Pumapeople: Coolant Colour And Specification - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Coolant Colour And Specification

#1 User is offline   Raymond 6030 

• Group: Members

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:04 PM

Can anybody advise on this basic question about coolant please? I have a 1.7i (1998 model). The coolant in the engine at present is orange in colour. According to the Ford Puma Owner’s Guide, the Ford specification for the orange coolant is WSS-M97B44-D. I have a bottle of Ford coolant with this specification, but the coolant is blue not orange. The Owner’s Guide specifically says not to mix different colour coolants. The specification given in the Owner’s Guide for “Vehicles with blue/green coolant” is different. It appears I have bought the correct coolant, but it is a different colour from what it is supposed to be and the Owner’s Guide says I should not mix different colour coolants. The level had fallen to just below minimum, so I've topped it up to minimum with tap water, but I'm wary of diluting it too much by topping up to maximum with water.
Incidentally, I e-mailed Ford with this question and their customer relationship department were utterly unhelpful - they told me to either ring their premium-rate number or ask a dealer. I suppose they are interested in flogging new cars rather than helping existing customers. Apologies for that minor rant - just wanted to get it off my chest.

#2 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:20 PM

Coolant should be changed every 10 years. If your coolant was changed now at a garage I wonder what colour they would use.
I can understand your caution with it being winter and not wanting to dilute it any further. I can't help though as I don't know. There is an article in the wiki on coolant from memory.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#3 User is offline   YOG 

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:25 PM

http://www.pumapeopl...lant/Antifreeze
Rick

The Haynes Fiesta Manual (3397) can answer a lot of your questions.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Oates 

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:59 PM

I will admit, the 97 plate I bought recently also had what seemed like a dark blue coolant, after the garage changed the timing belt and water pump, they replaced the coolant with a more pinky coloured coolant,which is what I can recall been in my newer thunder.

This post has been edited by Oates: 02 March 2018 - 05:07 PM

Matt

#5 User is offline   Raymond 6030 

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:40 PM

Thanks for your replies - especially the link to the wiki article. It sounds like the best approach is to have the orange coolant replaced with purple when the time comes.
I must get hold of a copy of the Fiesta Mk4 Haynes manual. Knowing that there isn't one for the Puma I didn't bother looking into it at the time I bought the Puma.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic