Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

215 215 Gets her MOT and her Mojo Back!

#1 User is offline   BPR 

• Group: Members

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:39 PM

Hi All,

215 has had a bit of a turbulent month,as we needed to use her as a "proper" car for a bit so I was keen to get her through her MOT early..... a doomed plan, as Christmas Day dawned on came the Air Bag light YUK, but no probs i thought, swap the steering wheel (the previous owners good sense in having a spare!!) to see if the clock spring was duff, no joy: so time for the experts, we were off to Supreme Car Services in Peterborough.

Both 215 and I were made very welcome and after a little struggle the Airbag control unit was diagnosed and a replacement quickly found, Then straight on to the MOT, pass no advisories!! Thankyou Ryan and CoPosted Image

At the same time 215 had seemed to loose her "Crackle" and the revs were just holding up a little, a quick search on the site and the answer, replace the Throttle position sensor and order a new TPS connector and cable from Ford... price ridiculous!!! £58 (Ford Main Dealer quoted £88 to fit LOL) 15 mins of soldering later and Bing!! "crackle back" so hopefully 215 will have another good year

Learned lots about TPS's that I didn't want to know..... left handed, right handed, Tin plated and Gold plated, all with the same part numbersPosted Image still at least I know what to ask for next time!!

This post has been edited by BPR: 13 February 2015 - 06:44 PM

#2 User is offline   Y0ungn1ck 

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:51 PM

Glad to hear she is back on form.
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 in Medium Steel Blue, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3 in Wedgewood Blue, 2016 VW Polo GTI 1.8 TSI in Flash Red.

#3 User is offline   ally frp364 

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:07 AM

View PostBPR, on 13 February 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

At the same time 215 had seemed to loose her "Crackle" and the revs were just holding up a little, a quick search on the site and the answer, replace the Throttle position sensor and order a new TPS connector and cable from Ford... price ridiculous!!! £58 (Ford Main Dealer quoted £88 to fit LOL) 15 mins of soldering later and Bing!! "crackle back" so hopefully 215 will have another good year

Learned lots about TPS's that I didn't want to know..... left handed, right handed, Tin plated and Gold plated, all with the same part numbersPosted Image still at least I know what to ask for next time!!

They are so sweet to drive after you fit the gold plate connectors. So much sharper and the variation in throttle control is better.

Enjoy.........

Cheers

Ally

#4 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:14 AM

Good tip to know.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#5 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:52 AM

did you just change the loom then? always worth changing the TPS too i'd say...

453 had about 3 or 4 tps's in it's time... the slightest bit of sticking makes the car very annoying to drive..

:cool:
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#6 User is offline   Polypedates 

• Group: Validating

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:18 AM

I was considering changing the TPS on 113 as the revs are reluctant to drop to idle speed at the moment and tend to oscillate at 1400-1500rpm; especially if the car is still rolling.

What TPS/parts should I be going for if I do go down this path?

Thanks
Punish Your Machine

#7 User is offline   nottadam 

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:07 PM

View PostPolypedates, on 18 February 2015 - 11:18 AM, said:

I was considering changing the TPS on 113 as the revs are reluctant to drop to idle speed at the moment and tend to oscillate at 1400-1500rpm; especially if the car is still rolling.

MIne used to do that when I got it, especially when cold. I just unplugged and checked the connectors at the TPS and the multi-plug behind driver's headlamp and problem went away.
Paul

FRP#008, 2001 1.6 Med Steel Blue, Fiesta 1.5 TDCi Zetec S

#8 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:01 PM

View PostPolypedates, on 18 February 2015 - 11:18 AM, said:

What TPS/parts should I be going for if I do go down this path?

Thanks

only use a ford part
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#9 User is offline   Polypedates 

• Group: Validating

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:16 PM

Ok cool, I will check the connectors first then.

I'm a big believer in OEM parts so happy enough to go to Ford I just wondered with the mentioning of left handed/right handed and gold vs tin whether I needed to be more specific.

Thanks
Punish Your Machine

#10 User is offline   BPR 

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:46 AM

View PostPolypedates, on 20 February 2015 - 02:16 PM, said:

Ok cool, I will check the connectors first then.

I'm a big believer in OEM parts so happy enough to go to Ford I just wondered with the mentioning of left handed/right handed and gold vs tin whether I needed to be more specific.

Thanks

#11 User is offline   BPR 

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:56 AM

Hi Eldood
I changed the TPS and the Idle Vac sensor before Ford could find the cable set............. then discovered that there were various possibilities for the TPS , Ford couldn't say which type of connectors the replacement connector had (ie gold or tin) and they were a bit vague on the TPS that they supplied .As to left or right handed I assumed that what they supplied was correct and didn't find out that there was another possibility until afterwards LOL!!! Posted Image

Cheers
Pip

#12 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:00 AM

with the new wiring loom the spring is at the back of the plug... with regards to the tin/gold connecting... I think that's just luck of the draw, either will do... there's only one part number, so you can't specify over the counter which one you have...

:cool:
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic