Pumapeople: Puma Ib5 Gearbox - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Puma Ib5 Gearbox

#21 User is offline   Ian G 

• Group: Admin

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:17 PM

Old thread but not sure if either member will have it subscribed, I have a customer with the same problem with 2nd and 4th, wondering what the fix is.

#22 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:23 PM

seems an odd one... I would have thought linkage setup wrong straight away...

if it's not that, then it must be the selector H plate has moved inside the box...when you loosen it off there's a hell of a lot of movment in it up and down....

if that had happened tho it should be VERY clicky when moving the stick left to right...as it won't be lined up correctly..

: :good:good:
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#23 User is offline   nima 

• Group: Members

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:35 PM

Hi,

Ian thanks for asking on behalf of me. (I am Ian's client).

The stick is not clicky when moving it left to right, it has a normal feeling. 1st-3rd-5th go in and out perfectly. 4th and reverse go in less than ideal and out they need just a small tap. The worst is 2nd which needs plenty of force to go in and a punchier tap to get out. Once you are in 2nd though the car accelerates abd goes normally without any strange noises. Also when you get into 2nd you have to push it hard as I said but the gear feels like sitting in place securely without any grinding noises during the move (neutral to 2nd).

I have seen that the selector fork and synchro mechanism is the same for 1st and 2nd so I guess that if was anything wrong with them I would also have a problem with 1st?

P.s. the car is a 1.4 Puma which I have put a 1.7 engine and gearbox. Is there maybe a difference between the gear linkage between the 1.4 and 1.7?

This post has been edited by nima: 13 May 2015 - 10:06 PM

Fiesta 1,6 1996-2004
Puma 1,7 2004-......?

#24 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:37 PM

Have the gears always been like this or only since you put the 1.7 engine in?
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#25 User is offline   nima 

• Group: Members

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:36 PM

The problem appeared when I put the 1.7 engine and gearbox. (I changed the gearbox along with the 1.7). I want a way to make sure that the gearbox has not an internal problem.
Fiesta 1,6 1996-2004
Puma 1,7 2004-......?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic