Pumapeople: Squeeeeaaaaaling!!! - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Squeeeeaaaaaling!!!

#1 User is offline   girlracer 

• Group: Validating

Posted 05 December 2004 - 06:24 PM

Hi all, can anyone offer any advice as to why my brakes are squealing so badly?? :help: When I was reading Ed's article in Fast Ford, it did mention the FRP brakes squealing until they get warm, but mine just seem to be squealing all the time!!! They're driving me mad, and the FRP is turning heads for all the wrong reasons!! :eyes:
:help: :help:

#2 User is offline   David 

• Group: Members

Posted 05 December 2004 - 06:27 PM

Get them serviced by someone in the know. They probably just need a clean. How long has it been since new pads and or discs?
You will never get rid of all the squeal, mine are in tip-top condition and still squeal at 5mph sometimes, no way to get round it. If they're squealing at speed though, that's a different thing.
David - Clio Trophy now sold! Megane R26 on the way - ETA March 1st 2008.
Ex-FRS #2787 - Ex-FRP #383

#3 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 05 December 2004 - 06:32 PM

Hi all, can anyone offer any advice as to why my brakes are squealing so badly??   :help:   When I was reading Ed's article in Fast Ford, it did mention the FRP brakes squealing until they get warm, but mine just seem to be squealing all the time!!!  They're driving me mad, and the FRP is turning heads for all the wrong reasons!!   :eyes:  
:help:  :help:

Are they squeeling when driving straight, or when parking etc.....

the low temp of the winter time means more squeel i'm afraid.....the brakes are just so cold all the time.....

a caliper service and rub down of the pads will cut out most the squeel.... appyling a new anti-squeel shim on the back of the pads will cut it out too....

one of the reasons the frp is a summer car really.... :?

10.gif

Chris
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#4 User is offline   girlracer 

Posted 05 December 2004 - 06:34 PM

It was last serviced this time last year, but as I've only just got the car, I'm not sure what has and hasn't been done. They only squeal when slowing down, but we're talking really loud squealing, even with the slightest of braking, slowing down approaching roundabouts, etc. Do yours squeal loudly EVERY time you brake?? ja_stupid.gif

#5 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 05 December 2004 - 06:36 PM

mine squeal when slowing down at carp park speeds. Always have and no doubt always will smile.gif

If your FRP has had FFSH then you can bet your callipes have never been serviced.......
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#6 User is offline   David 

Posted 05 December 2004 - 06:37 PM

Mine only squeal at ~5mph when parking, have never done at any other speed. Get the calipers cleaned and new pads if they are needed, but I doubt it as you said it's been serviced a year ago.

#7 User is offline   girlracer 

Posted 05 December 2004 - 06:37 PM

Cheers guys for the speedy replies!! 10.gif 10.gif

"Quote"the low temp of the winter time means more squeel i'm afraid.....the brakes are just so cold all the time.....

a caliper service and rub down of the pads will cut out most the squeel.... appyling a new anti-squeel shim on the back of the pads will cut it out too...."Quote"

That sounds like a good action plan, is this a job for the ford dealer? Or puma build/speed?? (My car's still under warranty from the garage wher I bought it, but it wasn't a ford garage??) :shock:

#8 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 05 December 2004 - 07:08 PM

IMPO unless they are a really good garage I would go to Pumabuild... (closest to you I think)
Your callipers cost £nearly 300 EACH plus VAT (plus dealer price....) so you may want to think twice about anyone doing work on them who don't know what they are doing.... also you may want to go somewhere where they may carry spares because you may need say a new piston for exmple, though not for squeal ja_stupid.gif)...
If me I would ring the garage and ask them whether they feel happy to service them for you... if for example they push your pistons in, that might mean new ones cause if they get scored they will hum.... there are no dust seals on the Alcon callipers.
Sorry I probably making you feel worse... but if the garage are approachable and honest then give them a call and see how it goes smile.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#9 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 05 December 2004 - 07:35 PM

Cheers guys for the speedy replies!!   10.gif  :beer:  

"Quote"the low temp of the winter time means more squeel i'm afraid.....the brakes are just so cold all the time.....

a caliper service and rub down of the pads will cut out most the squeel.... appyling a new anti-squeel shim on the back of the pads will cut it out too...."Quote"

That sounds like a good action plan, is this a job for the ford dealer?  Or puma build/speed??  (My car's still under warranty from the garage wher I bought it, but it wasn't a ford garage??)   :shock:

agree with HK.... i would't let the dealer touch the alcons.. :help:

My opinion is this.... use a lower temp. (and much quieter) pad for the winter like the greenstuff pads... they are quite cheap too..... and then stick the Mintex?ford racing ones back in around april time.....i did this last winter.... it was the answer to my prayers at the time... so i know where your coming from...

10.gif
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#10 User is offline   girlracer 

Posted 05 December 2004 - 08:26 PM

Cheers guys, I'm a bit happier knowing that your brakes squeal too, i'm going to the Notts meet on Sunday, so I'll listen and see how much squealing is coming from the other FRP's, maybe I'm just over reacting, as I'm not used to it! I usually can't hear it (got my music on loud laugh.gif ) but a few people at work have mentioned they can hear me coming onto the car park in the morning! I guess #473's due a service pretty soon, so I'll see what can be done. I'm hoping they do just need a clean as David says above!! Do Pumaspeed/build do the normal annual servicing?? ja_stupid.gif

#11 User is offline   vaspetrol 

Posted 05 December 2004 - 09:28 PM

When I first got #385 the squeal was terrible, I stupidly got some $%L* pads that didn't have 'sticky' shims on the back and the noise VERY bad :shock: they did it everytime , whatever the speed.

I then got my Ford dealer to sort them out with standard Mintex 1144's, and now apart from sometimes at low speed, they hardly make any noise now.

Good luck with them. 10.gif 10.gif
Vas
FRP #385 / FORD FIESTA ZETEC-S
Looked after by GK!!-In GK Ford I trust
BRAKES LOOKED AFTER BY DR.ALCON @ ELDUDE-BUILD!

PERFORMANCE FORD SHOW 2006-BEST PUMA WINNER
FORD FAIR CONCOURS CLASS WINNER 2006
WONDERLAND SPORTSCAR SHOW 2007-CONCOURS 2ND PLACE
BEST PARADE LAP FRP WINNER-CASTLE COMBE 2007
PUMAPEOPLE CALENDAR CAR 2009

Racing Puma Owners Club Membership Administrator

#12 User is offline   ALAN at PUMABUILD 

Posted 05 December 2004 - 09:49 PM

what pads are $%L*

Are they any good ja_stupid.gif

#13 User is offline   vaspetrol 

Posted 05 December 2004 - 09:58 PM

what pads are $%L*

Are they any good  :derr:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Hmmm, I'm sure you may know, if not ask BOK :wink:
Vas

#14 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 05 December 2004 - 09:58 PM

Vas you also had a lot of crap from your dealer too I thought, I did not recall it being all plain sailing ja_stupid.gif
(changing pads is the one thing a dealer/garage can right royally muck up and ruin your calipers if they do it wrong cause they know nothing about the set-up..... )

#15 User is offline   David 

Posted 05 December 2004 - 10:00 PM

what pads are $%L*

Are they any good  :derr:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Hmmm, I'm sure you may know, if not ask BOK :wink:

Ooooo I think I know the answer to this one Vas. :mrgreen: laugh.gif

#16 User is offline   vaspetrol 

Posted 05 December 2004 - 10:00 PM

Vas you also had a lot of crap from your dealer too I thought, I did not recall it being all plain sailing ja_stupid.gif
(changing pads is the one thing a dealer/garage can right royally muck up and ruin your calipers if they do it wrong cause they know nothing about the set-up..... )

Yes, but it all got sorted in the end , which is what counts :wink:
and now I get 10% discount of anything I buy biggrin.gif ja_bebe.gif
Vas

#17 User is offline   ALAN at PUMABUILD 

Posted 05 December 2004 - 10:06 PM

Vas I recall from looking under your car on one of the many occasions your dealer have missed a couple of things

I also get blinded by the rear beam

I know what pads they are now :wink:

#18 User is offline   girlracer 

Posted 05 December 2004 - 10:16 PM

Alan, it sounds like I might just have to come and visit you in the near future then!! laugh.gif

#19 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 05 December 2004 - 10:29 PM

I then got my Ford dealer to sort them out with standard Mintex 1144's, and now apart from sometimes at low speed, they hardly make any noise now.

Vas... yours don't squeel cos your too busy polishing them......lol

:rotflmao:
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#20 User is offline   ALAN at PUMABUILD 

Posted 06 December 2004 - 12:15 AM

ABBA pads :wink:

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +