• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

24V V6 Cosworth Puma Project Rate Topic: ***** 5 Votes

#101 User is offline   Dave2302 

• Group: Members

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:24 PM

HK,

Finished car is "tested" like an MSA MOT lol. Photo's not neccesary, although they can prove useful.

In our Rally Club, a mate of mine is a Scrutineer, and giving me advice along the way. Once it's finished before I can Rally it it has to have a CCLB, (Competition Car Log Book), which means it has a right thorough going over by a Scrutineer and anything he's not happy with is then rectified before issue of the CCLB.

I have already written to MSA detailing the modifications, and their reply was that it all sounded fine, except I would not be allowed to use an engine size of 2993cc with Turbo(s), Thats why I'm putting the engine in N/A first. I have a good spare quad cam V6 Cossie in the shed which, after the car is done, I will be putting a shorter stroke crank in to bring the cc down to2449, longer con rods, girdle, lower compression and loads of other mods, then the MSA will be fine with Turbo(s), cos it'll be under 2500cc !! Silly really cos it will have far more power and rev more freely :) :) :)

V411,

Sounds like a plan ;)

Cheers Guys,
Dave
It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice !!

#102 User is offline   Dave2302 

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:51 PM

Quite a lot of work today but not much to show for it lol,

Started pieceing the chassis back together layer by layer, following the new route around the rear suspension subframe and suspension arms. There are 4 layers of steel making up the Pumas rear chassis, forming 2 box sections, one inside the other, with the inner one double skinned.

This took quite a bit of time and I'm about half way through it now, cos each layer neccesitates putting the subframe up to make a cardboard template, cutting and shaping the steel and tacking it in, then removing the subframe again to weld it in. The only good thing is cos its the same both sides I can cut 2 identical plates and then curve / fold them for left and right side, so I'm basically doing both sides at the same time.

I don't do a lot of sheet metal work, so my cutting tools are limited to tinsnips and a jigsaw, so it's all a bit painfully slow atm, but I have 2 skins of chassis rail in now, all looking neat and fitting in nicely so hopefully will finish the chassis tommorrow, then it's on to fabricating a beam for the rear diff mounting.

It's looking like I may need to notch the chassis slightly further back for driveshaft clearance but I shall wait until the shafts and struts are in and see if I need to do this with the suspension on full bump ;) Its close but they may just clear, all depends how much travel I get when the struts are in and under full compression.

This is fairly easy to do, I had to do it on my 4x4 Sierra front chassis, basically just cut a curved notch in the rails, as small as you can get away with, then weld 2 layers of semicircular steel in to form a little arch to clear the driveshafts :)

I have also been looking at the wiring pin outs for the Puma ECU and the 24V Cosworth ECU, both are Ford EECV system.
They are basically the same so I can use the entire Scorpio Engine Bay loom, and take the Puma ECU Plug off the Puma loom and just put the earths, dash connections data links etc into the Scorpio ECU plug, the pin locations are pretty much the same :) :) :)

Looks to be easier than when I did the Sierra / 24V cos that needed a lot of extra wires putting in the car loom, whch the Puma loom doesn't need because they are already there ;)

Happy Days :)

Thats about it for today, more pics to come hopefully tommoz, of new / reshaped rear chassis.

Thanks for yor interest in my project,

Cheers

Dave

#103 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:27 PM

Keep at it mate I think it's all brilliant . Wish I had the know how and time to do this :-).

Bagsy a ride in it when it's all done. :-).
Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

#104 User is offline   Dogsbody 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:38 PM

If you have been looking at the ECU pin outs, I presume my letter arrived ?

I use some very thin cutting disks in my 4" grinder, they go through like a knife through butter but don't take loads of metal away. They are only about 1.5mm thick.
Great for cutting rusty section out on the stiletto.
MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

#105 User is offline   Dave2302 

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:59 PM

Cheers Al,

Scream around the Isle of Skye no problem ;)

Graham,

Yes post arrived safe and sound, thank you very much, it was much appreciated. Apologies, I thought I had pm'd you but it turns out that was someone else who sent me some 4.0 Explorer con rods.

I use 4" and 9" grinders with thin slitting wheels for cutting out the unwanted sections on the car. Gets a bit dangerous trying to use them for the steel panels I'm making to fabricate all these new bits of rear end !!

I could do with a guillotine, trouble is I don't generally do sheet work so it would really be taking up valuable space ;)

Cheers guys,

Dave

#106 User is offline   dawesy 

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:40 AM

project seems to be going well :cool:
depending on what thickness your cutting i use an air nibbler, great as it leaves a neat finish and also does tight curves.
picked mine up off ebay for not a lot of £'s
my other toy has 470bhp

#107 User is offline   Dave2302 

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:11 AM

Hi Will,

Yeah it's going great. Be glad when the rear end is done, it sems this is the most cutting out and fabrication on the whole job, just slow and painstaking.

Basically, when its all done and seam sealered / stonechip painted I want it to be as strong / stronger than original and look like it was built that way, and not like someone has just "added bits on", to mount the subframe. I also wanted it sat as high up as it was in the Scorpio so the rear radius arms are swinging in the same plain as they were in the Scorpio to keep the pos to neg camber correct and so it doesn't sit below main floorpan level, that way the underside of the car remains smooth and flowing.
Ths is why I have taken the approach of re - shaping the first 10 - 12 inches of chassis at the front of the boot floor, nice flowing curves just creating the neccesary clearance for the outer ends of the subframe and radius arms.

The steel I am using is about 2mm thick, same as the stock chassis steel. I used to have an air nibbler, but it seized up so I binned it. It was never very successful on the thicker stuff tho. I know what you mean though, it was great on the thinner "body panel" thicknesses, perhaps I should get another, better quality one :) Then again, once this is done it will sit idle, cos like I said, I don't do a lot of sheet metal work as a rule !!

Also I'm trying to save up some dosh for the body kit (about a grand), and my bits of pocket money work are very quiet atm, don't get really busy for another few weeks yet until the tourism gets off the ground up here ;) I run a Disco/ Karaoke round the pubs and hotels and a Waterski School, during the summer months.

Chow fr now

Dave

#108 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:59 PM

dave your a proper jack of all trades!!!!! welding, gearboxes, dj'ing, waterskiing!! the list goes on!!:cool:
Posted Image

#109 User is offline   Dave2302 

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:28 PM

LOL Warren,

The Waterskiing and DJ'ing used to be hobbies, then when I came up here I found a good little market. Started off doing a Karaoke in our local pub one night for a laff, and they loved it so much I had other pubs and hotels ringing up asking how much and booking me !!

Similair with the Waterski School on the loch, now run it regular at a holiday chalet park just up the road, busy all summer long, do a Wed night Karaoke there too.

Not much to report today on the Puma, just more cutting out plates and welding, I reckon the back end welding and fabbing should be all finished and in primer by the end of this week.

Glad I started at the back cos this really is where most of the work is needed. Front subframe / rollbar mounts won't take as long, then onto the floorpan / tunnell, not to much fabrication, just careful cutting and a mile or so of welding :)

Cheers Dave

#110 User is offline   stetsoncutie 

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:16 PM

Brilliant post, I cant believe how fast you are making progress, Cant wait to see the finished product!

#111 User is offline   Dave2302 

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:04 AM

View Poststetsoncutie, on 10 May 2010 - 09:16 PM, said:

Brilliant post, I cant believe how fast you are making progress, Cant wait to see the finished product!

Me neither :)

Thanks for youre interest, keep lookin' lol

Cheers Dave

#112 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:17 PM

Fascinating for a none mechanic like me to read and follow :)

I used to love watersking, got an unused ski now in the loft.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#113 User is offline   Dave2302 

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:39 PM

View Posthappy-kat, on 11 May 2010 - 08:17 PM, said:

I used to love watersking, got an unused ski now in the loft.

HK,

Get it out of Mothballs and spend a few days in Scotland in the summer. Come skiing with us on Loch Oich (where I run the Ski School), or my "home" loch, Loch Duich !!

Same report as yesterday lol.....

Grinding, Cutting Plates, Welding, Subframe Up, Subframe Down, Grinding, Cutting Plates, Welding, Subframe Up, Subframe Down, Grinding, Cutting .........

Etc Etc Etc.

It's really taking shape now, lookin' good. Out shopping for consumables tommorrow morning, grinding wheels, jig saw blades etc, then more of same in the afternoon.

Should be some pics of the finished rear chassis mods by the end of the week lol !!

Cheers Dave

This post has been edited by Dave2302: 11 May 2010 - 09:43 PM

#114 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:23 PM

Proceeding at a rate of knots Dave!! Did you get my PM's??
Posted Image

#115 User is offline   Dave2302 

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:47 AM

View Postwarrenpenalver, on 11 May 2010 - 10:23 PM, said:

Proceeding at a rate of knots Dave!! Did you get my PM's??

Cheers Warren,

Yeah it's coming on,

No PM's received ???

Did you get mine ???

Paypal sent ages ago, money has gone outta bank.

Cheers Dave

#116 User is offline   Dave2302 

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:06 PM

Warren, sub loom received today many many thanks.

Disaster has struck lol,

Well the back end won't be done by the end of the week now lol, bloody Argoshield bottle ran out on welder today :( :( :(

I can't get another one until at earliest Friday. Damn Poo and Bum !!

Will have to just get all the rest of the pieces cut out and just put tiny tacks to hold 'em in place until I get me new bottle.

I've had this bottle ever since I moved up here 3 years ago, and didn't give it a thought how much aggro it would be to get a replacement living in the Highlands. I know I could get one if I drive to Inverness, but that's a 140 mile round trip so that's not gonna happen lol.

Cheers Dave

#117 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:31 PM

sorry I get slap.. going OT.

Ski rubber has probably perished now.
It is an Obrien 64" competition slalom ski which I doubt I have the agility to use, or strength, now lol

Looking forward to some more pics :)
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#118 User is offline   Pud237 

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

Wow- what a project, can't wait to see it finished!

#119 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:31 PM

PM's obviously not working :comp: I screwed up the email so you need to go into paypal and cancel the transaction then when the money comes back send it to turbo-toaster@hotmail.co.uk oops lol!!

Oh and ive probably flown past your house on a few occasions!!! I used to spend a bit of time working in and out of the station on RONA and a lot of time on subs in the area!!! :good:
Posted Image

#120 User is offline   Dave2302 

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:32 AM

View Postwarrenpenalver, on 12 May 2010 - 10:31 PM, said:

PM's obviously not working I screwed up the email so you need to go into paypal and cancel the transaction then when the money comes back send it to turbo-toaster@hotmail.co.uk oops lol!!

Oh and ive probably flown past your house on a few occasions!!! I used to spend a bit of time working in and out of the station on RONA and a lot of time on subs in the area!!!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the positve comments, I can't wait to get this wretched back end finished lol, it's so close now, but having run out of gas it's really set me back a few days, I just wanna get the back end sat on its wheels, and move up to the front and get that on wheels.

I hate grinding and welding, so the sooner the shell mods are done the better lol, covered in tiny little burns and bloody black grit off the grinders everywhere !!

Warren,

Got a mate called Barry "the bear" used to work the bases on subs !!

Re Paypal .....oh bum..... I've had that happen before, exactly the same thing, .co.uk and .com lololol. Fank gawd it ain't a lot of dosh, cos bloody Paypal put a hold on the money, so by the time it comes back it's about 10 - 14 days.... Last time it was 200 squids and a bank holiday in the middle :(

Wot I'll do is Paypal it again Fri night for you, that way it'll not go from my bank until about wed but you'll have it tommoz :)

Cheers Mate,

Oh btw, just picked up 4x4 Ally front X member, lower arms and ani rollbar for next stage of project, front end !!

I haven't bought hubs and carriers yet, cos looking at the Scorpio and Puma ones the Puma Hubs may well fit into the Scorpio Carriers, that way my monster 24V Cossie front discs and calipers can go on it. A quick visual says the bearings are very close on ID, so just a matter of seeing if the splne on a 4x4 shaft is the same as Puma ones, and being a Ford they might well be.

Am also hoping to use the Scorpio steering rack, mounts look very similair, but these racks are great, "speed sensitive", wired to VSS, via ECU the faster you go the less power assistance !!

Will get some pics up weekend, back finished or not lol,

Cheers Dave

Share this topic:

• 43 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic