Pumapeople: Steering Wheel - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steering Wheel

#1 User is offline   frp0092 

• Group: Members

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:56 PM

OK folks...I'm sure this has been raised before, but.....

My FRP steering wheel is worn and spoils the overall look of the inside of the car. Before I go and fork out big bucks to Ford for a replacement, has anyone had there wheel re-trimmed? And if so, by who, where and how much?

Thanks

Simon

#2 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:14 PM

not heard of anyone having the frp wheel re-done but some people have had the standard one done too replace the leather. so would imagine it can be done but think the alcantara is quite pricey but not as dear as a new wheel i would imagine.

Pumabuild sell new ones here mate.

Pumabuild.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=69&osCsid=b207444d95a4335387e4d5162b9b10ca" target="_blank">click me
Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

#3 User is offline   pumarv6 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (frp0092 @ Mar 10 2006, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK folks...I'm sure this has been raised before, but.....

My FRP steering wheel is worn and spoils the overall look of the inside of the car. Before I go and fork out big bucks to Ford for a replacement, has anyone had there wheel re-trimmed? And if so, by who, where and how much?

I'd almost certainly put money on it just being dirty rather than worn out. If you are seeing black areas on the alcantara that look like the wheel is going bald, then this is just an accumulation of dirt, skin grease and skin cells etc... mellow.gif

A good wash will no doubt return a like-new blueness smile.gif Don't scrub it though, as you'll make the alcantara go bobbly.

#4 User is offline   frp0092 

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:11 PM

Yes, it does look worn and though it's gone a little down the Kojak route.

Any tips (other than don't scrub) about how best to clean it, what products to use etc?

Thanks for your help.

Simon

#5 User is offline   pumarv6 

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (frp0092 @ Mar 10 2006, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, it does look worn and though it's gone a little down the Kojak route.

Any tips (other than don't scrub) about how best to clean it, what products to use etc?

Thanks for your help.

Simon

Cleaning products used vary from Autoglym Interior shampoo to Fairy soap.

Use plenty of moisture to make the material moist, and dab at the dirty areas. Use white cloths and you'll see the dirt you are removing. Dab it dry. Keep repeating till it is as blue as the seats smile.gif

Probably best to sit in the drivers seat with a towel in your lap as it prevents you dripping on the seat.

#6 User is offline   johne 

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE (pumarv6 @ Mar 10 2006, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Probably best to sit in the drivers seat with a towel in your lap as it prevents you dripping on the seat.

Having carried out this procedure several times i would recommend that you prepare yourself for the occasional odd look from your neighbours wink.gif

This is the best way to do it though, be patient and resist the urge to rub, even a little bit. Patience is the key.
Ex-Ford Racing Puma 159/500
Ex-Puma Black
Ex-Fiesta Zetec-S

#7 User is offline   frp0092 

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:57 PM

pumarv6,

I owe you a few beers 10.gif ....think you saved me the best part of Å“300!

Took your advice about cleaning the steering wheel.....and after about 4 hours it's come up an absolute treat. I'm really pleased as it was the only thing that was letting an otherwise fantastic car down. I was convinced that it had worn right through...but gladly you were right.

Cheers mate.

Simon

#8 User is offline   pumarv6 

Posted 12 March 2006 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (frp0092 @ Mar 11 2006, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
pumarv6,

I owe you a few beers 10.gif ....think you saved me the best part of Å“300!

Took your advice about cleaning the steering wheel.....and after about 4 hours it's come up an absolute treat. I'm really pleased as it was the only thing that was letting an otherwise fantastic car down. I was convinced that it had worn right through...but gladly you were right.

Cheers mate.

Simon

You're welcome - Very pleased to hear it worked for you smile.gif

#9 User is offline   Sambo 

Posted 12 March 2006 - 11:10 PM

Im going to give this a go too smile.gif Myn looks like its worn but when i get a free hour in daylight ill give it a good old scrub bleh.gif

Will report back

Sam
IPB Image
FRP #59 | Petrol is in the veins baby !

#10 User is offline   Hatton 

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:11 AM

Its mazing how bad they look when dirty. Bit of fairy liquid and a good old dab and your laughing smile.gif

#11 User is offline   V4FRP 

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:51 AM

Wish I'd seen this before I bought V4 a new steering wheel ( just added it to the original cost of the car though) however I've now got a nice clean spare for when Mrs B wears out the new one! They really do cone up a treat. Any way however that you can get rid of the bobbly bits?
Dave

#12 User is offline   spacedmonkeys 

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:50 PM

Someone asked this before, and one of the solutions was to use some of the "Home Dry Cleaning" liquid, they even posted a pic of the resultsa nd they looked amazing. I have been looking for some of this home Dry-Cleaning substance for ages now and never found any, does anyone (or the person who used it) know the name of this stuff, and where it can be got from?

#13 User is offline   PG12 

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:54 PM

Personally, I wouldn't touch the Alcantera on the steering wheel with any 'fluids' - the glue on the back holding the fibres in and to the underlying wheel is very fragile - esp if you've still got the original steering wheel - it's 6 years old

My original wheel Alcantera went fluffy, came away from the wheel and tore off one day...

This post has been edited by PG12: 15 March 2006 - 04:55 PM

RPJ DAMPENERS - POWERFLEX ALLROUND - JANSPEED SS SYSTEM - SOLD - probably in bits now...

#14 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (spacedmonkeys @ Mar 15 2006, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Someone asked this before, and one of the solutions was to use some of the "Home Dry Cleaning" liquid

I wouldn't use this either... to risky it woudl disolve the glue backing over time.

Good old fairy soap for me
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#15 User is offline   Mountain Lion 

• View gallery

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (spacedmonkeys @ Mar 15 2006, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Someone asked this before, and one of the solutions was to use some of the "Home Dry Cleaning" liquid, they even posted a pic of the resultsa nd they looked amazing. I have been looking for some of this home Dry-Cleaning substance for ages now and never found any, does anyone (or the person who used it) know the name of this stuff, and where it can be got from?
ja_stupid.gif Sounds familiar. Oh yes, I remember....

http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31454&hl=

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Mar 15 2006, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't use this either... to risky it woudl disolve the glue backing over time.

Good old fairy soap for me
Don't worry Kate. In the name of science and for the good of Pumanity, I'll continue with the experiment so you don't have to. wink.gif

(the beauty of mathematics)

#16 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:51 PM

lol, I'm glad wink.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#17 User is offline   FRPV52 

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:03 AM

I used a dry cleaning fluid on mine - afetr doing the soap massage thing and not getting a great result.

The dry cleaning fluid was sprayed on lightly and left for about 2 hours then brushed off.(instructions say best overnight).

The wheel came up lovely and the alcantara is in good condition still.

Cant remember what I used but still have container and will let you know what it was when I find it.

peter (FRPv52)

#18 User is offline   Sambo 

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:44 PM

BEFORE

AFTER

More updates to come later

Sam

Used this - http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/Mou...on/Spotless.jpg

smile.gif

Sam
IPB Image
FRP #59 | Petrol is in the veins baby !

#19 User is offline   JamesMalin 

• View gallery

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:01 PM

Ok this reply is rubbish on my behalf.

I do remember enquiring to a company of re-trimming my std Fiesta ZS steering wheel in Red Alcantara and theu quoted me Å“105 thats with sending the wheel off myself to them.

Obviously i'd have to take it off my car and refit it but thats easy.

I'll try and find the company but surely a local bodyshop could quote you a price less than Å“230 for a brand new one??
www.oc-motorsport.co.uk

For all Ford Servicing, repairs and conversions. Call or pm me for details. Based in Brentwood, Essex

www.stuffbymonkey.co.uk

Official Member Of The 'BIG HITTERS' Club

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic