Pumapeople: What Are The Original Wheel Centres Meant To Look Like? - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Are The Original Wheel Centres Meant To Look Like? Boring topic, but I need to get the car as original as poss

#1 User is offline   DanFMC02 

• Group: Members

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:32 PM

Does anyone know what the original wheel centre caps should be like?
The ones I've got (and want to replace cos they look tatty against my refurbed wheels) have a shiny silver background and blue Ford badge, but I've seen some cars have "Ford" in blue and "Motorsport" in red underneath it.

Ideally V4 FRP might be able to help as he has a press car too?

Has anybody bought the original ones Pumaspeed sell?

#2 User is offline   pumarv6 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:35 PM

The ones you have are the correct items for when FMC02 was on press duty.

The ones you refer to are the caps developed for the Ford Racing Ka, and subsequently fitted to many FRPs. These were foil over foam. Pumaspeed and Pumabuild sell replicas that are engraved stainless steel.

#3 User is offline   V4FRP 

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:46 PM

As Ed says the originals are the plain Ford logo not the ones with ford logo and Racing in red underneath. Are the ones fitted to FMC02 stainless steel if so you could refubish them I managed to refurbish the racing ones on V4 quite easily. If not I got a set of Stainless centre from Ben Addison a number of months back perhaps he has some more.

Good to see FRUPs brother is in good hands we must get them together again. Have you added him to the list of FRP's yet and more importantly are you coming to the Combe meet where we're trying to get as many FMC cars together as we can?

#4 User is offline   DanFMC02 

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (pumarv6 @ Feb 10 2007, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The ones you have are the correct items for when FMC02 was on press duty.

The ones you refer to are the caps developed for the Ford Racing Ka, and subsequently fitted to many FRPs. These were foil over foam. Pumaspeed and Pumabuild sell replicas that are engraved stainless steel.

Is there anything you don't know about FRP's? laugh.gif

(sorry for asking that in the wrong section blush.gif )

#5 User is offline   V4FRP 

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:51 PM

I have a photo taken of V2 while in San Francisco on my other computer so I'll copy it later and stick it in the gallery. It's a magazine scan but is quite good.

#6 User is offline   DanFMC02 

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (V4FRP @ Feb 10 2007, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As Ed says the originals are the plain Ford logo not the ones with ford logo and Racing in red underneath. Are the ones fitted to FMC02 stainless steel if so you could refubish them I managed to refurbish the racing ones on V4 quite easily. If not I got a set of Stainless centre from Ben Addison a number of months back perhaps he has some more.

Good to see FRUPs brother is in good hands we must get them together again. Have you added him to the list of FRP's yet and more importantly are you coming to the Combe meet where we're trying to get as many FMC cars together as we can?

Thanks for replying. Sadly they're just plastic with a shiny badge in the middle. I think I'll give Pumaspeed a ring on Monday and see what the 'originals' they have look like compared to the stainless ones.

Yep. I'm definately planning to be at Combe.

#7 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:02 PM

where are you travelling from as we covoy round the bottom of th m25 and along th m4 and stop at a few services on the way.
Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

#8 User is offline   DanFMC02 

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (Big Boy Al @ Feb 10 2007, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
where are you travelling from as we covoy round the bottom of th m25 and along th m4 and stop at a few services on the way.

I'm coming from Abbots Langley in Herts, so not far from the M25 but on the top. I can meet you guys at a services if thats ok?

#9 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:20 PM

the centre caps you currently have you can buy new from your local Ford parts counter.
I have three spare ones, though the white has discouloured behind.
Personally I don't like the stainles ones as they aren't original wink.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#10 User is offline   pumarv6 

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Feb 10 2007, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally I don't like the stainless ones as they aren't original wink.gif

Neither are white wheels though...wink.gif

#11 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:25 PM

but the actual items is still original wink.gif any time can be refurbed. Not like I changed them for other wheels... wink.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#12 User is offline   pumarv6 

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:29 PM

True smile.gif In the same way the stainless caps can can be removed and plastic ones fitted to original spec though wink.gif

#13 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:35 PM

but hardly original given the intent of the poster wink.gif

#14 User is offline   Mountain Lion 

• View gallery

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:35 PM

Here's me levering out the original cheap and nasty insert from a centre cap...

(the beauty of mathematics)

#15 User is offline   DanFMC02 

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:38 PM

Yeah, sadly mine are in that condition.

#16 User is offline   pumarv6 

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:39 PM

Be careful with levering, as it marks the edge of the plastic cap.

If you soak the whole cap in boiling water, the adhesive degrades and it is easier to remove the foam insert.

#17 User is offline   V4FRP 

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:48 PM

They might not be original but the stainless steel ones look the same and will hopefully last a little longer than the plastic film covered ones. I've got a set of Ben's stainless ones that I'm looking at sat on me desk at the mo and they look great. Just need some plastic thingys to stick them in.

Be great to see you at Combe.

If you PM me your email address I'll try to email you the photo of V2, apologies my system through a company server will not allow me to put it in the gallery.

#18 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:53 PM

they look nothing like the same ja_stupid.gif one says Ford and the stainless ones say Ford Racing.

#19 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:55 PM

nope you can get stainless ford ones too
Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

#20 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:58 PM

ooh smile.gif a new offering, haven't seen those yet. Probably bette then I never fitted my stainless FR ones as don't really like them.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic