Pumapeople: Touching Up My Arches - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Touching Up My Arches

#1 User is offline   Balders118 

• Group: Members

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:51 PM

So the inevitable has happened, and I've had a few (small) rust bubbles appear on my rear arches. More so on the RHS. Two of these bubbles have caused the paint to flake off them. I'm off to halfords tomorrow to buy some new bulbs as my nearside dipped went yesterday (going for the extreme brilliance, do people rate these?) so I thought if I could get a touch up pen while I was there. Is it possible to use touch up paint to dab over these rusty spots so its not so obvious. Is this a bad idea and will I make it look worse? In the long term I plan on a proper fix, but don't have the sheets to do it now.

Is touch up paint generally an easy, hassle free thing to do? Also if anyone knows the exact colour to get to save me looking through the booklets tomorrow, i'd appreciate it!

Cheers all. Hope everyone is having a good 2011!

#2 User is offline   wrayvon 

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

If its a moondust silver one, don't bother. Its not the right colour (at least it wasn't for me).

Not sure on the other colours as I haven't dealt with them!
Sam Wray
Web Developer
-----------------------
2000 Ford Puma 1.7 Lux

#3 User is offline   Balders118 

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

View Postwrayvon, on 14 January 2011 - 05:55 PM, said:

If its a moondust silver one, don't bother. Its not the right colour (at least it wasn't for me).

Not sure on the other colours as I haven't dealt with them!

:lol: Saying the colur of the car would have helped wouldn't it - it's black, S reg.

#4 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

Touch up paint is cheap from Ford and generally the best paint match :)
I like to use it 50/50 mix with lacquer in one go.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#5 User is offline   Balders118 

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:40 PM

View Posthappy-kat, on 14 January 2011 - 07:18 PM, said:

Touch up paint is cheap from Ford and generally the best paint match :)
I like to use it 50/50 mix with lacquer in one go.

So it will work to cover up rust?

TBH ford is fair drive from my house, halford is 30 seconds away and the largest of the two spots is smaller than a penny so as long as the colout is close i'm happy. Especially bearing in mind I plan to sort it out properly maybe this summer.

#6 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:26 PM

Either paint will cover rust... but neither for very long.
Rear arch rust if it is the suspected rear arch rust will be through the metal. Hence the Pug 106 replacement panel job that people have posted as a full repair.
In the short term think you may need to use a product first that makes the rust hard/sound, then paint over the top while you think about the long term fix.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#7 User is offline   Balders118 

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:31 PM

View Posthappy-kat, on 14 January 2011 - 08:26 PM, said:

Either paint will cover rust... but neither for very long.
Rear arch rust if it is the suspected rear arch rust will be through the metal. Hence the Pug 106 replacement panel job that people have posted as a full repair.
In the short term think you may need to use a product first that makes the rust hard/sound, then paint over the top while you think about the long term fix.

I wasn't aware products existed. Do you know of any brands? Isn't it a 206?

#8 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:37 PM

You are going to Halfords :)

Possibly 206 then.
Not got the thread to hand.

#9 User is offline   Balders118 

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:02 PM

View Posthappy-kat, on 14 January 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

You are going to Halfords :)

You've got a point, but last time I asked a halford employee about oils she wasn't aware there was any difference between different grades. However I did work at halfords as a teenager, but in the bike part. I'll have a hunt around tommorrow. The metal doesn't look too bad, not craked or anything just discoloured. Probabaly best to firm it up anyway though.

I wash the car probabaly fortnightly at the moment, but it's getting a bit of a home mini valet tomorrow. Quite looking forward to it to be honest - got a hand vac for christmas and looking forward to trying it out!

Thanks for the advice!

Chris

#10 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:17 PM

Halfords have a rust section in the car area. Probably stick with something small/cheap such as Kurust by Waxoyl, it is a small bottle with a brush in the lid.
I used a pruduct called Hydrate80 by Bilt & Hamber, but that will be expensive in comparrisson so keep your pennies for the proper repair perhaps.
The difficultly will be do you just want to make it pretty or do you risk unearthing the real rust extent before you are ready to do the job fully. If you brush the rust off too hard you may make a hole in the arch.

#11 User is offline   Balders118 

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:10 PM

View Posthappy-kat, on 14 January 2011 - 09:17 PM, said:

Halfords have a rust section in the car area. Probably stick with something small/cheap such as Kurust by Waxoyl, it is a small bottle with a brush in the lid.
I used a pruduct called Hydrate80 by Bilt & Hamber, but that will be expensive in comparrisson so keep your pennies for the proper repair perhaps.
The difficultly will be do you just want to make it pretty or do you risk unearthing the real rust extent before you are ready to do the job fully. If you brush the rust off too hard you may make a hole in the arch.

It's probably going to be a making it look pretty job for now. I'll have a look at the waxoyl and see if it will be usable. I don't want to end up taking a load more paint off and making things worse! The rust, on first glance, doesn't look bad enough to be able to put a hole in it, but it's a crafty character so could be the tip of an iceburg (as I expect you already know!) I definatly don't want to uncover some real issues tomorrow so i'll tread carefully. At the moment it doesn't look too bad, just one patch the size of a penny, the other about 1/6 of a penny.

#12 User is offline   grayfox 

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:37 AM

Here's my thread on touch-up paint from paints4u (highly recommend them) this was on moondust silver so you can see just how good of a match it is as silver's generally a pig to get right.

#13 User is offline   dazzer123 

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:18 AM

Use kurust to paint it first! this should stop the rust spreading for a while! Dont just cover it up with normal paint because it will come through, and i talk from experience it will look worse! And halfords paint looks better than orange rust ;)

#14 User is offline   Balders118 

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:29 PM

Hmm. Well after having a closer look today after i've given the puma a good wash, the rust on the offside arch seems to be worse than I originally thought. Still only come through on those two places, byt the paint in a few other spots is going a kind of oliy orange where it looks like rust is imminently going to break through.

The car needs a service in 3000 miles (around 2 months for me at the moment) so I might get puma speed to see what they can do while i'm there.

#15 User is offline   Tom B 

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

Im getting the arches cut out and new metal put in in a few weeks, Costing me £200 a side, i'll get some pictures of it all. May be worth having a look at if your looking at a permanent fix.
'01 Silver 1.7 Posted Image

#16 User is offline   Balders118 

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:18 PM

View PostTom B, on 16 January 2011 - 05:20 PM, said:

Im getting the arches cut out and new metal put in in a few weeks, Costing me £200 a side, i'll get some pictures of it all. May be worth having a look at if your looking at a permanent fix.

Thats not a bad price, I was expecting that work to be more. This is what i'll be doing in the long run. Few questions..

1. Is that £200 all in? Parts, paint, labour etc?
2. where are you getting it done?
3. Did you source new arches/206 arches or have you simply gone to a garage and said "can you pease fix my arches" and they've said "yes, £200 quid please"?

#17 User is offline   Tom B 

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:49 PM

I went to the garage for an estimate, but he had never done a puma before. I mentioned about the 206 wings, and he said if I get the wings, he will fit them for me. £60 for two new 206 wings. He then said that a normal job like replacing the metal cost around £200 for a fiesta, so he will charge that for me. I did get quotes of £600 though, so depends where you go.
'01 Silver 1.7 Posted Image

#18 User is offline   cubapuma 

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:22 PM

Make sure they look at the inner skin when they cut off the outer arch.

When mine were done the edge of the inner skin was really rusty and so I got the garage to skim off the rust and treat it with anti rust gel then Bilt Hamber rustproofing spray before they welded the new outer strip (from the Peugeot wings) on. Will cost a bit more but it will stay rust free for longer.
The first time I saw you I knew it was Love.
You're the one that I want,
Yes you are!.....Cuba!
The Gibson Bros

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic