Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wheel Bearing? Knocking Sound - Argh! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   setyourselfonfire 

• Group: Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:12 PM

hey everyone,

i've just bought a ford puma - it drives great! cosmetically fine (aside from the beginning of a few rust bubbles on the rear arches), but there's one thing that appears to be troubling me.

there's a knocking sound coming from the back of the car - it was like this when i bought it. the guy who sold it to me said he thought it was the exhaust knocking. i've taken it to a local exhaust/tyres place and they can't find anything loose or wrong with it at all, apart from noticing the nearside rear wheel bearing having some play.

now, my starting questions are:

1. is there a guide/"how to" for this problem? i can get as far as getting the wheel and the cover off, but only to find a spring-covered nut. from there i am puzzled.

2. could it be something else? the noise it is making isn't akin to what a duff wheel bearing sounds like; it's more of a metallic clunking sound. the car has full service history and has had rear axle bushes done this september (by the previous owner to the tune of £550!), front offside wishbone, cambelt and clutch at 68k. the sound sometimes seems like it comes from the front of the car also.

any help would be greatly appreciated! thank you cool.gif

#2 User is offline   billy 

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:09 PM

When does it make the knocking sound? - only going over bumps (rough road-surfaces, potholes or speed ramps?), under acceleration or braking?
2000/X 1.7, SS Piper/FRP exhaust system + manifold, Green panel filter, FRP airbox mod + 3" feed to front grill, Pumabuild FRP ECU map (Dreamscience 3000), EBC grooved discs + Green stuff pads, SS brake hoses, Toyo Proxes T1-R all round, AP Coilovers (running at -35mm), Powerflex bushes + ford uprated bushes on rear of front wishbone, 10mm rear hub spacers, Halfords Super Bright Xenon headlight bulbs, big Alpine ICE system with iPOD control.

#3 User is offline   setyourselfonfire 

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:01 PM

i'd say its usually more noticeable on rougher roads, of which there are many in nottingham; it's akin to sarajevo in some areas. it isn't really caused by anything such as acceleration or braking (unless it happens to be a rough road which exacerbates the issue!).

if it's a decent, smooth road the knocking can't be heard. it's more noticeable at B-road/slowish speeds (25-35mph?) than at a Motorway type speed. the handling is still sharp, but then i would say that as my previous car as a 1litre corsa with no PAS.

i can't imagine that this is a one-off issue - i read a short review of someone with the same knocking sound but it gave no clue to what it was remedied with.

#4 User is offline   pumapilot 

• View gallery

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:06 PM

Having had suspension work done, then i suspect that the suspension has settled in, and the mounts need tightening up
Posted Image
Signature block created by Colin Y (BOK) & here as my tribute to him
Print your own Pumapeople fliers by clicking here
PUMA GARAGE LIST LINK
Tremona Garage

#5 User is offline   setyourselfonfire 

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:35 PM

ahh right! well, i'll give that a try tomorrow. sadly i'm at work tomorrow until the mid-afternoon so if its a considerably long job it may have to be on hiatus. the knocking is getting pretty annoying though! will let you know how it goes. i've wanted a puma since i was 10/11 yrs old, so it's great to finally have one as i am now 22 smile.gif.

#6 User is offline   billy 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:31 AM

I agree - I reckon it could be something as simple as tightening up the beam bearing bolts and checking the lower strut and top-mounting bolts. Also, if you jack the rear of the car up (not on the rear beam) and remove the road wheel, you could see if there is any slack movement in any of the strut/beam elements by trying to move them up and down by hand. This might help pinpoint the source of the problem.
I had the same knocking last year and it was knackered rear beam bushes - went away when I replaced them. Recently, I had a minor, similar knock, and it turned out to be excessive movement of the suspension strut (i.e the shock absorber and spring) due to worn rubber top mounts - the knock must have been coming from the top of the strut where it passes through the wheel arch. Straightforward and inexpensive to replace the rear rubber top mounts.
It doesn't sound like a shock/spring issue - I would start with the easy stuff like loose fixing bolts and top mount and then look at the strut components.

This post has been edited by billy: 01 March 2009 - 10:33 AM

2000/X 1.7, SS Piper/FRP exhaust system + manifold, Green panel filter, FRP airbox mod + 3" feed to front grill, Pumabuild FRP ECU map (Dreamscience 3000), EBC grooved discs + Green stuff pads, SS brake hoses, Toyo Proxes T1-R all round, AP Coilovers (running at -35mm), Powerflex bushes + ford uprated bushes on rear of front wishbone, 10mm rear hub spacers, Halfords Super Bright Xenon headlight bulbs, big Alpine ICE system with iPOD control.

#7 User is offline   pumapilot 

• View gallery

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (setyourselfonfire @ Feb 28 2009, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ahh right! well, i'll give that a try tomorrow. sadly i'm at work tomorrow until the mid-afternoon so if its a considerably long job it may have to be on hiatus.

Richard and Malcolm at Tremona took under 5 minutes, using a ring spanner and a ratchet mounted allen key.

Posted Image
Signature block created by Colin Y (BOK) & here as my tribute to him
Print your own Pumapeople fliers by clicking here
PUMA GARAGE LIST LINK
Tremona Garage

#8 User is offline   yippeekiay 

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:21 AM

Hi and congrats on your new Pu'. wink.gif

Hope you get the knocking sorted as I'm sure the answer is in the previous posts.

#9 User is offline   setyourselfonfire 

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:55 PM

hey, just a quick update:

i've yet to tighten up the bits and pieces as i've been away (without my puma, i know, sacrilege) but now i'm back at work i plan to have a go this upcoming weekend. will i need to remove the interior carpet trim to get proper access to the top mounting bolts? are the other points that need examining simply accessible via removing the rear wheel? pretty much convinced that it's only the nearside that is making the knocking but i'll check both anyway. other port of call will be to get a new wheel bearing pressed into the hub. what a ballache!

for the top mounts, any idea what size ring spanner and allen key i'd need? if only there was an easy reference guide!

your help has been class, otherwise i'd still be looking for a knocking exhaust. how embarrassing.

#10 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:06 PM

another common knocking can be the spare wheel ir loose and/or the jack is loose in the side storage area in the boot
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#11 User is offline   setyourselfonfire 

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:23 PM

UPDATE:

the rear suspension top mounts were tightened; this only got rid of a small amount of the noise. thanks for the tip though!

the main cause of the noise? broken offside anti-roll bar link. i sorted this a few weeks back. ford wanted £36 for one, i paid £6. boo-yaa.

thanks for all the help! if it wasn't for your help i'd still be cursed with this awful clicking sound. smile.gif.

#12 User is offline   Sex Kitten 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:07 PM

fantastic news you got it sorted and at a good price!
sex kitten
come up and see me...make me smile :wink:

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO -What a Ride!:D

1.7 Moondust Silver Sep 2002 - Aug 2009, 1.7 Silver Thunder Aug 2009 -

#13 User is offline   puma2 

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:28 PM

nice1 well done

#14 User is offline   yippeekiay 

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:11 PM

Result!! wink.gif

I only paid £3 each for mine though...lol

Don't need them but couldn't resist buying 2 for the sake of it...ehhe.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic