Pumapeople: Darining Fuel Tank - Advice Please. - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Darining Fuel Tank - Advice Please.

#1 User is offline   apj 

• Group: Members

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:07 AM

Hi, I need to drain most of the fuel from my fuel tank, is there an easy way to this ?

I thought perhaps disconnect the fuel filter and switch the ignition on, would this pump the fuel out of the tank do you think ?

Thanks all.

#2 User is offline   danellis 

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:06 PM

Before this thread gets too far on topic I'd suggest driving 300 miles lol

Sorry, I'll go sit in a corner and wait for someone more sensible :)
===
DJ

Showing his age be damned, Pumasparky's sig is *mint*

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#3 User is offline   apj 

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for the advice but i cannot drive the car and it has £50 of petrol in it !

BTW the title is supposed to read Draining not what I wrote, I blame it on the flu I am suffering from !

#4 User is offline   YOG 

Posted 01 October 2009 - 02:49 PM

You can get a jiggle tube from Halfords, providing it fits through the filler into the tank. Or, if you like the taste of petrol, get some tubing and syphon it!

http://www.halfords....tegoryId_165469
Rick

The Haynes Fiesta Manual (3397) can answer a lot of your questions.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Neil 

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:06 PM

Leave the car running for a day or so?

Sorry, that's not very helpful either.
2006 - 2008 Ford Puma 1.7 Lux | 2008 - 2010 Ford Racing Puma #0013 | 2010 - 2012 Mini Cooper S | 2012 - ? RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup

#6 User is offline   dave208 

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:17 PM

Get sucking on a bit of old (Clean) hose and fill some jerry cans !!

#7 User is offline   pam116 

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:37 PM

View Postapj, on 01 October 2009 - 11:07 AM, said:

Hi, I need to drain most of the fuel from my fuel tank, is there an easy way to this ?

I thought perhaps disconnect the fuel filter and switch the ignition on, would this pump the fuel out of the tank do you think ?

Thanks all.

why do you need to drain it, you selling it or something?

#8 User is offline   apj 

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:02 PM

I had assumed the P8uma had an anti syphon tank, perhaps not ?

I am trying to empty the tank, as this is the car I bought from a garage in August which turned out to be an insurance write off, I am trying to get the car retrieved from my drive and have been for 2 months now and to get my money back (£1200 !). Not being very suceesful to date - garage is not playing ball (promising but never turning up) and I am seeking justice through the small claims court.

As I wont get the full tank of petrol back I thought s*d it I will drain it, hence this post.

#9 User is offline   pam116 

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:08 PM

View Postapj, on 01 October 2009 - 05:02 PM, said:

I had assumed the P8uma had an anti syphon tank, perhaps not ?

I am trying to empty the tank, as this is the car I bought from a garage in August which turned out to be an insurance write off, I am trying to get the car retrieved from my drive and have been for 2 months now and to get my money back (£1200 !). Not being very suceesful to date - garage is not playing ball (promising but never turning up) and I am seeking justice through the small claims court.

As I wont get the full tank of petrol back I thought s*d it I will drain it, hence this post.

oh dear, am sorry, dont give up, good luck..

#10 User is offline   apj 

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:11 PM

Thanks Pam

#11 User is offline   pumapilot 

• View gallery

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:45 PM

Removing the fuel filter/turning ignition on wont work, but what will is to find the fuel feed/pipe to the engine, not sure where - just follow pipe through - then disconnect pipe, then turn ignition on, should empty tank for you, without any hard work required.
Posted Image
Signature block created by Colin Y (BOK) & here as my tribute to him
Print your own Pumapeople fliers by clicking here
PUMA GARAGE LIST LINK
Tremona Garage

#12 User is offline   poder 

Posted 02 October 2009 - 05:20 AM

View Postpumapilot, on 01 October 2009 - 08:45 PM, said:

Removing the fuel filter/turning ignition on wont work, but what will is to find the fuel feed/pipe to the engine, not sure where - just follow pipe through - then disconnect pipe, then turn ignition on, should empty tank for you, without any hard work required.

Why won't this work?
Leading into the fuel filter IS the fuel feed pipe...

#13 User is offline   pumapilot 

• View gallery

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:51 AM

I am not sure where the fuel pump is in relation to the fuel filter, and i'd rather stand over the engine, than lie under the car!!
Posted Image
Signature block created by Colin Y (BOK) & here as my tribute to him
Print your own Pumapeople fliers by clicking here
PUMA GARAGE LIST LINK
Tremona Garage

#14 User is offline   blacksofstichill 

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:19 AM

You could remove the fuel return pipe from the end of the fuel rail, connect a length of pipe in it's place and run it into a can or two, all you need to do is start the car up and let it run until it's pumped out as much as you want or it runs out. We do this all the time here to drain the fuel from a car before we scrap it, it's easy enough to do and you'll soon fill the cans up! Hope this is helpful.

#15 User is offline   poder 

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:30 AM

View Postpumapilot, on 02 October 2009 - 09:51 AM, said:

I am not sure where the fuel pump is in relation to the fuel filter, and i'd rather stand over the engine, than lie under the car!!

The fuel pump is in the tank...

#16 User is offline   blacksofstichill 

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:08 AM

I'm not sure if just turning on the ignition will pump all of the fuel out, does it not just run for a short time to prime the fuel until the engine is cranked over? I think the engine has to be at least cranking for the pump to run constantly but I could be wrong........I'd still go for running the fuel return into a tin, it's easy enough to do and is safe enough I would say.

#17 User is offline   poder 

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:43 AM

View Postblacksofstichill, on 02 October 2009 - 11:08 AM, said:

I'm not sure if just turning on the ignition will pump all of the fuel out, does it not just run for a short time to prime the fuel until the engine is cranked over? I think the engine has to be at least cranking for the pump to run constantly but I could be wrong........I'd still go for running the fuel return into a tin, it's easy enough to do and is safe enough I would say.

I'm not sure either, as normally the pump will just run for a few seconds to build up pressure. If either of the fuel lines (supply/return) is disconnected, it won't be able to build pressure, so maybe it will keep going..?
If not, (and you don't want the engine running) you can just short circuit the fuel pump relay.

The pump delivers fuel at a rate of 80 liters per hour (according to Ford TIS), so it might take a little while to empty the tank.

#18 User is offline   apj 

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:31 PM

Thanks everyone, an interesting one ?

Is there anyway to drain the tank without turning the engine over, I ask because the car will not start (probably a relay in the fuse box and the battery is dead). As you can see the car is falling apart hence me wanting to get rid !

#19 User is offline   blacksofstichill 

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:44 AM

If the battery is dead, why not just connect a set of jump leads from another car (which should obviously be left running) and use that to get the ignition on the puma, disconnect the return feed pipe and connect a length of hose as described above and see if it pumps the fuel out.......I'm still not sure if it will continue to pump or not unless the engine is running but as poder said it may still run if the pressure is not held in the fuel rail. If it doesn't pump or the pump won't run due to whatever is going on in the fusebox then you are back to trying to syphon the fuel from the tank. If the car was just going to be scrapped I would knock a hole in the bottom of the tank but I think the garage it's going back to will take offence to that happening!

#20 User is offline   apj 

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:50 AM

Thanks Blacks.... I would love to punch a hole in something or someone from that garage but I think that would be assault and it wouldn't help in getting the fuel out.

Thanks for your help.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic