Pumapeople: SPLIT - FRP Questions - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SPLIT - FRP Questions

#1 User is offline   Pumastarman 

• Group: Members

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:19 PM

Hi all I've got to ask, what are the FMC 1 to 20 FRPs where they made for Ford management? Then it starts again from 001 to 500. Theres also some manifolds that are as highly numbered as 598.

Please could someone tell me how FRP's are number designated and how many cars were acutally made? Also did Ford make some additional manifolds, hence the higher numbered ones?
Pumastarman

Loves his Puma!

#2 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:51 PM

There were 23 pre production and press FRPs, some still have the FMC numbered manifolds, others got renumbered and sold on as customer production cars.
The higher numbered manifolds (>500) are spare parts that got sold and many are in Fiestas.
500 FRPs were made combined of pre production, press and customer cars.
One early one was made in Boreham that got displayed at the Birmigham motoshow. This has #SHOWCAR on the manifold and is not part of the 500.
Not every number up to #500 was therefore used.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#3 User is offline   volcomstone411 

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:12 PM

interestingly i found out earlier, if you goto the VOSA website you can see that only 481 frps were recalled for rubbing rear brake lines. So that leads me to believe that only 481 were SOLD by ford, the rest were backhanders and exdemo cars?
Posted Image
All stuff puma - puma technical & all things rebuilt...
See my website for Snow School Information

#4 User is offline   Neil 

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:44 PM

Makes me wonder if #013 was ever a renumbered press car.
2006 - 2008 Ford Puma 1.7 Lux | 2008 - 2010 Ford Racing Puma #0013 | 2010 - 2012 Mini Cooper S | 2012 - ? RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup

#5 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:06 PM

Neil your slam panel does not indicate that is the case.
Also we are talking like late numbers for example that were in fact re badged preproducton cars, not necessarily low numbered.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#6 User is offline   Pumastarman 

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:55 PM

View Posthappy-kat, on 14 December 2009 - 05:51 PM, said:

There were 23 pre production and press FRPs, some still have the FMC numbered manifolds, others got renumbered and sold on as customer production cars.
The higher numbered manifolds (>500) are spare parts that got sold and many are in Fiestas.
500 FRPs were made combined of pre production, press and customer cars.
One early one was made in Boreham that got displayed at the Birmigham motoshow. This has #SHOWCAR on the manifold and is not part of the 500.
Not every number up to #500 was therefore used.

Hi thanks, what does FMC stand for? Also wonder why so many spare part manifolds end up in Fiestas and not standard Pumas? Do these Fiestas have the Frp engine in or 1.7 standard engines with the FRP manifold attached? Any pics of these engines in Fiestas please...? Can you still buy new old stock manifolds, not that I'd want one myself.

Lastly which lucky person has the Showcar manifold FRP are they on here? Thanks again.
Pumastarman

Loves his Puma!

#7 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:59 PM

Ford Motor Company
Fiesta with 1.7 engine transplants
The Fiesta has a 1.7 engine in it when running the manifold, you know what that looks like ;)
All manifolds have been sold from memory, Pumaspeed bought all the remaining stock a year or two back.
It is currently in Italy, though the guy was looking to sell last year I think it was.

#8 User is offline   FlashBastd 

• Group: Validating

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:07 PM

The FRP inlet manifold will fit any 1.25, 1.4, 1.6 or 1.7 "Sigma" engine (Fiesta IV, V, VI, VII(?), Fusion, Focus I, II, etc), and will generally give an 8-10% power gain. The Z-S boys are generally more into modding than Puma owners, plus there are more Z-S Fiestas about, so they represent a much bigger market than just Puma owners. However most have ended up on Fiestas that have also had a 1.7 conversion.

This post has been edited by FlashBastd: 16 December 2009 - 10:08 PM

2005 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
2000 Ford Focus 1.6i Ghia
2006 Renault Clio 2.0i RenaultSport 197 - SOLD
2005 Honda CR-V 2.0i Executive auto
2001 Ford Puma 1.7i Black

#9 User is offline   Pumastarman 

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:55 PM

View PostFlashBastd, on 16 December 2009 - 10:07 PM, said:

The FRP inlet manifold will fit any 1.25, 1.4, 1.6 or 1.7 "Sigma" engine (Fiesta IV, V, VI, VII(?), Fusion, Focus I, II, etc), and will generally give an 8-10% power gain. The Z-S boys are generally more into modding than Puma owners, plus there are more Z-S Fiestas about, so they represent a much bigger market than just Puma owners. However most have ended up on Fiestas that have also had a 1.7 conversion.

Interesting theres more Zetec S's about than Pumas. Are we talking about the first Zetec S, not sure which mark it was, but was released in year 2000. Think that was only sold to 2002. Presumably production ended the same time as the Puma December 2001, as they shared the same floorpan?

Wonder how many were made verus Puma? Also how quick must a Fiesta be with a 1.7 standard engine in, let alone FRP manifold attached!??

View Posthappy-kat, on 16 December 2009 - 09:59 PM, said:

Ford Motor Company
Fiesta with 1.7 engine transplants
The Fiesta has a 1.7 engine in it when running the manifold, you know what that looks like
All manifolds have been sold from memory, Pumaspeed bought all the remaining stock a year or two back.
It is currently in Italy, though the guy was looking to sell last year I think it was.

Lovely piece that manifold, how much did they cost to buy new? Also any idea how many FRP's are left on the road now?
Pumastarman

Loves his Puma!

#10 User is offline   FlashBastd 

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:59 PM

Yes, Fiesta Zetec-S from 2000 to 2002. They made loads of them, they were cheaper to buy and to insure than the Puma, and arguably represented the next evolution of the Puma's chassis, sharing many components but with the introduction of a chunkier anti-roll bar at the front.

I don't think the Fiesta is much lighter than the Puma, but there is probably a bit of a difference. I suspect the 1.6 ITB'd Fiestas really fly, but are arguably less useable day-to-day. The appeal of the FRP motor being that it isn't really any more agressive in day-to-day use than the standard 1.7, which in turn is torquier than the 1.6.

As far as the number of FRP's left on the road, your best bet is to look at the register. I would expect this covers at least 75-80% of them.

I think PumaSpeed were selling the manifolds for about £400 each.

#11 User is offline   Pumastarman 

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:12 PM

View PostFlashBastd, on 16 December 2009 - 11:59 PM, said:

Yes, Fiesta Zetec-S from 2000 to 2002. They made loads of them, they were cheaper to buy and to insure than the Puma, and arguably represented the next evolution of the Puma's chassis, sharing many components but with the introduction of a chunkier anti-roll bar at the front.

I don't think the Fiesta is much lighter than the Puma, but there is probably a bit of a difference. I suspect the 1.6 ITB'd Fiestas really fly, but are arguably less useable day-to-day. The appeal of the FRP motor being that it isn't really any more agressive in day-to-day use than the standard 1.7, which in turn is torquier than the 1.6.

As far as the number of FRP's left on the road, your best bet is to look at the register. I would expect this covers at least 75-80% of them.

I think PumaSpeed were selling the manifolds for about £400 each.

Thanks again; I like the Zetec S alot, but don't see too many about. Infact I see more Pumas about than S's! Whats a 1.6 ITB Fiesta?
Pumastarman

Loves his Puma!

#12 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:19 PM

View PostFlashBastd, on 16 December 2009 - 10:07 PM, said:

The FRP inlet manifold will fit any 1.25, 1.4, 1.6 or 1.7 "Sigma" engine (Fiesta IV, V, VI, VII(?), Fusion, Focus I, II, etc), and will generally give an 8-10% power gain.

I would be very surprised if there was really an 8-10% power gain from just changing the inlet manifold and nothing else!
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope - 1709)
Stop being spoon fed and GOOGLE it!

#13 User is offline   FlashBastd 

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:30 PM

Only working on what I have heard elsewhere. Could be possible if the plastic inlet on the 1.25 - 1.6 is more restrictive than the 1.7's alloy item, as the FRP inlet flows better than the standard 1.7.

ITB'd is Individual Throttle Bodies.

The general concensus seems to be around 8-10% from the exhaust mani, I would guess the FRP inlet would complient the exhaust nicely, so maybe 15% from the pair?

#14 User is offline   Pumastarman 

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:43 PM

This gentleman quotes around a similiar gain too. Check the FRP manifold history too. Did Ford make this many FRP manifolds?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...mMakeTrack=true
Pumastarman

Loves his Puma!

#15 User is offline   FlashBastd 

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:49 PM

No, probably only over 600. Ford reduced the production run before all of the inlets were produced, so I think there are probably 600 numbered manifolds, plus the handful of FMC ones, etc. The highest numbered manifold I have seen is 598.

#16 User is offline   Pumastarman 

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:02 PM

View PostFlashBastd, on 17 December 2009 - 07:49 PM, said:

No, probably only over 600. Ford reduced the production run before all of the inlets were produced, so I think there are probably 600 numbered manifolds, plus the handful of FMC ones, etc. The highest numbered manifold I have seen is 598.

Interesting; no disrespect as it makes sense what you said about reducing the production run; but it seems to be so many figures flying around I wonder if anyone knows the actual figures. Did you notice that FRP manifold on gthe e bay link, is un-numbered? Hows that work out?
Pumastarman

Loves his Puma!

#17 User is offline   FlashBastd 

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:43 PM

Not sure what the story is behind the unnumbered one, not seen or heard of any others like this though.

The story was that Ford were going to make approx. 1000 FRP's, some say all RHD, others say 50/50 RHD/LHD. In any case, it was percieved as being too expensive, Ford lost money on every car, and so they decided to limit production to 500 instead.

The manifolds are one of the most expensive single custom made components, probably made in batchs, Ford will have been able to cancel most of the excess production without too much difficulty, so only approx. 600 numbered manifolds were made, along with a handful of demo and showcar manifolds.

#18 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:35 PM

Many of the etxra manifolds were blank, engraved when bought (post production).
Germany pulled out of their FRP commitment.

#19 User is offline   Pumastarman 

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:30 AM

Who would have engraved them, post production?

This post has been edited by happy-kat: 18 December 2009 - 12:01 PM
Reason for edit: Please use ADD REPLY or FAST REPLY. There is no need to repeat the post from above, ta.

Pumastarman

Loves his Puma!

#20 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:02 PM

Ford did.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic