Funnily enough this has been an argument of mine for a while.

This government have made us so aware of our speed what with the ever mounting numbers of GATSOs and Mobile Tax revenue collectors-sorry i meant Speed Vans that people are spending more time concentrating on their speedos than whats ahead of them.

So...are the speed cameras saving lives or are then in effect 'causing' more incidents??...interesting.

I can lay claim to the fact this very same thing has happened to me....till recently i had 9 points on my licence for piddly little speeds (37,37 & 38) and obviously i was worried sick about losing my licence IF i was caught again, so i was constantly looking at my speedo whilst driving....So much so that one day i saw a speed camera approaching so i double checked my speed- at the very same time that a pedestrian had hit the button at the crossing placed just prior to the Gatso - i saw the red light at the last minute but i couldnt stop in time and ended up running the red light....and you guessed it, a Police car was waiting to pull out at the junction to the left and saw it all !!!....he duly pulled me over, but luckily my begging obviously pulled on his heart strings and he let me off.

So IS this obsession with raking money into the govt by tax cameras REALLY making our roads safer????...im not so sure.

More worrying in my case wasnt the fact i could have lost my licence for trying to actually make sure my speed was low...But the fact that i could have killed a pedestrian because of it.

Interested topic Sez smile.gif

This post has been edited by spenspuma: 22 March 2007 - 12:14 PM

SPENCER
FORD PUMA THUNDER 2002 (SOLD)
HONDA CRZ 2013

#6 User is offline   spenspuma 

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:20 PM

I agree with you Matt....But when youve got 9 points on your licence and you are fully aware that being off guard just ONCE could cost you your licence...your Job...Your House and all that goes with it, then you become paranoid and with me i'll admit i was spending too much time making sure i was driving bang on 30mph that it became habit to constantly take regular glances at the speedo- and these are all vital seconds where im not looking at the road ahead and could well be that half a second where a young child runs out in front of someone - ie ME !!.

Luckily enough ive relaxed a bit now....but the problem is there and im sure others with 9 points are in the same situation.

This post has been edited by spenspuma: 22 March 2007 - 12:22 PM

SPENCER
HONDA CRZ 2013

#7 User is offline   Stacey 

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:20 PM

Have to agree with Matt on this one (shock, horror!) that you should really be able to quickly glance at your speedo and see what speed you are doing.
If you have been driving long enough I think you can 'feel' what speed you are doing anyway.

#8 User is offline   Dan 

• View gallery

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (spenspuma @ Mar 22 2007, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Funnily enough this has been an argument of mine for a while.

This government have made us so aware of our speed what with the ever mounting numbers of GATSOs and Mobile Tax revenue collectors-sorry i meant Speed Vans that people are spending more time concentrating on their speedos than whats ahead of them.

So...are the speed cameras saving lives or are then in effect 'causing' more incidents??...interesting.

I can lay claim to the fact this very same thing has happened to me....till recently i had 9 points on my licence for piddly little speeds (37,37 & 38) and obviously i was worried sick about losing my licence IF i was caught again, so i was constantly looking at my speedo whilst driving....So much so that one day i saw a speed camera approaching so i double checked my speed- at the very same time that a pedestrian had hit the button at the crossing placed just prior to the Gatso - i saw the red light at the last minute but i couldnt stop in time and ended up running the red light....and you guessed it, a Police car was waiting to pull out at the junction to the left and saw it all !!!....he duly pulled me over, but luckily my begging obviously pulled on his heart strings and he let me off.

So IS this obsession with raking money into the govt by tax cameras REALLY making our roads safer????...im not so sure.

More worrying in my case wasnt the fact i could have lost my licence for trying to actually make sure my speed was low...But the fact that i could have killed a pedestrian because of it.

So if there was no GATSO and you had paid less attention to the ABSOLUTE accuracy of your speed, you would have been more aware of the red light and stopped... or would you have been going faster and got through before the pedestrian hit the button wink.gif

I do agree though, the fear of getting points on licence (for insurance premium hikes if nothing else) means that concentrating on absolute speed when travelling past GATSOs means you can end up 'driving without due care and attention'. What's more important?

Another point is the people who don't anticipate GATSOs (or do and don't care about anyone else on the road) and overtake etc and then jam on the brakes!

#9 Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:24 PM

OK, so I have admittedly emphasised the difference between the two activities in the way in which I worded the question, but I agree with Spens' point that the concentration that people give to their speedos when going past Gatsos leaves the road unmanned...and pedestrians/kids/animals are all unpredictable. A quick glance is enough for me, granted, but as XIIVVX says too...better to avoid a kid at 35mph than hit them at 30mph. I think accurate observation and quick reactions are far more important

QUOTE (spenspuma @ Mar 22 2007, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you Spenny biggrin.gif

If people cannot cope with multiple inputs of information then they shouldnt be allowed on the road.

So you'd condone using a mobile in a car, and perhaps a sat nav barking instructions at the same time.....?

#10 User is offline   cj_fab 

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:25 PM

i check my speedo every so often. i did scare myself the other day was i glaced down a lil to long and then when i looked up all the traffic was braking mellow.gif

This post has been edited by cj_fab: 22 March 2007 - 12:26 PM

#11 User is offline   spenspuma 

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (Stacey @ Mar 22 2007, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have to agree with Matt on this one (shock, horror!) that you should really be able to quickly glance at your speedo and see what speed you are doing.
If you have been driving long enough I think you can 'feel' what speed you are doing anyway.

Its easy to say that...but it all changes when your just 3 points from losing your whole livelyhood.

What i found myself doing was noticing the Gatso and then glancing at my speedo to see i was doing something like 33 mph and then i kept looking at it until i had slowed down to 30mph so i KNEW i couldnt get caught.....its only fractions of a second we are talking here, but thats all it takes for an accident to happen.
SPENCER
HONDA CRZ 2013

#12 Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (Dan @ Mar 22 2007, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Indeed, which is why the way the question is worded, nobody is going to vote for the speedo. That would just be stupid!

Looks like someone is.... wink.gif

It is more important not to kill someone, but is equally important to obey the law.

Uh, how can it be MORE important to not do something alongside doing something that's EQUALLY important?

This post has been edited by Sarah: 22 March 2007 - 12:30 PM

#13 Guest_XIIVVX_*

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:29 PM

Dan.

You might like to review that sentence. It doesn't seem to make any sense. Probably the juxtaposition of 'more' and 'equally'. It can't be both.

Curse you Johnson. Beat me to it. stickpoke.gif

XIIVVX

This post has been edited by XIIVVX: 22 March 2007 - 12:30 PM

#14 User is offline   spenspuma 

QUOTE (Sarah @ Mar 22 2007, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So you'd condone using a mobile in a car, and perhaps a sat nav barking instructions at the same time.....?

I agree...and on a similar issue and one that annoys the hell out of me-

Its illegal to use a mobile phone while driving, but its not illegal to drive while having a burning stick in your hand (ie SMOKING!!) dry.gif
SPENCER
HONDA CRZ 2013

#15 Guest_Tiggr_*

If the sat nav is giving you audible directions then yes, you should be able to cope with that too. Driving is more than just watching where you are going, as Rob says, he has a good idea of his speed from what his ears are telling him about the engine noise.

Mobiles are a different kettle of fish, as that implies you are not concentrating on the driving. People come up with the same old bollox about "well you have a conversation in the car with a passenger". Yes you can, but you also tend to have an extra pair of eyes that may just see that child.

I'd rather be in traffic where the other drivers are aware of their speed, as well as the surrounding space, than not to be honest.

#16 User is offline   spenspuma 

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (Sarah @ Mar 22 2007, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like someone is.... wink.gif

Oh..and that wasnt me!!!...i havent voted yet
(I know what you lot were thinking!! laugh.gif )
SPENCER
HONDA CRZ 2013

#17 User is offline   Stacey 

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:31 PM

If it distracted the person enough to cause them to crash etc, then yeah I would too..

A woman in my work was saying how she has two kids and everytime they are in the car with her she nearly crashes because they scream blue murder in the back... dry.gif

#18 User is offline   Dan 

• View gallery

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:32 PM

OK OK I realised the error prior to posting but thought it may be overlooked. How silly of me laugh.gif

replace 'equally' with 'also'

#19 Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (Tiggr @ Mar 22 2007, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the sat nav is giving you audible directions then yes, you should be able to cope with that too.

No, I don't think you 'should.' It's not part of the driving test, it's not something that you have to be able to cope with in order to get your licence. 'Should' is becoming subjective, methinks....

QUOTE (Stacey @ Mar 22 2007, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it distracted the person enough to cause them to crash etc, then yeah I would too..

So you'd condone using a mobile phone if it caused a crash? Are you sure you're not thinking of 'condemn?'

#20 User is offline   scumski 

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:33 PM

I broke the rules and answered a mobile.I was expecting a call from the garage to say my Puma was available for pick up.That cost me £60.00 and 3 points.47 in a 40 zone....................I no longer have the phone on in the car.

I like to think I am safe but we are all fallible.

Wonder if heads up displays on windscreens make any difference.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic