Pumapeople: Engine Upgrade - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Engine Upgrade Which engine

#1 User is offline   pumaSV650S 

• Group: Members

Posted 27 April 2021 - 03:56 PM

There’s a company who will (at great expense) fit a Mk1, 2 or 2.5 MX5 with a much lighter and much more powerful engine; it’s the aluminium block naturally aspirated Jag 3.0 V6 which is how they should have left the factory in the first place rather than with the puny 1.6 or 1.8 inline 4 cylinder!

Got me thinking what would be the best engine to fit in a Puma?
Same Jag V6?
Mk 2 Focus ST 5 pot?
RX8 wankel?
EP3 type R?
VRS diesel?????
2001 1.7 Moondust Silver Puma ;) 127mph + 0-60 in 8.8secs

'#46' d(^_^)b "need trance.fm in my car!" d(~_~)b '#46'

#2 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 27 April 2021 - 06:36 PM

I think the 1.7 suits the Puma and gives it great driveability and aren't all those engines heavier?
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#3 User is offline   Ian G 

• Group: Admin

Posted 02 May 2021 - 01:22 AM

I think its testament to the 1.7 unit that you find them transplanted in to other stuff as opposed to being replaced.

Only real one you hear about is ST170 but I think the few people who have done it all said the gearbox arrangement is difficult because the starter is different so that gives you linkage and mount issues.

I do fancy a Volvo 5 pot but I suspect its a silly idea and will drive worse, perhaps one day when I have a spare car that it doesn't matter if I make it silly.

MX5 also has the advantage that you've got relatively more access to the sides and front being longitudinally mounted, whereas in the FWD application you end up with one bank of a V6 at the back meaning maintenance gets tricky.

I know of a few V6 Corsas and despite sounding nice, its engine out to change the plugs and I think I'm right in saying you can't fit the manifold afterwards either meaning you need to remove the rack to get it in there. The Puma for its foibles doesn't give you anything of that nature to deal with.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic