• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Frp #401 Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   Fatttty 

• Group: Members

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

View PostBentleya, on 07 December 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

I'm not sure if there are acid bath as such, my local powder coaters use a water based cleaning solution instead now.

To be fair he said he would 'dip' it, so i assumed acid, perhaps you are right Aaron :)

#42 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

Little more progress-

Got the final colour nailed and painted the boot floor and chassis legs over the weekend. I'd originally wanted to use Ford Dove Grey, but after a quick first coat I didn't like it so made my own pale grey colour. Its difficult to tell the colour in the photos cos of the work lights and the garage being dark. But it looks great in the light so hopefully will look nice, bright and clean.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Made my new rear brake lines from the copper tubing I'd brought a few weeks back with some help from my uncle.

Old V's New-

Posted Image

New stainless brake line connectors-

Posted Image

Started to sort through all the clips and parts I've picked up from Fords the last few months. Here's just a few that are needed to replace most of what I have removed so far lol

Posted Image

This week I'll be sanding the old paint off the fuel and brakelines running down the centre of the car before giving them a quick coat of paint, also need to seal and paint my rear arches. My rear axle should be back this side of Christmas so I can hopefully start piecing her back together again around January :)

Alex

#43 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

Haven't updated this is ages-

UPDATE: Had a bag of shininess the other day. My rear axle, stub axle and fuel tank bolts all blasted and zinc coated for protection. Just waiting on my rear axle to come back from the powdercoaters in the new year. Then can start putting her back together again :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Alex

#44 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

UPDATE: After taking a rest from the car for Christmas and new year I got back into the garage late last week and got cracking again

I've got the majority of the underside of the car painted now. The main floor pan and exhaust tunnel are done. Just need to done the edges where the floor meets the sills.

Can't tell the colour too well again but...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got some of my new clips fitted, new brake line, fuel line and handbrake cable clips. Only got a few on so far got about 10 more to go on-

Posted Image

Posted Image

The fuel lines that ran from the front to the back of the car were looking tired and were covered in horrible thick underseal, I rubbed them down with wirewool and light sandpaper and gave them a quick coat of grey stone chip paint.

Much better :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still got some little jobs before I rebuild her. Got the offside rear arch to paint as well. Should be done this week :)

Thanks, Alex

#45 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

UPDATE: Finally got my rear axle back from the powdercoater. Was worth the wait though, the finish is awesome :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got the fuel and brake lines all clipped up and in place. Also fitted the new rear copper brake lines I made a few weeks ago.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Later today I should be rebuilding the rear axle, fitting the heat shields, exhaust and hopefully the fuel tank! Starting to finally come together again!

Thanks for looking, Alex

#46 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

UPDATE: Made some really good progress this weekend guys :) got some of the collection of my new parts ready to fit on the car...

Posted Image

Brand new exhaust heat sheilds fitted, the car should have 5 in total, originally I only had one lol! So new ones werer purchased from Ford along with the retaining clips, really glad I got these as they look fantastic, really shiney :D

Fitted:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

New full stainless Piper exhuast system from Pumabuild:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

New stainless Piper backbox that I machine polished. Had this sitting in my spare room since last October! The Mrs was very pleased its finally on the car now!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also fitted the fuel tank, new fuel filter and fuel evapouration box:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also got the rear axle bolted to the boot floor, got the hubs, discs and calipers to fit this week.

Will keep you all updated.

Alex

#47 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

Not done much on the car the last few days because of the weather. But did manage to get a coat of lacquer on my callipers, carriers and axle spacers.

My manly clothes airer...

Posted Image

And my Goodridge rear flexi brake lines arrived as well :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Should have some updates later this weekend.

Thanks for looking, Alex

#48 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

UPDATE: Ok update time :)

Finally had everything ready for rebuilding my brakes and hubs...

Posted Image

Masked off the disks and painted them with a quick coat of hammerite smooth silver-

Posted Image

Painted hubs with new bearings-

Posted Image

Starting to put it all together, new disc splash guard and hub splindle fitted-

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hub fitted on-

Posted Image

On to the brakes, discs and calliper carrier fitted-

Posted Image

New Pagid brake pads-

Posted Image

And callipers fitted with Goodridge flexible rear brake lines-

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's all for now guys :)

Alex

#49 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

Got the calliper and brakes fitted to the other side last night, sorry for the poor photo. There's about 6inches between the car and the brick wall!

Posted Image

Rear view of the calliper, disc brake and disc splash guard-

Posted Image

Went round all the new fitted bolts and torqued them.

Few more photos of the underside, only 2 more days until I get see it in natural sunlight :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for looking, Alex

#50 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

Ok, Sunday was a big day, finally finished getting the brakelines connected. Topped up the brake fluid and bled the brakes. Got a bit of fuel in the tank, put the wheels on and dropped the car.

Got it moved outside and gave her a quick wash, took so long the light was fading by the time I managed to get the phone out to take some photos. Only got a couple in the light and they are not the best but thought I'd put them up anyway...

Rear of the sill looking from the fuel tank, fuel filter down the length of the car-

Posted Image

Under the boot, rear axle, fuel tank and rear beam-

Posted Image

Posted Image

All was going well, too well with the car starting fine and no warning lights I was waiting for something to crop up as they always do. Took the car down the street to see how it drove. Queue a horrible grinding noise :( think the discs and pads need wearing in, but also think the new wheel bearing i fitted it either fitted wrong or duff as it seemed to be coming from PS rear of the car.

Oh well, a task for another day.

All in all really pleased with the finish underneath though :)

Alex

#51 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

Little update, me and my dad tweaked the flexi rear brake lines slightly so they now clear the back of the wheels and don't rub. Torqued the rear wheel bearing up to 235Nm so its all nice and tight now.

Took the car out last night and all seems / sounds fine. Unfortunately the ABS / Traction control light has now come on so not sure whats going on there. A job for another day I think..

Got a little job done that had been bugging me, my rear drivers side sill had got some overspray on it from when I had stoneguarded the underside of the car. So I clayed and hand polished to remove this.

Also went round and touched up the little chipped areas of the boot floor that had been knocked or missed when putting the car back together.

Over sprayed sill-

Posted Image

CLayed and polished :) -

Posted Image

More to come this weekend folks :)

Alex

#52 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

some real nice progress there pal, are you going to treat the front of the frp with the same love and care?

cheers Kieran (FibreBuild)

#53 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

View PostKizza, on 14 March 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

some real nice progress there pal, are you going to treat the front of the frp with the same love and care?

Thanks Kieran, yes the front end will receive similar treatment. I'm in the process of sourcing parts. Got a set of new front struts and springs, the Alcons will go to Eldude hopefully in the next few months, the front wishbones are new powdercoated items so they wont really need doing. Hoping to get to powdercoat the front subframe too at some point.

Alex

#54 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

well il be keeping an eye on this thread as always ;)/>

#55 User is offline   CartMan 

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

Oh, to have the time and patients to do is. This is superb :) defenetly one of the cleenest once out there, if not the :)
1998 Puma 1.7 Replica FRP. innlet nr 138
Projekt tread http://www.pumapeopl...pic=104790&st=0

Time, is the fire in which we burn

#56 User is offline   evilrob 

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

Stunning work!

Posted Image

Please stick me on the waiting list of people who would like to be the next owner of #401 (although you're clearly not doing all this work without the intention of keeping it for a looooong time!) Posted Image

#57 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

View PostCartMan, on 14 March 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

Oh, to have the time and patients to do is. This is superb Posted Image defenetly one of the cleenest once out there, if not the Posted Image

Wow thanks Cartman, there are a lot of amazing examples out there, that really means a lot thank you :D

View Postevilrob, on 14 March 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

Stunning work!

Posted Image

Please stick me on the waiting list of people who would like to be the next owner of #401 (although you're clearly not doing all this work without the intention of keeping it for a looooong time!) Posted Image

Haha I will start a list of prospective new owners for her :P my plan is to keep her for the long term. Though there have been times during this that I've wanted to throw the towel in. Still got to sort the rear ABS out, not sure if its the sensors or the tone ring on the hub. May take it to PB and let them sort it once its back on the road properly.

Alex

#58 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

So little update from a few weeks ago, been touching up the underbody paint mainly along the edges where the floor meets the sills. I also touched up a few of the little chips that had occured whilst putting the rear axle back onto the car.

Jacked up and supported-

Posted Image

Paint touch up along the sill edge (there's another chip I noticed since taking that photo just above the hinge on the axle)-

Posted Image

Really pleased with the progress so thought it would be rude not to crack out a mirror and look at my hard work :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

New battery coming this weekend so hopefully can move the car and make soem more progress.

Thanks for reading, Alex

#59 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

LATEST UPDATE- Well progress has been a little slow the past few weeks. The battery had finally died so I purchased a new Bosch item and she sparked back to life :)

Outside enjoying the sunshine-

Posted Image

She was in one piece for about 3 days before she was back in the garage and work began on the engine bay detailing. The plan is to completely overhaul everything possible. But I started by removing the larger / easy to remove parts to help gain more access to the bay for cleaning.

Headlights removed to gain access to the chassis legs for degreasing and cleaning. The headlight cases will be wet sanded and machine polished while they are off the car.

Battery and battery tray removed to gain access to the top of the gearbox and mount so this can be cleaned, degreased and painted.

Scuttle / rain tray removed for cleaning, wiper arms and wiper motor removed for cleaning and detailing.

Here's how she stands at the moment-

Posted Image

I'll carry on removing the airbox and air mass sensor etc, new coolant and powersteering containers have been ordered from Fords as well :)

More to come in the next few weeks!

Alex

#60 User is offline   Fatttty 

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

So the Mrs was at work yesterday so I had the afternoon to play on the Puma. I rolled the front end of the car out of the garage, I'd already removed some of engine bay parts to gain better access to the hard to reach areas.

I used engine degreaser and APC along with a firm brush and degreased the chassis legs, suspension turrets and behind the rain tray scuttle area.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Removed wiper motor assembly for better access behind the scuttle, hoovered this to remove most of the leaves and crap then rinsed and cleaned with APC.

Posted Image

Something that had bugged me about the engine bay was a metal bar across the back of the bulk head (not sure what it is or what it does lol) but it was grubby and tarnished-

Posted Image

Spend a good hour with an emery cloth followed by Megs metal polish, looks much better now-

Posted Image

Hands took a beating...

Posted Image

Removed the left hand engine mount as it was also tarnished and grubby, will be degreasing this and painting it later this week-

Posted Image

Lots more to come over the next few weeks guys :)

Alex

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic