Pumapeople: Reunited With A Racing Puma - Pumapeople

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reunited With A Racing Puma FRP Restoration Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   DPM 

• Group: Members

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

I used to own a Racing Puma between 2006 and 2008. I bought it with 14k and sold it with 44k. I needed a diesel as i was doing alot of travelling so i ended up selling it and replacing it with a Focus TDCI Sport which was also a great car. I always said that if i could have any of my old cars back again even if it was for just a weekend it would be my FRP.

Then i saw a few months back that there was someone looking for a FRP. I passed on the number of the person i sold mine to not knowing if it was still with him or not but it turned out it was. After a viewing the person looking for one did not buy. It turned out it was off the road for a while and in a sorry looking state.

Then a few weeks ago curiosity got the better of me so i had to see it again. I saw past the dirt as underneath it was still in a very presentable car in good condition. The interior was good just needed a clean, there is slight wear on the drivers seat base and the steering wheel also needs to be cleaned. The bodywork has a few dents and scratches but overall it very good. The underneath was still covered in wax oil from when i did it which im sure saved it down through the years.

Any way here are a few pictures in the condition i got it in.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

It also came with a new set of mats that we never used by myself or the previous owner.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And i was glad the see the wax oiling i did to the car years ago was still present and obviously working
Posted Image

I hope to get better pictures tomorrow when i finally get a chance to clean it. I also want to remove the calipers and send them to Chris for a service. Then its a case of a full service timing belt and hopefully enjoy it all over again.

#2 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

glad to see your putting another fantastic racing puma on the road. looking forward to pics of it all clean and being used and enjoyed again :woot2: how much did you get it for and whats on the clock?

cheers kieran

#3 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

Looks just like nothing a really good clean wont sort out :)
Did it cover many more miles in the time it was away?
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#4 User is offline   DPM 

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

There is 62k on it now so only 18k done since i sold it in Feb 2008. The fact that its my old car is why i could not leave it after me. There has been alot of interest in it from people i know over the last week as they remembered it from years ago. Then out of the blue i ended up speaking someone who has 2 brand new FRP wheels that i can buy if i want.

This post has been edited by DPM: 28 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

#5 User is offline   DPM 

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

Well i managed to spend a few hours on the car this morning. I gave it a cleaning inside and out but it will need to be done again as i just wanted a quick job for now as i did not have the time to get it perfect. Overall im very happy a few things to be done but nothing major. The first thing i did was to buy a new battery and actually drive it out of the shead for a better look.

Can someone tell me if the top mounts should be like this?

Posted Image
Posted Image

It does not look right to me but then again i dont remember what they used to look like.

I also found out that there was no pollen filter in the car
Posted Image

The interior needs alot more work but im happy enough for now with the results considering it was just a quick vacuum.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by DPM: 29 September 2012 - 11:11 AM

#6 User is offline   DPM 

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:23 AM

There are a few slight repairs that will be required to the bodywork but nothing i was unaware of before i purchased.

There was a rear spoiler on it at some stage by the original owner and the repair to the boot door needs to be done again.
Posted Image

Both sills look very good no bad rust to be found any where just a little surface rust at the seam.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Passenger B pillar
Posted Image

And one of the caliper which i will need to remove for the service
Posted Image

This post has been edited by DPM: 29 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

#7 User is offline   Ian G 

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

Watching this with interest. What number is it?

#8 User is offline   DPM 

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

I gave it a quick wash and when dry took a few more pictures

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And there is a scratch on the rear bumper that will require attantion when the body work will be done

Posted Image

I will certainly remove the bumpers and ensure that every thing is ok behind them at some stage and cover with more wax oil.

The following picture shows behing the carpet in the boot. It looks messy but its just dust thats stuck to the wax oil, its perfect underneath. Im so glad i did it years ago.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by DPM: 29 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

#9 User is offline   DPM 

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

Its number 0112 Ian

Just a few of the floor, again so glad i made sure it was treated to underseal when i owned the car previously as its still in perfect condition as you will see.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The car has a Pumabuild stainless steel manifold but im not sure who made it can anyone tell?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The rest of the system is standard. Years ago i remove it sanded off the surface rust and treated it to the VHT paint, seems to have worked although there is a blow between the middle and rear section that i need to examine in further detail.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by DPM: 29 September 2012 - 12:24 PM

#10 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

how long was it stood for and are you just goin to bring it to the condition it was when you owned it or have you got bigger plans for her?

#11 User is offline   DPM 

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

It was parked up for about 2 years. I hope to bring it back to the condition it was when i did own it and from looking at it i dont think it will take that much effort. After the service timing belt and caliper service i will test it and put it on the road for a while and decide from there.

#12 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:14 PM

The manifold is very likely to be Piper if it was from Pumbuild and stainless steel.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#13 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:49 AM

That line going through the bottom of the rear wing is very strange, it's on the new wings I have in the loft but I've never seen it not filled in and painted over on an frp once they've been fitted :-/.

Can't believe someone let it get in that state but well done for bringing it back :-).
Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

#14 User is offline   DPM 

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:45 AM

Cheers Al, does any one have any thing to say on the top mounts, is this the way they should be on do they need replacement?

#15 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

I don't have a close enough picture of that angle but I recall they do look proud on mine and do lean into towards the middle of the engine bay.

The line was left exposed after one member had an repair done that is the only time I have seen it on an FRP.

#16 User is offline   Ian G 

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:04 PM

The top mounts should be snug, that looks like the lower bush isn't offering much support.

#17 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:10 PM

they're probably the original top mounts...worth replacing them front and back probably...

the car will feel completly different afterwards....

also change the brearing underneath it...and the final securing nut...i did the spring retaining plates too... ;)

The counter weights will still sit clear of the turrets, but not by quite as much...plus they do sit at that awkward angle unfortunatly..

The more bushes you can change back to new the better really... :beer:
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#18 User is offline   DPM 

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

Yes they are the original top mounts are they FRP specific for both front and rear? They just dont look right to me so i will get them replaced.

Also the suspension bushes you mention are they the same as the standard Puma?

#19 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:30 PM

I need to take another look at mine then as they are not that disimilar and I have all new bushes and car drives great.
I do have new top mounts and bearings to fit next year now.
Next time I am charging the battery I will take a closer look.

#20 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

View PostDPM, on 30 September 2012 - 03:22 PM, said:

Also the suspension bushes you mention are they the same as the standard Puma?

mostly, yes...

The only one they changed was the fully shouldered bush in the back of the lower front suspension arms....the small one can be replaced with a Powerflex one which works a treat..

:cool:
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic