Pumapeople: Throttle Pedal Sticking - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Throttle Pedal Sticking Any one else have this little problem Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   aintgottime 

• Group: Members

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:28 AM

Having owned my puma for a couple of weeks I've noticed sometimes that the accelerator pedal sometimes sticks (basically you have to give it quite a push for it to go down).

Any one else experience this or know of a fix?

#2 User is offline   spenspuma 

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:48 AM

It seams to be a relatively common problem on the Puma. That coupled with a sticking/creaking brake pedal.

I get a sticking accelerator pedal every now and then when the weather is damp AND i have a rather annoyingly creaky brake pedal !!...the brake pedal just seems to have got worse and is creaking all the time. If that doesnt improve with the summer warm weather then i'll take it in to Ford to see if they can fix it.

I have tried firing some lube into the joint of the pedal which seemed to help but only for a short time and the problem returned.
SPENCER
FORD PUMA THUNDER 2002 (SOLD)
HONDA CRZ 2013

#3 User is offline   Neil 

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:52 AM

I've had that problem after the car has been standing for a while, a firm shove with your right foot usually cures it. No problems with it at all with daily driving.
2006 - 2008 Ford Puma 1.7 Lux | 2008 - 2010 Ford Racing Puma #0013 | 2010 - 2012 Mini Cooper S | 2012 - ? RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup

#4 User is offline   Crystalpuma 

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:54 AM

Yep me too (grr)
"Margaret was right...piracy is our only option"
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Nancy & Vix

#5 User is offline   mikey2cv 

• View gallery

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:54 AM

My throttle gets sticky when cold; haven't been arsed to look at it yet, but probably just needs the throttle cable lubing.
Mike

My photos

Add Mikey2cv to your Flikr contacts and I will send you an invite to join the Pumapeople friends group.

#6 User is offline   PG12 

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:58 AM

Same here - sticks in the cold - good boot and it's free

Already had the throttle cable replaced - made no difference

Brought some 'grease' but looking under the drivers footwell - didn't really have a clue where to apply it...
RPJ DAMPENERS - POWERFLEX ALLROUND - JANSPEED SS SYSTEM - SOLD - probably in bits now...

#7 User is offline   aintgottime 

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:00 AM

Yeah I've had a go at greasing up but cant really seem to find where its sticking. I have it when I start the car from being settled for several hours but sometimes it happens when im trying to pull away at a junction!

#8 User is offline   cj_fab 

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:03 AM

i have a sticky throttle pedal aswell. i dont bother to take much notice with it tho i just give it a gd push with my foot b4 i set off and its fine for the rest of the drive. she only really does it from cold.

#9 User is offline   paulh205 

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:56 PM

Yes another one here - usually sticks when cold. Sprayed the throttle spring with WD40 but made no difference mad.gif
2001 Silver 1.6 'The colour's good enough for Steve McQueen'

#10 User is offline   bec 

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:55 PM

Yeah i got the same problem too! its annoying

#11 User is offline   Dr_B 

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:17 PM

i've never had that prob with my previous puma but the 106 i drive at the moment used to do it. turned out it was the car mat pushing under the pedals so maybe make sure that ain't happening

#12 User is offline   aintgottime 

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:48 AM

Off to Ford on Friday to have this problem looked into. Its become quite dangerous now as I was sat at the junction this morning and the pedal would just not go down! I had to really push it quite hard. I will let you all know my findings.

#13 User is offline   AGT 

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:14 AM

Hmmm, don't suffer from this.
However, there was a known serious fault on the Fiesta in that the pins that held the pedals in place could work loose, leaving the driver unable to de-cluch or accelerate.

The fault was a problem with the late MK5 Fiesta's (the last of the old shape) that were built in Halewood circa 2001.
Aledgedly, after finding out that they were not building the new Fiesta in Merseyside with Ford switching production to Germany, workers were very unhappy and got a bit sloppy putting the car together, 'cause their jobs were up the swanny!!

Might be a linked problem if Fiesta & Puma are sharing parts....I know Puma was made in Germany & to a higher quality of workmanship, but it's the same parts................

www.honestjohn.co.uk for more honest and unbiased opinions of good points & bad points

This post has been edited by AGT: 24 April 2007 - 11:44 AM

"Mr Paws" with 125BHP Claws!.
Driver with big grin!.
The Puma.......a future classic!

#14 User is offline   e3silversurfer 

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:35 AM

It only happens on a cold day. now that the sun is up and shining, everything is fine and no more sticky pedals. I am guesssing maybe the grease became hard and sticky when cold and when it is hot, it melts and become less sticky (just my guess). Anyway when it is sticky, I tap my feet on the pedal continuously (small light taps) to get it to not stick when i need to accelerate away from the lights or the roundabout.

Elvin

#15 User is offline   murrayxxx77 

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:58 PM

I had the same sticky throttle pedal i.e sticking when first pushed down and managed to completely cure it very simply.

There was a post a few years ago that mentioned the same cure.

Take off the large duct from air filter box to throttle body and look in the 'hole' next to engine which is the throttle body.

In the throttle body is a large butterfly valve. (If you get someone to press the accelerator you will see it move) Basically I jammed the throttle pedal down, and therefore also the valve open, by wedging a stick between pedal and seat.

In the throttle body around where the valve closes you may see some black deposits. The deposits only seem to be on the lower half of the body. These build up so the valve 'jams' in them when closed. I simply removed these deposits using petrol soaked rag (and some metal polish ... but not sure if you're meant to as body is coated) and pedal is now silky smooth.

#16 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:21 PM

Replace the throttle cable. It's normal wear and tear for a car- it won't last forever.

#17 User is offline   murrayxxx77 

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:18 PM

Throttle cable is perfect and I would have still had the sticking if I changed it.

Can't see your point.

#18 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (murrayxxx77 @ Jan 28 2008, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Throttle cable is perfect and I would have still had the sticking if I changed it.
Can't see your point.

My point is very few people are willing to change the throttle cable for some reason, even though this must get used thousands of times each year and it is a consumable part. They have even been known to snap ph34r.gif Mine needs replacing very shortly, at 8 years old, and I'm not surprised.

You could test your theory by pressing the lever by the throttle body, i.e. the other end of the throttle cable from the pedal. If you feel stickiness in the lever then your cleaning advice is the solution. If the lever feels smooth then the throttle cable itself will be the problem.

This post has been edited by BOK: 28 January 2008 - 08:41 PM

#19 User is offline   murrayxxx77 

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:36 PM

It wasn't just theory, it was practice. It was immediately obvious having taken of the air filter ducting ( a 30 second job) that the residue was causing the problem. The throttle cable is now completely smooth. There are many posts here where people have tried lubricating cables, pedals etc, even changing the cable, without solving the problem.
Consumables are all normal service items e.g. filters, oils etc including pads/shoes if required (refer to service book for full list). A throttle cable is not a consumable item and should easily outlast the life of a car. It is known as 'on-condition maintenance'. They will only snap if damaged or strained beyond the elastic limit of the wire which could be due to excessive bend radii caused by incorrect routing. Normally there is very little tension on the cable.
If you are changing yours after only 8 years then I presume it is either sticking or damaged as I can't think of any other reason to change it. Normal wear and tear should not include throttle cables. It's a very simple mechanical device.

This post has been edited by murrayxxx77: 31 January 2008 - 05:09 PM

#20 User is offline   k18dan 

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:02 PM

View Postmurrayxxx77, on 28 January 2008 - 05:58 PM, said:

I had the same sticky throttle pedal i.e sticking when first pushed down and managed to completely cure it very simply.

There was a post a few years ago that mentioned the same cure.

Take off the large duct from air filter box to throttle body and look in the 'hole' next to engine which is the throttle body.

In the throttle body is a large butterfly valve. (If you get someone to press the accelerator you will see it move) Basically I jammed the throttle pedal down, and therefore also the valve open, by wedging a stick between pedal and seat.

In the throttle body around where the valve closes you may see some black deposits. The deposits only seem to be on the lower half of the body. These build up so the valve 'jams' in them when closed. I simply removed these deposits using petrol soaked rag (and some metal polish ... but not sure if you're meant to as body is coated) and pedal is now silky smooth.

This worked a treat for me - Used a flat head screw driver to remove the lip.. then some carb cleaner and a rag to pick up all the bits - smooth as silk now..!

This post has been edited by k18dan: 08 June 2011 - 04:08 PM

FRP 225
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic