Pumapeople: Osf Wheel/Axle/Suspension Noise - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Osf Wheel/Axle/Suspension Noise

#1 User is offline   expatscot 

• Group: Members

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:38 PM

Okay - this is a tricky one to pin down... or has been thus far, many things can bring about the 'symptoms'.

Have yet to put it up on axle stands and have a poke about, as it maybe something that is not readily visible.

Been experiencing a metal on metal sound, from the front axle area - further narrowed down to OSF wheel well area.. sometimes its a knocking, sometimes sounds a bit like an old timber 'tall ship' creaking under wind, but definitely still metal involved.

- Mainly seem to notice it at slow, urban - pottering about town - speeds, whether the road is bumpy or smooth makes no difference.

- Once on open road and up to speed it doesn't seem to happen. No noise.

- Cornering, roundabouts - even at speed - don't bring it about. In fact the handling doesn't seem altered at all in anyway.

- It sometimes happens when rapidly accelerating, or under heavy braking... but not all the time, or even often.

- When (due to work) I have had to perform a rapid 3 point turn in a side road, makes the noise then (very noticeably) when moving hard on lock, both fwd & reverse, a metallic creaking.

First thought was CV joint....but mechanic friend said I would be unlikely to see the wear if I went under and looked 'inside' the gaiter/boot covering the joint. He said I should pull away on full lock and if it made the noise, then it was CV joint. The noise he described is the one I have had in the 3-point turns (mentioned above)- or very similar - but it didn't make it on the few test runs I did just pulling out/away on full lock. Mech' friend said unlikely to be CV joint then but could be the ball joint (guess he means the inner joint at other end of the half-shaft).. or wheel bearing..?

I had considered the wheel bearing but I have not had that droning/loud humming that usually accompanies a wearing bearing.

Am going to put it on stands over next day or so and half a bit of a dig around in the area of the wheel/axle..... any further ideas, or points.... obscure (semi-arcane tests even) that should be done to eliminate other causes.

#2 User is offline   expatscot 

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:59 PM

Never mind.... had this answered elsewhere.

#3 User is offline   devildriven 

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:35 AM

View Postexpatscot, on 22 March 2010 - 04:59 PM, said:

Never mind.... had this answered elsewhere.

I think im experiencing the same thing. Would you be able to tell me what your problem was in the end and if you managed to solve it ok please?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic