• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sony Network Walkman - Forget the iPOD

#1 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:44 AM

Just got new toy - Sony VGF-AP1 Network walkman

http://vaio.sony-europe.com/ShowProduct.do...product=VGF-AP1

Having looked at iPOD, and then several other, I found that the Sony gives far more functionality.

As well as being an excellent iPOD equivalent music wise, it will store data files, AND more importantly for me, connect direct to cybershot cameras and download images straight to HDD

On top of all that, it has both headphone, remote control and Line out jacks, enabling it to interface with several ICE units on the market :-)

Opted for 20Gb unit which is ample for what I need, although they do a 40Gb one which is 100 quid more.

Well worth looking at if you want something for use in car as well as on the move.

Battery life is 20 hours...

#2 Guest_mjh24_*

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:57 AM

I bought the latest sony network walkman I cant remember the model number I think it was ND-H1 cost £300 had 20Gb hard drive.

Had it for 2 hours packed it away and sent it back, I just found it too complicated to use, I have now got a creative zen jukebox xtra cost £150 all in all thats p&p etc, 30Gb hard drive and is so much easier to use.

Then again everyone to their own we all prefer different things and i am thick when it comes to technology so thats prob the reason why i never got on with the sony.

dont get an i pod thou heard some bad stuff bout them

#3 User is offline   deluded 

• Group: Members

Posted 03 December 2004 - 12:00 PM

Has the sony got mp3 on it yet??. I heard there was a big issue in that everything had to be converted to sony's own format, which took forever..
ex Silver 1.7 / ex FRP #416 / Astra SRi CDTI 150

#4 Guest_mjh24_*

Posted 03 December 2004 - 12:01 PM

the one i had you could convert to mp3 but was very long winded and the software was sh1te

#5 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 03 December 2004 - 12:05 PM

Has the sony got mp3 on it yet??. I heard there was a big issue in that everything had to be converted to sony's own format, which took forever..

Takes 5 mins to download entire cd to hard drive - connects to some website to get track info etc, and then 30 seconds to upload to walkman. Album takes on average 50Mb

Will play with settings tonight, but sound quality seems very good

#6 User is offline   deluded 

Posted 03 December 2004 - 12:20 PM

From what I read, the hardware is very good, it's the process of converting from mp3s was the issue (as mentioned above). I think Sony are supposed to be bringing firmware upgrades out so that the hardware will support mp3 diretly.

I guess if you're going from CD then it's not a problem.

#7 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 03 December 2004 - 12:24 PM

Ah true - soz, missunderstood you msg. Will try converting later.

#8 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 03 December 2004 - 12:27 PM

This from the support website

Dear VAIO Pocket customers,

An updated firmware for your portable music player VAIO Pocket (VGF-AP1 and VGF-AP1L) will be available middle of December 2004.

This new Firmware will include a total of 34 updates, from which some of the key updates are:
MP3 playback feature which will allow MP3 transfer and playback without transfer to ATRAC
Gapless playback
High speed scroll function
Possibility to change the screen template
Faster performance

Please visit our support website (www.vaio-link.com) for further details regarding the update mid December.

#9 User is offline   his_racing_puma 

Posted 03 December 2004 - 02:17 PM

mmmmmmmmm I have been tempted by one of these as it conects direct to my MEX-1HD head unit and does direct transfers beween the two units.

Must resists - even though I found a serious wad of cash today that I had forgot about :rock:
Rob
FRP #440
FRP #445 - ex wife took it :(
oh and a Smart Roadster Coupe Brabus
and a Smart Crossblade - that nuttty thing in the middle of the picture

#10 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 03 December 2004 - 02:20 PM

go for it, u know it makes sense ;-)

#11 User is offline   his_racing_puma 

Posted 03 December 2004 - 02:39 PM

nnnoooooooooo this lump of cash has the number of another FRP on it - unless I see sense and invest it properly.
Rob
FRP #440
FRP #445 - ex wife took it :(
oh and a Smart Roadster Coupe Brabus
and a Smart Crossblade - that nuttty thing in the middle of the picture

#12 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 03 December 2004 - 02:44 PM

didnt know u could buy an frp for 230 quid - i knew prices were plummetting but..... ;-)

#13 User is offline   daglesj 

Posted 03 December 2004 - 04:46 PM

cant see why you'd bother with mp3 when you have imho a better audio format in atrac.

I have to say the Sony is the one I'd buy purely for that reason. I've tried mp3 players but always went back to minidisc. This is just right for me.
]I'm quite the easy-going type, once you get to know me. Running with - Unichip/Kent Cams/K&N filter/Magnex Cat-Back/Magnecor leads/NGK plugs/Polybushes and Strutbrace. 156bhp last time I tried.

www.tdi-plc.com
www.universalracing.co.uk

#14 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 03 December 2004 - 04:49 PM

Its superb, have to say :-)

#15 User is offline   deluded 

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:32 PM

I can understand using artac, but if you have a few gigs of mp3s you want to use, it's not much fun (or good for quality) having to convert them all first.

Once the update is done, I think this will be a serious bit of desirable kit.. Gapless playing - wish my mp3 car stereo would do that ! sad.gif

#16 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:33 PM

I'll keep you posted on the update

#17 User is offline   Lantik 

Posted 05 December 2004 - 05:05 PM

cant see why you'd bother with mp3 when you have imho a better audio format in atrac.

I have to say the Sony is the one I'd buy purely for that reason. I've tried mp3 players but always went back to minidisc. This is just right for me.

I've had minidisc players for since 1996... but have to say MP3 wipes the floor with Sony's ATRAC MiniDisc compression... as long as you burn your MP3 at the decent Kb/s rate...

... and why forget the iPod...??? 9.gif Hooray for Apple cool2.gif it's about time all those expensive Sony centres had some competition... Apple opened it's first UK store in London last week...

10.gif
Stephen
DRIVE SAFE

#18 User is offline   daglesj 

Posted 05 December 2004 - 05:49 PM

I've had minidisc players for since 1996... but have to say MP3 wipes the floor with Sony's ATRAC MiniDisc compression... as long as you burn your MP3 at the decent Kb/s rate...

10.gif

On that we shall have to agree to differ ol' chap! smile.gif
]I'm quite the easy-going type, once you get to know me. Running with - Unichip/Kent Cams/K&N filter/Magnex Cat-Back/Magnecor leads/NGK plugs/Polybushes and Strutbrace. 156bhp last time I tried.

www.tdi-plc.com
www.universalracing.co.uk

#19 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 05 December 2004 - 06:55 PM

MP3 compression doesnt seem as good as atrac network player.

Complete album in around 50mb, without any of the loss of quality you get with mp3 compression.

Far more versatile than an iPOD too

;-)

#20 User is offline   Lantik 

Posted 05 December 2004 - 11:02 PM

MP3 compression doesnt seem as good as atrac network player.

Complete album in around 50mb, without any of the loss of quality you get with mp3 compression.

Far more versatile than an iPOD too

;-)

Too many night out clubbing through at uni has left me unable to appreciate the audible differences between MP3 and MiniDisc...

That's why I'm selling my entire minidisk collection on ebay at the moment...
http://my.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyeB...me=STRK:ME:LNLK

Versatility... I think an I-Pod is far more versatile myself... especially with the new I-Pod Photo just being launched and i-Tunes seems to be catching on with the general public... even my Dad downloads from I-Tunes laugh.gif

But of course if you're a purist then nothing but the best will do and ATRAC and MP3 is the devil smile.gif

I think that huge quantity (40gb) and decent quality (196kbps+) is plenty good enough for the gym, car, house, work, etc...
Stephen
DRIVE SAFE

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic