Pumapeople: Alarm And Horn - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alarm And Horn

#1 User is offline   victor manuel 

• Group: Members

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:59 PM

Hi all,I bought a 2001 year 1.7 Puma one month ago.I drove it to a garage (not Ford) for inspection and some small fixings. They replaced the worn steering wheel for an RS leather one I took off from my former Puma.Yesterday I realized horn sometimes does not work. I first thought it could be related to steering wheel replacement.I began to think about it and decided to try the alarm with car double-locked: no sound and no blinkers, regardless horn works or not.I have written to seller asking for alarm condition but he is the second owner and has no knowledge about car issues.Any idea?Thanks in advance

This post has been edited by victor manuel: 06 August 2020 - 07:03 PM

#2 User is offline   Ian G 

• Group: Admin

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:04 PM

Quick fix might be reinstall the original steering wheel and rule out the aftermarket one and associated boss.

Alarm should also sound the internal sounder and flash the indicators so no horn there is not really indicative.

#3 User is offline   victor manuel 

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM

Thanks for your quick answer Ian
Sadly the original wheel was sold before noticing horn failure. Unexpectedly, horn sometimes works fine. At first I thought failure was due to wheel replacement problems. The RS wheel was purchased from Pumabuild and worked fine when fitted in my other car, with no horn problems. Believing the alarm uses the same horn I decided to try horn with the alarm. It was when trying it that I realised the alarm does not work (no sound, no indicators flashes) even when horn is ready again.It seems alarm does not work at all. I do not know if erratic horn failure is related to wheel replacement because I can’t say it worked well before. And I do not know if there is any linkage between horn and alarm problems. They might be different issues. That’s why I ask for help

#4 User is offline   Ian G 

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:59 PM

Do you have power at the spade connector on the orange wire that plugs in to the horn? Left side of the car, take the headlight out to access.

#5 User is offline   victor manuel 

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:14 PM

I will try it ASAP.Thanks!!

This post has been edited by victor manuel: 06 August 2020 - 10:15 PM

#6 User is offline   victor manuel 

Posted 14 August 2020 - 07:21 AM

Horn is faulty, thanks!!,

#7 User is offline   victor manuel 

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:09 AM

When does alarm work? If I turn the key to start engine with car double-locked alarm begins to make sound and blinkers flash but if I only try the inner door handle or open the bonnet nothing happens. Is this right? Ford services are loosing knowledge and experience about our cars. They have told me the GEM might be faulty and there is no replacement available. What’s your opinion?Regards

#8 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:13 AM

From memory, leave window open, get out double lock car, reach in through window and pull bonnet lever to release bonnet then open it

if that doesn't work try doing the alarm check, you may need to search to find the post that covers how to trigger the check
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#9 User is offline   victor manuel 

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:54 AM

View Posthappy-kat, on 14 August 2020 - 09:13 AM, said:

From memory, leave window open, get out double lock car, reach in through window and pull bonnet lever to release bonnet then open it

if that doesn't work try doing the alarm check, you may need to search to find the post that covers how to trigger the check

#10 User is offline   victor manuel 

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:58 AM

Just found and read !!!

During my search I have also found that 30 second time is needed between double-locking and trying inner door handle or bonnet. I was not aware of this issue, I will also try it.

Thank you ever so much

#11 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 14 August 2020 - 07:42 PM

I hope that works for you with the time delay
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#12 User is offline   victor manuel 

Posted 23 August 2020 - 07:03 AM

Yes it works, thanks!
Now I have to find out what’s wrong with the AC: sometimes the air is only slightly cool or at the outside temperature (not hot and heating works ok). I will have to check the whole AC system, the dashboard temperature switch and the heating valve, I am afraid.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic