Pumapeople: Track Day Preparation - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Track Day Preparation Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Lucky Pierre 

• Group: Members

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:25 PM

I did a Brands Hatch day in December in my standard 1.7, which was great fun - the highlight was overtaking a (cautious) 911 :-) I've got a couple of good pics which I'll try and post later.

The only modification I made was fitting the Red Dot discs (which are great, thanks Pumabuild) plus running the tyres about 5psi higher than normal to protect the sidewalls.

I ran the car for about 15 to 20 mins each time, then let it cool down for a bit. However, towards the end of the day you could hear boiling under the bonnet, so something was getting quite hot.

I'm going again on Monday so my question is what else can I do to the car to help protect it?

#2 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 22 February 2006 - 01:12 PM

Check your brake pads to make sure you have enough pad material for another track day.

I'm very surprised the standard brakes actually lasted.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope - 1709)
Stop being spoon fed and GOOGLE it!

#3 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 22 February 2006 - 01:35 PM

It's a fab track biggrin.gif
I have managed 6 sessions in one day at Brands without any 'boiling' noises.

Is your coolant currently still with enough coolant or have you been topping it up with water maybe?
Assume you already make sure your oil is changed more frequently than once a year, and that you have decent tryes with no bulges etc. and that your brake fluid is not well old, though I expect Alan stuck SRF in it wink.gif

The only thing I don't like about Brands is that there is little parking on the flat so I hate just leaving it in gear with no handbrake cause you have to remember that when getting in again wink.gif

I went this time last year and there was snow on the ground, but the track was dry, boy it was cold though smile.gif

enjoy ja_cool.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#4 User is offline   Lucky Pierre 

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:35 PM

As for tyres I've got Pirelli P6000's and both them and the brakes seemed to cope fine. Although I have to admit they were grinding a bit after I left the circuit after the final session but were back to normal by the time i got home an hour later.

I have absolutely no idea what brake fluid etc I have but the last two services have been at PB so hopefully Alan did the honours. I'll specifically mention it next time I'm there.

HK - you say you did 6 sessions but how many laps were you doing against how much cooling off time? And you've got an FRP so presumably a lot more able to deal with track work than my 1.7.

I've been keeping an eye on FRP's for sale on this site (I'd want one with an LSD for track days) but also tempted by VX220's...

#5 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:49 PM

unless you said you were going to track your Puma then I don't expect PB would do anything other than what you ask and/or what was due service interval wise.
Me I now have SRF but before that I still changed my brake fluid every two years and not three as per the book (IIRC)
I did 6 sessions of about 15-20 mins each and there was approx 40 minutes between each session, even when I went again in July and it was really hot I had no boiling noises, I'm not mechanical, hopefully you will get better replies this eveing smile.gif I did as many laps as I could wink.gif
I may have an FRP but the basic engine is the same 1.7 unit.
'Grinding a bit' that sounds odd, would have thought you would have basic brake fade which as far as I know doesn't make a noise. Grinding sounds more like you ran out of pad ja_stupid.gif

Did you use any oil did you notice?
I always use a bit when I have been on track.

You can always retro fit an LSD unit, so if the price is right it might be an option when looking to

I had a Ferari spin out in front of me w00t.gif which was pretty blink.gif when doing about 80

searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#6 User is offline   David 

Posted 22 February 2006 - 05:21 PM

good.gif Excellent! Glad you had a good day there. Boiling noises from the brakes are common unless the fluid is up-rated - my FRP suffered the same problem around Brands. It was much improved with suitable fluid.
Some people up the tyre pressures, some don't. Personally, I don't.
20 minute stretches are about the right length of time I'd say, but it literally depends on how the car 'feels'.
Admittedly, though, on road tyres after 20 mins on a dry track the tyres would start to get a bit hot. Although that is with continued fast lapping.
David - Clio Trophy now sold! Megane R26 on the way - ETA March 1st 2008.
Ex-FRS #2787 - Ex-FRP #383

#7 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 22 February 2006 - 05:27 PM

I found I had to let air out as my tryes where riding too high after a hot session, but I only did this once to get the rigth balance. Started on normal pressures to like David.

Personal choice on how you think the car feels smile.gif

#8 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 22 February 2006 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Feb 22 2006, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had a Ferari spin out in front of me w00t.gif which was pretty blink.gif when doing about 80

and an st up your botty. lol

Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

#9 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 22 February 2006 - 05:43 PM

the gap increased tongue.gif through Surtees

#10 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 22 February 2006 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Feb 22 2006, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the gap increased tongue.gif through Surtees

wink.gif wink.gif
Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

#11 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:19 PM

how did it go the track day yesterday ? the weather was good ja_cool.gif

#12 User is offline   Lucky Pierre 

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:14 PM

Yep weather really good - in particular it helps keep tyres a bit cooler.

I did about 80 laps I think, and used an entire tank of optimax in just 100 miles :-)

With a couple of instruction sessions I finally I think I found the limit of the (standard) Puma too, and it is very forgiving. Getting gradually quicker and quicker into Paddock mean you first feel the car is moving slightly, then you feel proper drift and throttle adjustability, then you feel oversteer (once!) which is simple to control. After that, you have loads of confidence to simply throw it into corners and see what happens. Huge fun...

Highlight of the day - overtaking a blue caterham!

Downside - getting undertaken by 911's lunging up the inside and having to run very wide.

Am thinking of doing the Bedford day on 13th March...

#13 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:24 PM

ja_cool.gif sounds like it was a very good day biggrin.gif (don't forget to check your oil level) Love Paddock Hill too good.gif how were your brakes this time?

#14 User is offline   Lucky Pierre 

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:34 PM

Oil - good point. I also drove all the way home with tape still over the lights roflmao.gif muppet!

Brakes fine, and was leaning on them heavily. The Red Dots seem to groan a bit when cold but by 2nd or 3rd lap are silent. No fade at all after 15 hard laps under instruction, so i'd totally recommend them.

This post has been edited by Lucky Pierre: 28 February 2006 - 10:36 PM

#15 User is offline   Roth 

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:11 PM

Looks like it will be great fun, wish I had the balls to do things like that biggrin.gif

#16 User is offline   Lucky Pierre 

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:50 AM

Will post if I book Bedford, in case anyone fancies coming along. I want to take the car for a run at the weekend first, just to make sure it runs fine...

#17 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:14 PM

I usually use about 1/4 litre of oil per track day, how much did you use?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic