Posted 02 September 2003 - 05:20 PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...&category=32094

Any thoughts?

Seems to ogood to be true in my eyes

#2 User is offline   Project ST 

• Group: Members

Posted 02 September 2003 - 08:46 PM

Afaik...

Causes the car to run lean (by design). Putting a pin-prick-sized hole in one of the vacuum lines close to the inlet manifold would probably have a similar effect for ?44 quid less.

Imho, I honestly don't think these are worth the effort when a good service and tune can benefit the car much more.

Al

#3 User is offline   lisafrp 

Posted 02 September 2003 - 08:54 PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...&category=32094

Any thoughts?

Seems to ogood to be true in my eyes

Theres a cheaper one than that here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=2430065920

Blue too wink.gif You don't need the big filter that goes with it, waste of time. Buy it and try it, if you don't like it resell it, this one is quite cheap smile.gif

You have less engine braking if adjusted properly, which is quite nice as you are not jolted forward when lifting off the pedal (slight exaggeration!), pedal is a bit more responsive.

HTH
Lisa
Racing Puma Owners Club
www.rpoc.co.uk

#4 User is offline   kahless 

Posted 02 September 2003 - 10:20 PM

Do you have one lisa?

Is it loud?

Does it work?

Cheers

Robert.

#5 User is offline   puma17 

Posted 03 September 2003 - 06:55 AM

I have one and so do 5 more of our members in Greece. It gives me GREAT mileage on the motorway (about 5.6 lt/100 km) and as Lisa so correctly states it lessens engine braking and makes the car rev quite a bit smoother.

In all DEFINITELY worth it. IMHO.
Nick

"It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile
Be yourself no matter what they say."

#6 User is offline   lisafrp 

Posted 03 September 2003 - 07:54 AM

Do you have one lisa?

Is it loud?

Does it work?

Cheers

Robert.

Yes I have one,

No its not very loud

If I am doing motorway mileage I get good mpg, driving around town its much smoother (this was before the Bluefin in case you are wondering), worth it at the price its at. You can adjust it to get really loud pops and bangs if you have a FRP too (might also work if you have a replacement exhaust that pops/burbles on overun smile.gif).

HTH
Lisa
Racing Puma Owners Club
www.rpoc.co.uk

#7 User is offline   Rodman 

Posted 03 September 2003 - 08:51 AM

Sorry to be a pain but exactly what do you mean when you say "if you adjust it" ja_stupid.gif What is it you adjust ?

If you fitted it then found it was causing problems does it leave a hole in the lines or not ?? How is it fitted exactly ??
Excuse my lack of knowledge on this one. ja_stupid.gif ja_stupid.gif
Used to have 1.7 puma, now have...
---------------------------
SEAT Ibiza TDI Sport PD130,
AMD Technik Remap to 190bhp, 310lb/ft !!!
Awaiting release of reflex..

#8 User is offline   lisafrp 

Posted 03 September 2003 - 08:55 AM

Sorry to be a pain but exactly what do you mean when you say "if you adjust it"  :derr:  What is it you adjust ?

If you fitted it then found it was causing problems does it leave a hole in the lines or not ?? How is it fitted exactly ??
Excuse my lack of knowledge on this one.  :derr:  :derr:

You adjust the Ecotek so that it sucks in air on light throttle, if you adjust it a tiny bit more it lets in more air, less it lets in less air. Yes it will leave a hole in your lines, but you can put a piece of tubing on to join both ends up with jubilee clips.

You fit it by cutting into the relevant pipe and joining it by using a bit of tubing and jubilee clips!!

HTH
Lisa
Racing Puma Owners Club
www.rpoc.co.uk

#9 User is offline   Rodman 

Posted 03 September 2003 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for that.

Have you ever experianced problems with yours or wished you had never fitted it.

Did you need to tell your insurance about this one ?

#10 User is offline   lisafrp 

Posted 03 September 2003 - 09:52 AM

Thanks for that.

Have you ever experianced problems with yours or wished you had never fitted it.

Did you need to tell your insurance about this one ?

Nope and nope smile.gif

HTH
Lisa
Racing Puma Owners Club
www.rpoc.co.uk

#11 User is offline   Matt 

Posted 03 September 2003 - 11:04 AM

A quote from n galbraith, Surrey, United Kingdom, nick.galbraith@mclaren.co.uk on the lotus version of PP.

just read the ecotek speil on thier device....this is the biggest load of BS i have ever seen. The F1 stuff they are talking about is pure fiction. sure swirl technology is being used but its also being used in most modern engines. they say you can put this into the manifold at a convenient location....well it just aint that simple, if you wish to introduce swirl into the manifold flow you would have to do it a prescribed location and inject at a prescribed rate, to have any effect. generally at some point in the twists and turns on a modern inlet manifold the flow will become separated from the walls, introducing swirl could possably cause re-attachment of the flow to the wall and improve the duct efficiency of the manifold. however this is very specific and generally if you try this you only improve over a very specific operating point and lose every where else....this device is pure fiction, sure it may work in some applications but they have either been lucky with the placement of the device or in the inlet manifold design is soo bad anything would help.....spose i better qualify my comments by saying i am an aerodynamisist currently working on the airbox design for the mp4/18
Matt.
Ex-modded puma
Now Mini JCW

#12 User is offline   Rodman 

Posted 03 September 2003 - 11:35 AM

Why is this never striaght forward.

Anybody else GOT ONE that they can comment on ?

#13 User is offline   m8tte 

Posted 03 September 2003 - 11:41 AM

My opinion

Most of these ebay type things - surely if they were any good they would be fitted on all cars as standard at the factory :?:

like the infamous 10 p resistor

Millions spent on development work - surely they are not going to be wasted due to missing off a '50 p to make' item thats going to make 'all the difference'

Does it make any difference or is it - i spent money on this so it does work!

:?: :?:

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Puma 1.7

#14 User is offline   lisafrp 

Posted 03 September 2003 - 11:43 AM

It is straight forward, if you want it buy it, if you don't - don't! People only make it difficult for themselves by asking eveyone elses opinion. I think with all my mods I have just got on and done them, 99.9% of the time I have been happy, and I only have myself to blame if I'm not!!
Lisa
Racing Puma Owners Club
www.rpoc.co.uk

#15 User is offline   lisafrp 

Posted 03 September 2003 - 11:49 AM

I think I paid about ?40 for mine, can't remember now, but its worth the money to me due to the loudness of pops and bangs I get from the exhaust :twisted: I know this is to do with the Ecotek as if I shut it off then the pops are much quieter :evil:
Lisa
Racing Puma Owners Club
www.rpoc.co.uk

#16 User is offline   Rodman 

Posted 03 September 2003 - 11:51 AM

It is straight forward, if you want it buy it, if you don't - don't! People only make it difficult for themselves by asking eveyone elses opinion. I think with all my mods I have just got on and done them, 99.9% of the time I have been happy, and I only have myself to blame if I'm not!!

:cry: :cry: Woooo not in a good mood today are we.

I wouldn't say I was making it difficult for myself, just finding out whether or not it's worth spending ?40-?60 on something which is as stated above on a number of occasions, the biggest load of BS ever.

You might like to "just get on and do it" but I'd rather actually reserch a little and find out what people think and there experiances of this product are. That's the reason I ask. biggrin.gif

#17 User is offline   m8tte 

Posted 03 September 2003 - 11:54 AM

I think I paid about ?40 for mine, can't remember now, but its worth the money to me due to the loudness of pops and bangs I get from the exhaust :twisted: I know this is to do with the Ecotek as if I shut it off then the pops are much quieter :evil:

Excellent worth it for this alone then!!

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Puma 1.7

#18 User is online   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 03 September 2003 - 12:10 PM

I wouldn't say I was making it difficult for myself, just finding out whether or not it's worth spending ?40-?60 on something which is as stated above on a number of occasions, the biggest load of BS ever.

wrong item Rod, it is a the crappy thing that claims loads of BHP for a fiver that is a pile of BS.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#19 User is offline   lisafrp 

Posted 03 September 2003 - 12:26 PM

:cry:  :cry:  Woooo not in a good mood today are we.

You might like to "just get on and do it" but I'd rather actually reserch a little and find out what people think and there experiances of this product are. That's the reason I ask.  :D

I'm in an OK mood thanks! smile.gif

You said it wasn't straightforward because 2 people said it was good, 3 people said it was BS, but out of these 5 people how many have got them fitted to their kats?? Were these the people that said they were good or bad??

Why not go for the cheaper one on ebay (link in one of my previous posts) if you think its poo then you have only wasted ?20ish pounds rather than ?40-60! If you don't like it bung it back on ebay and get most of (if not all or more) your money back.

I do my own reasearch by buying a product, if I've heard its good from somewhere then I give it a try. Everyone is different, every car is different, one person might think the product is good whilst the other might think its bad.

Its like the Bluefin I bought, I had no idea how it was going to perform, but I was pleasantly surprised with how much difference it made. I'm not just saying this because I spent ?299, as I could have sent it back within 7days if not satisfied.

Its your money at the end of the day, spend it on what you want, not what everyone else thinks you should have! biggrin.gif
Lisa
Racing Puma Owners Club
www.rpoc.co.uk

#20 User is offline   RobK 

Posted 03 September 2003 - 12:30 PM

Have heard about the valve before, but dismissed it as a gimick. To be honest Lisa's post has been the first positive reaction I've heard outside of someone trying to sell one.
RobK - Dublin
1998 Red 1.7 Vct
Dirty Picture

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked