Pumapeople: The Best Tyres For My Puma - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Best Tyres For My Puma

#1 User is offline   gadderes 

• Group: Members

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:51 PM

Have just purchased puma but notice that front tyres will need changing soon. It currently has Pirelli 6000's on. As a newcomer to Puma's can anyone advise if I should stick with the pirelli's or try something new - vlooking for combination of performance and reasonable cost.
Thanks in advance
Gadders

#2 User is offline   rellik666 

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:58 PM

i was on a low budget and needed new tyres. i got regal tyre's, with the f1style tread in them (which the guy told me about 5milliojn times) i think they were £35 fitted each, but......................what tyre!!! 2 mot's later and still same tyres!!! the garage cant believe they're the same ones!!!!
if at first you dont succeed parachuting's not your sport
Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows.

#3 User is offline   HFStuart 

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (gadderes @ Aug 7 2008, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have just purchased puma but notice that front tyres will need changing soon. It currently has Pirelli 6000's on. As a newcomer to Puma's can anyone advise if I should stick with the pirelli's or try something new - vlooking for combination of performance and reasonable cost.
Thanks in advance
Gadders

I'm not a fan of P6000s far to hard and squeely IMHO. What are you defining as reasonable cost ?

Assuming you're on std 195/50/15 then very few tyres are stupid prices - my choice would be Goodyear Excellence in a V rating. You should be able to get a pair fitted for around £100.
Stuart

#4 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:29 PM

I have Toyo T1-S in the standard Puma size (195/50 R15). I think they give very good grip and are wearing very well indeed.

Well worth having your geometry checked just before buying new tyres- if it's out you'll wear your new tyres unevenly and not get the best out of them. Excessive inner edge wear is common and caused by poor alignment amongst other things.

This post has been edited by BOK: 07 August 2008 - 07:29 PM

#5 User is offline   dave208 

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:57 PM

For tyres I would always go with Goodyear F1's..... Outstanding grip in the dry and wet and last very well to

Have a look at E-Tyres.co.uk (Or might be com) they come to your house to fit them and are very cheap.....
Oh they also fix any punctures you get on any of their tyres free of charge for the life of the tyre....

#6 User is offline   Pit Viper 

Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:54 AM

Goodyear Excellence are very good as are Dunlop SP Sport Fast Response.

Let's be honest, there's a wealth of choice out there at this tyre size just stay away from the cheap and nasty ones.

This post has been edited by Pit Viper: 08 August 2008 - 12:02 PM

#7 User is offline   JamesMalin 

• View gallery

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:50 AM

I go for the new Proxes 4 tyres. Harder compound than the Toyo Proxes T1-S or R but just as good in the wet and dry and will last longer.

Uniroyal Rainsports are good too aswell as Goodyear Eagle F1's and Michellin Exalto's.

Depends how much you really want to pay.

Shop around on the internet there are deals all over the place.

I currently run on Toyo Proxes T1-s' and have had no problems. But they have stopped making them now sad.gif
www.oc-motorsport.co.uk

For all Ford Servicing, repairs and conversions. Call or pm me for details. Based in Brentwood, Essex

www.stuffbymonkey.co.uk

Official Member Of The 'BIG HITTERS' Club

#8 User is offline   loopecoupe 

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:55 AM

Bridgestone G-Force Profilers are good all rounders, my 15" std's have them on.

Cheers, Tim
Scrappage......

R I Puma.......

#9 User is offline   JHT1888 

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:00 PM

I Like the look of the goodyear ones but it said it's for summer season but not winter so dunno if it would be a good idea using tyres thats not for winter ?
Posted Image
Ford Puma 1.7 2008 ~ Ford Puma Thunder 1.7 2008 - ~ Ford Racing Puma (0182/500) 2011 -

#10 User is offline   HFStuart 

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (JHT1888 @ Aug 9 2008, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I Like the look of the goodyear ones but it said it's for summer season but not winter so dunno if it would be a good idea using tyres thats not for winter ?

A 'summer' tyre isn't just for use in Summer !!

All it means is they are not suited to lots of use in snow and ice. Obviously that can be a problem if you live on the continent where snow can lay for a month or more but it's not really an issue in the UK.

You can get all season tyres - which as they sound can do a bit of both - or Mud & Snow / winter tyres. The grip these generate in the snow compared to a normal tyre is remarkable but they are pretty useless in the dry. Those that happen to live in the higlands of Scotland often have a set of these in the garage just in case.

Most hire cars you get in the alpine regions will have all season tyres on, I don't know the exact differences in the compounds but from my understeering experiences huh.gif I'd say they've got about 15% less grip in the dry than a summer tyre.

Stuart

This post has been edited by HFStuart: 10 August 2008 - 09:40 PM

Stuart

#11 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:45 PM

I have summer rated tyres, just got to be respectful that they will not handle so well in the wet and consequently you will probably aquaplane more easily as they will not have the same ability to disperse water as a winter rated tyre
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#12 User is offline   big g 

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:47 PM

alot of tyre choice s down to personal preferance really
but im a fan of the toyo proxi t1 r's

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic