• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Puma Over Heating

#1 User is offline   thesexynortherner 

• Group: Members

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:24 PM

Hi everyone..

I have had some issues with my '99 Puma overheating. It's not leaking any water from the radiator. I had an AA man look at it and using a temperature gauge was able to determine that water was getting through to the pipes coming from the water pump, the water pump is onlly around 10 months old.. Anyway got a mechanic to look at it and he reckons the water pump is fine and aid it was the thermostat, so he changed it but it continued doing it, he then believed it to be just a loose wire.. As it's still doing it I don't have that much faith in the guy and don't want to give him anymore money.. Does anyone know what it could be?

Cheers,
Craig.

#2 User is offline   pumanurse 

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:39 PM

Can't help with the problem but I can recommend a good garage !

Carters of Chapeltown have always been very fair with us.

Where abouts in S6 are you? We are in S35!
No Comment

#3 User is offline   ARTY 

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (thesexynortherner @ Jul 12 2009, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi everyone..

I have had some issues with my '99 Puma overheating. It's not leaking any water from the radiator. I had an AA man look at it and using a temperature gauge was able to determine that water was getting through to the pipes coming from the water pump, the water pump is onlly around 10 months old.. Anyway got a mechanic to look at it and he reckons the water pump is fine and aid it was the thermostat, so he changed it but it continued doing it, he then believed it to be just a loose wire.. As it's still doing it I don't have that much faith in the guy and don't want to give him anymore money.. Does anyone know what it could be?

Cheers,
Craig.

mellow.gif Could be temp sender ive heard these can go faulty and give a false reading , only if you are not loosing water then it is something else.

#4 User is offline   thesexynortherner 

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (pumanurse @ Jul 12 2009, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't help with the problem but I can recommend a good garage !

Carters of Chapeltown have always been very fair with us.

Where abouts in S6 are you? We are in S35!

Hi, thanks for the recommendation.. Used to live opposite the Wednesday training ground.. Moved to S25 now though.. but forgot to update the profile.

Not sure if this will help with the diagnosis but when it starts overheating I have to drive fast to cool it down.. which isn't ideal obviously.. and seems worse when travelling up hill! mellow.gif

This post has been edited by thesexynortherner: 12 July 2009 - 03:48 PM

#5 User is offline   Miffi 

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:16 PM

Does the overheating happen all the time or intermittently. Have you noticed anything else happening at the same time - warning lights coming on when it's hot, or needles spiking?

#6 User is offline   PatchPuma 

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:21 AM

When your driving your puma, is your heater on cold? If it is try putting the heater on hot and see if the temp. gauge goes to normal, if so then your HCV as gone.

If not have a look at this page http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?...ticle&id=99
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   thesexynortherner 

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (PatchPuma @ Jul 13 2009, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When your driving your puma, is your heater on cold? If it is try putting the heater on hot and see if the temp. gauge goes to normal, if so then your HCV as gone.

If not have a look at this page http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?...ticle&id=99

Hi.. I checked that thread but I read it to be only that if the air con wasn't working and only warm air was coming through the vents.. My air con is working just fine and I can get cold air from the vents.

Cheers,
Craig.

QUOTE (Miffi @ Jul 12 2009, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does the overheating happen all the time or intermittently. Have you noticed anything else happening at the same time - warning lights coming on when it's hot, or needles spiking?

Hi.. Yeah I think it has staretd to get worse.. It is happening all time now. I get no warning lights, the temperature needle goes in to the red pretty quickly if I'm driving below 70 mph. The fan is kicking in but doesn't cool down the temperature fast enough.. I have got the blowers set on full warm which does help but it soon starts to boil over.

Cheers,
Craig.

#8 User is offline   PatchPuma 

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:11 AM

I still got cold air from me vents and air con still worked but my engine was still over heating
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   thesexynortherner 

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE (PatchPuma @ Jul 13 2009, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still got cold air from me vents and air con still worked but my engine was still over heating

Ahh.. I must have misread the posts.. Brilliant.

I'll have a read up to see how easy it is to change one.. Thanks for the help.

#10 User is offline   PatchPuma 

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:30 AM

http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?...ticle&id=15

Read that one
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   jimmyboy 

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (thesexynortherner @ Jul 12 2009, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi everyone..

Cheers,
Craig.

try letting the car warm up till the fan cuts in . . . . then one hand on the top radiator hose and one on the bottom hose . . . . if the top one is hot and the bottom is cold then the thermostat is suspect as it isn;t opening to let the water through the radiator to cool . . . .fan should cut in as temp needle gets to about the letter A in the word NORMAL cool.gif trust me i am a car doctor ja_cool.gif

#12 User is offline   thesexynortherner 

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:02 PM

Hi guys thanks for your help but.. had the HCV changed and the car is still over heating!

Summary so far:

- Condition of waterpump (10 months old) has been checked and is ok
- The Thermostat has been replaced
- The HCV has been replaced
- Water in radiator shows no traces of oil, suggesting head gasket is ok

- Fan is kicking in at the correct time and temporarily cools the engine as does driving fast

Next step:

- Feel for any cold spots on the radiator which would suggest a blockage
- Feel pipes to double check replacement thermostat is working correctly

Can anybody think of anything else that it could be.. spent around £170 so far and still got the same problem!

#13 User is offline   chestnutree 

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:47 PM

Sorry to not be of any help as to what it could be....you may be doing this already, but when it overheats stick your blowers on hot to help cool the engine and prevent any damage.

#14 User is offline   thesexynortherner 

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (chestnutree @ Jul 22 2009, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry to not be of any help as to what it could be....you may be doing this already, but when it overheats stick your blowers on hot to help cool the engine and prevent any damage.

Hi there.. Yeah this gives it a temporary fix but it soon starts to over heat again.

It's a pity because I love driving the car but the problems are starting to make me want to get rid of it.

#15 User is offline   Miffi 

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:08 PM

I had an annoying overheating problem recently. Blasts of really, really hot air - even when temp control set on cold - had the HCV changed and then was told that it was probably a new radiator that was required. Wasn't convinced about this as the temp guage didn't go past middle position, but sometimes the needles on the dials - speedo etc - 'spiked'. Worked out it was actually the alternator that was the problem. Voltage surges were causing the problem, hard to check I know but I got a new alternator fitted and no more problems since. I gather it is fairly common and can be mistaken for a faulty HCV. I'd check it out.

#16 User is offline   thesexynortherner 

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (Miffi @ Jul 22 2009, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had an annoying overheating problem recently. Blasts of really, really hot air - even when temp control set on cold - had the HCV changed and then was told that it was probably a new radiator that was required. Wasn't convinced about this as the temp guage didn't go past middle position, but sometimes the needles on the dials - speedo etc - 'spiked'. Worked out it was actually the alternator that was the problem. Voltage surges were causing the problem, hard to check I know but I got a new alternator fitted and no more problems since. I gather it is fairly common and can be mistaken for a faulty HCV. I'd check it out.

Cheers Miffi..

I think the problem maybe different though as the air from my blowers is consistant and temperature needle goes in to the red and generally stays there, the water in the radiator reservoir is actually boiling. Can't really afford it but I'm thinking of just taking it to a garage and getting them to find the problem.

#17 User is offline   Miffi 

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (thesexynortherner @ Jul 22 2009, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cheers Miffi..

I think the problem maybe different though as the air from my blowers is consistant and temperature needle goes in to the red and generally stays there, the water in the radiator reservoir is actually boiling. Can't really afford it but I'm thinking of just taking it to a garage and getting them to find the problem.

Sounds quite nasty - think you might be right that it's a different problem from mine, but be careful when you take it to a garage. I've found that a few - Ford Dealers included - haven't a clue about Pumas and can't be bothered because they're all "so old now". I'm very lucky, the garage in the village I live in is ace and the guy who owns it is a real car enthusiast who loves an unusual problem - he also doesn't charge over the odds and is a joy to deal with. Always go on the recommendation of the guys on this site, they seem to know what they're talking about. Good luck, hope it gets fixed soon. biggrin.gif

#18 User is offline   thesexynortherner 

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (thesexynortherner @ Jul 22 2009, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys thanks for your help but.. had the HCV changed and the car is still over heating!

Summary so far:

- Condition of waterpump (10 months old) has been checked and is ok
- The Thermostat has been replaced
- The HCV has been replaced
- Water in radiator shows no traces of oil, suggesting head gasket is ok
- radiator replaced

- Fan is kicking in at the correct time and temporarily cools the engine as does driving fast

Next step:

- Feel pipes to double check replacement thermostat is working correctly

Can anybody think of anything else that it could be.. spent around £170 so far and still got the same problem!

#19 User is offline   pumapilot 

• View gallery

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:24 PM

Puma garages here: http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=92233
Posted Image
Signature block created by Colin Y (BOK) & here as my tribute to him
Print your own Pumapeople fliers by clicking here
PUMA GARAGE LIST LINK
Tremona Garage

#20 User is offline   thesexynortherner 

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (pumapilot @ Jul 29 2009, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks.. I checked and couldn't find any in Sheffield.. It's at the garage now, it's been there since Monday.

It sounds like they are stumped by it sad.gif

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic