Pumapeople: Won't Start - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Won't Start

#1 User is offline   Gaz1975 

• Group: Members

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:25 PM

Did a 70 mile round trip this morning no probs. Have gone to move it and it won't start. Well it did when I encouraged it with the throttle., I then turned it off to see if it wasn't just a fluke and now it won't start. It had a new fuel pump fitted in November by the garage I bought it from. Any ideas guys?. Really need to get this in for service now as things 'are happening' it was supposedly serviced before sale, and the oils clear, but I'm not sure about anything else.

Would I be right in thinking that it's either not getting the fuel or it's not getting the spark? I have a brand new set of ngk plugs here I could pop in. I'm even wondering if going over speed bumps has done something?

This post has been edited by Gaz1975: 17 March 2017 - 04:00 PM

#2 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:29 PM

Pumas need the hot start procedure to start if the engine in hot. Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#3 User is offline   Gaz1975 

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:39 PM

I think so yes. I'm going out to try it in a bit. I'm wondering if I have come across the 'hot start' procedure. I did start it stop it then start it again when it happened. This was not long after the 70 mile run. Never happened in the few months of ownership but maybe I needed to do the old hold accelerator pedal down in this instance.

I do apologise if these are common questions. I know very little about cars but am trying to learn.

This post has been edited by Gaz1975: 17 March 2017 - 08:40 PM

#4 User is offline   Gaz1975 

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:38 AM

Went out last night, started no botber at all and again 5 minutes later when I filled up. Looks like I may have been a victim of my own doings first time, moving it a few feet and not been aware of this hot start. Panic over

I feel like this site has become a counselling service for the paranoid Puma owner of which I am the only (highly grateful) member!

#5 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:03 AM

Glad it was that and your Puma is starting fine.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#6 User is offline   Rayy 

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:22 AM

I had troubles starting mine first off. I was just getting in turning the key expecting it to roar up like any other modern car i've had.

After reading about the priming I give her a good few seconds on ignition turn, wait for all the noises to stop, then turn the key, sorted. You can't rush her Posted Image
Owner: FRP #076
Current mile muncher: 2014(64) Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCI 200 Titanium X Sport - Frozen White

Previous:
2009(09) Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI | 2008(08) Mk7 Ford Fiesta TDCI Zetec S | 1999(T) Rover 420 | 1997(.R) Rover 620 TD | 1995(M) Mk3 Ford Fiesta Si
First car: 1990(H) Mk3 Ford Fiesta Popular Plus!

#7 User is offline   Trixie 

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:29 PM

View PostGaz1975, on 18 March 2017 - 07:38 AM, said:

I feel like this site has become a counselling service for the paranoid Puma owner of which I am the only (highly grateful) member!

Another paranoid member here too! I love my Puma so much and the slightest change in noise or performance has me massively worried. I'm so glad this forum is here. Thank you all, for your help!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic