Pumapeople: anti lag??????? - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

anti lag???????

#1 Guest_Cooler King_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 11 February 2005 - 03:40 PM

it is going on a road car, even though it is illegal, but the car will see the track regularly, it cant be on all the time though?

#2 User is offline   Pumawales 

• Group: Members

Posted 11 February 2005 - 04:17 PM

My mate has it on his Impreza - rally car though wink.gif

Its great fun but VERY LOUD!!!
I remember my Ford Puma 1.7 - Looked after by PUMABUILD with happiness :)

#3 Guest_Cooler King_*

Posted 11 February 2005 - 04:17 PM

he he he!!!!!!!

tony has it on the cosy, its deffinately a crowd puller!!!!!

#4 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 February 2005 - 04:23 PM

I dont think antilag is illegal ...

I suggest your mate takes the car back to the people who did his ecu and get them to quote for putting on anti-lag...
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope - 1709)
Stop being spoon fed and GOOGLE it!

#5 Guest_Cooler King_*

Posted 11 February 2005 - 04:25 PM

im underthe impression that it ius illegal to use on the public highways, probably to do with noise????

#6 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:27 AM

Its to do with the fact that cant run anti lag without removing the cat. Leave the cat in, and it will shatter.

HTH

#7 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:46 AM

Its to do with the fact that cant run anti lag without removing the cat. Leave the cat in, and it will shatter.

HTH
depends on what type of cat you have... ceramic will shatter, metallic wont.

#8 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:48 AM

Think you will find the rozzers aint best pleased with flamer kits, so a bloody great big ball of flame coming out of an anti lagged turbo will be like a red rag to a bull ;-)

#9 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:50 AM

im underthe impression that it ius illegal to use on the public highways, probably to do with noise????

what is the legal noise limit for use on the public highway ?

whats the difference between "pops" produced by

a) anti-lag
cool.gif proper traction control system
c) lift off overrun (FRP etc)
d) rpm ignition cut

they all pop - though by how much is dependant on how the electronics have been programmed in ALL cases...

#10 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:59 AM

Think you will find the rozzers aint best pleased with flamer kits, so a bloody great big ball of flame coming out of an anti lagged turbo will be like a red rag to a bull ;-)

anti-lag doesn't have to produce flames out the back... depends how much anti-lag you are running. FQPuma runs just enough to make positive boost on gear changes, even that DOES make a huge difference. The ALS control strategy currently activates when ALS switch is activated and more than 75% throttle has been applied for 2 seconds - on lift off ALS keeps boost for up to 6 seconds by using air injection, remapped fuel and ignition curves or until boost is raised above ALS threshold. Naturally all this is re-programmable... (Its also, more correctly, called Over Run Boost control...)

Oh and no flames out the back... thats for ORB systems which run higher levels of boost (eg 1 bar+) though these have a tendency to destroy turbo's mainly due to elevated turbo temps) hence why you only see these systems on competition engines.

#11 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:06 AM

Begs the question then...

If running a low pressure system, why bother with anti lag?

Better option surely would be to go for one of the new generation turbos, or a decent hybrid whith ultra fast spin up times.

Less to go wrong, and more efficient use of waste gases.

#12 User is offline   Spoke 

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:07 AM

Not sure about track use, many tracks have 105db limit, you may well go above this with ALS.
On one of our ex-rally cars we ran a Motec management system that included ALS, launch control etc. The stand alone system was about Å“1500 then many hours spent getting the maps right. Turby is right, they are heavy on turbo's, so expect a more frequent overhaul schedule.

I'd aim to get a good system from Motec, or if you have the funds try Pectel. Both systems can be tailored to Ford, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Nissan etc. I'd only do this if you have a full competion engine. I'm not sure a standard road engine would last all that long, not sure of a benefit for a road car either.
BTW, you are not supposed to use ALS on the road, generally in a rally you get told to turn it off before you enter a time control, let alone go on the public highway.
Christophe-lamb-chop
'Racing is living, everything else before and after is just waiting' - Steve McQueen

#13 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:54 AM

Begs the question then...

If running a low pressure system, why bother with anti lag?

Better option surely would be to go for one of the new generation turbos, or a decent hybrid whith ultra fast spin up times.  

Less to go wrong, and more efficient use of waste gases.

Any system which produces boost will loose all boost and go into vacuum when the throttle is lifted - From what I have seen around -10 psi is normal. Doesnt matter how fast you change gear - you will still loose all boost. remember that the boost is only produced when the throttle is open... no throttle = no boost. Therefore any boost is better than none - even on a low pressure system... New generation turbos decrease spool up time - but they still go into vacuum on overrun. Running a proper anti-lag system (when activated) means the turbo is always producing some boost.

I have various data logging showing boost every 1/100 second... a normal fast gear change without anti-lag takes .3 second but no boost (above atmosphere) is present for around .8 seconds - with the system activated and using the latest generation roller bearing turbo positive boost is generated all the time. This translates to power being available to accelerate the car going from 0.8 seconds to 0.3 seconds... ie around 0.5 second per gear change - factor in that full boost comes on a little later (assuming a low ALS boost pressure - less for a high boost ALS setup) and you still are saving significant amounts of time per gear change.

Drivability is also increased due to the reduction in power on - power off - power on characteristics of a turbocharged engine. It works - Thats why competition cars use it.

#14 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:59 AM

Although I agree with the above, the point i'd make is unless you are up there with the top 10% of competition drivers, then all the bells and whistles aint going to make they car / driver package go any quicker.

:-)

Tiggr on average from the SPA tell tale would peak (or should that be trough) at -11 psi on overrun

#15 User is offline   Spoke 

Posted 14 February 2005 - 11:07 AM

Racing/Rallying...
90% driver 10% car......
Christophe-lamb-chop
'Racing is living, everything else before and after is just waiting' - Steve McQueen

#16 User is offline   lisafrp 

Posted 14 February 2005 - 01:16 PM

Although I agree with the above, the point i'd make is unless you are up there with the top 10% of competition drivers, then all the bells and whistles aint going to make they car / driver package go any quicker.

Turby won all his sprints last year apart from the one at combe at the end of last year when we were lumped in with the 4x4's and it was oops with rain, and that was without using aniti lag. I think he's going for better times this year, hence the anti lag/quicker car!! :wink:
Lisa
Racing Puma Owners Club
www.rpoc.co.uk

#17 User is offline   lisafrp 

Posted 14 February 2005 - 01:18 PM

Racing/Rallying...
90% driver 10% car......

Thats why I can never beat Turby even when in the same car, I keep my brain intact when sprinting, whereas I think he leaves his in bed at home !! :shock:
Lisa
Racing Puma Owners Club
www.rpoc.co.uk

#18 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery

Posted 14 February 2005 - 01:20 PM

Racing/Rallying...
90% driver 10% car......

I would say that was a fair comment - though the % would be closer. The same car driven by a quicker driver, by definition, will be quicker. However in compeittion no 2 cars are rarely the same and you need all the advantages you can get - be it proper traction control, active diffs, sequential gear box, anti-lag, new tyres, adjustable suspension etc etc. Each will give a small improvement in performance. For sake of example say you have 2 cars one fitted with the above and one without. If each feature gave on average 0.5 second per mile (unrealistic I migt add, some could give much more) then together that adds up to 3 seconds per mile. Over the course of a 20 mile race or 60 mile rally then that would be saving of 60 seconds or 180 seconds... 3 seconds per mile is a huge time in any form of competition.

Bear in mind that is with "identical" cars. For the everage club / national driver this sort of performance improvement simply cannot be ignored - if it is then you are unlikely to win as your competitors WILL make use of it. (assuming rules don't prohibit them)

#19 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery

Posted 14 February 2005 - 01:25 PM

How many people reading this have got competition experience in motorsport be it rallying / racing / sprinting / etc ?

#20 User is offline   lisafrp 

Posted 14 February 2005 - 01:27 PM

Me wink.gif
Lisa
Racing Puma Owners Club
www.rpoc.co.uk

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic