Pumapeople: Engine Problem - Car Not Starting At All. Starter Motor? - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Engine Problem - Car Not Starting At All. Starter Motor?

#1 User is offline   Poly 

• Group: Members

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:59 PM

Hello Folks,

I have just towed my g/f's car up the road 20mins ago (a member on here obv.). I got a call saying the 'Y' reg 1.7 Ford Puma (125bhp) she has would not start. So I had a look at it and tried to start the car but nothing happens except the Oil, Battery and Transmission light stays on. I've checked the engine bay for any loose wires etc. and the Oil and Coolant levels are fine.

I know nothing about Fords or their engines (ZetecS) (a Seat man myself! ) and a member over on SeatCupra.Net. I was thinking it was the starter motor as the engine doesn’t even try to start when I turn the key. This car has been very reliable and great it only has 48567miles too. I wonder if any of you guys have had similar problems and know how to resolve them? I’ve done a search and nothing seems to hit the spot .

If you need any more info just ask.

Help would be much appreciated, as I'd like to get her back on the road ASAP to do what Puma drivers do best - DRIVE! biggrin.gif

Cheers

#2 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:41 PM

do you get a clicky noise when trying to start? (is the battery dead)
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#3 User is offline   Poly 

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Feb 18 2008, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
do you get a clicky noise when trying to start? (is the battery dead)

Yea - I've got the battery off now and charging.. The lights etc were working fine but probs didnt have enough amp to turn over the engine. wink.gif Cheers Kat

#4 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:07 PM

Check the date on the battery- if it's 4 years old or older replace it before it expires in the middle of nowhere...

#5 User is offline   Poly 

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:12 AM

Ok folks,

Charged the battery last night for a good 6-7 hours, Put it back in the car this morning and nothing - just the same results. I can here a ticking when the ignition is turned over. I think im going to have to go with Dal on this one and presume its the starter motor. She said the car juddered as if it had stalled when she went to start the car - maybe it was the starter packing in?

So I now need some info on where the starter motor is on the ZetecS lump (pics if possible?). I have a feeling its at the Left Hand Side of the engine by the manifold?

Cheers

#6 User is offline   marc t 

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:50 PM

Have you tried jump starting it/ trying a known good battery as if the battery is dead, charging won't help.

#7 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:09 PM

if the original battery I would change it anyway for a new one, it owes you nothing if lasted 6+ years.

Jump starting is a last resort, unless you like killing cats wink.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#8 User is offline   melinamotor 

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:04 PM

You say you have a clicking noise when turning her over, or is it just one little click and then nothing ?
Ex Melina 1.7,ex FRP441,ex Silver 1.7
Currently.
BMW M3. www.tremonagarage.com

#9 User is offline   julie36 

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:44 PM

my starter went on my x reg,didnt get a clicking just dead,hope u get sorted asap smile.gif
now a mazda driver !

#10 User is offline   springfire 

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:57 PM

Sounds like mine a month or so ago. After a cold night, she suddenly wouldn't start. There was plenty of juice in the battery, and got just a single click from the starter motor. Couldn't get it to a garage for a couple of days, bump started her, and drove to the garage. (I know it's not ideal, but it was only once, and there was no other way to get her to the garage)

Turned out it was the starter motor (which was my original diagnosis, despite nearly everyone else saying it was the battery) and probably the original one (10 years old) You could change it yourself if you're mechanically inclined, but it is a bit of a pig to get to. The mechanic was cursing about having to undo all the wiring for the alternator to get to it, so I'd rather leave it to someone whom you've got a degree of comeback on if they're a problem.
Nice to know that democracy is alive and well, and that we got to defend ourselves. Not.

#11 User is offline   Gaz 

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Feb 19 2008, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if the original battery I would change it anyway for a new one, it owes you nothing if lasted 6+ years.

Jump starting is a last resort, unless you like killing cats wink.gif

Killing CATS through bump starting :rofl: ... Did a bloke in a pub tell you?

How does starting a car via bump start knacker the CAT. Do tell me.... rolleyes.gif

Enough juice to drive the fuel pump and the first ignition will burn the inlet charge? So what harmful stuff is dropped into the exhaust manifold?

This post has been edited by Gaz: 21 February 2008 - 11:19 AM

#12 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:38 AM

oh, I read it that bump starting a car with a catalytic convertor was not a good idea, if it could be avoided, as it might/can put unburnt fuel in the convertor which ages it

if this is pants then that is great to know in case I need to bump start my car smile.gif

(the old addage, reading is not always good for one... oh well) await the mechanical response smile.gif

#13 User is offline   YOG 

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:25 PM

A Bump Start:

A bump start is where you sit in the car while three mugs (helpers) push it (preferably down an incline), until you get a little speed going.

While they're all sweating, you're in the car with the ignition on, the car in second and your foot on the clutch. When you feel you have enough speed, you let your foot off the clutch and hopefully, the engine should fire.

Please note that if you stall it immediately after this, your three helpers will beat the cr*p out of you.
Rick

The Haynes Fiesta Manual (3397) can answer a lot of your questions.
Posted Image

#14 Guest_jacko_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:36 PM

make sure all the earth leads are on..... iv done this & its embarrassing as hell calling out the rac after uv swapped a starter motor....!!!!!

iv got a good 2nd hand starter knocking about, urs for £30 posted

its on the front of the engine passenger side of engine block just below all the intake gubbins & attached to the bell housing of gearbox, 3 bolts & fairly easy job... (iv swapped one at 5am before driving 300 miles to cornwall!!!!)

#15 User is offline   melinamotor 

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (jacko @ Feb 23 2008, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
make sure all the earth leads are on..... iv done this & its embarrassing as hell calling out the rac after uv swapped a starter motor....!!!!!

its on the front of the engine passenger side of engine block just below all the intake gubbins & attached to the bell housing of gearbox, 3 bolts & fairly easy job... (iv swapped one at 5am before driving 300 miles to cornwall!!!!)

Absolutely agree,hence the reason I asked how many clicks if any he had when turning the key, didnt recieve a response so gave up biggrin.gif

Ex Melina 1.7,ex FRP441,ex Silver 1.7
Currently.
BMW M3. www.tremonagarage.com

#16 User is offline   Moss 

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (jacko @ Feb 23 2008, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you got Air-con?? I've just spent 2 hours under mine trying to remove the starter motor, but have given up as it was too cold and too difficult!!!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic