Pumapeople: Water Pump Bearing Failure? - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Water Pump Bearing Failure?

#1 User is offline   sleepingcat 

• Group: Members

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:02 AM

Hi, I`ve got a knocking/rattle from the engine especially on cold mornings, but not always, is much less noticable when warmed up but some mornings quite loud? I`ve had cambelt / tensioner done at Pumabuild bt still the noise persists? Could it be the water pump bearing - sounds kinda like the noise I had on an old astra a few years ago?

Anyone else had water pump breaing go or have any ideas?

Dosent sound like engine top end - oil changes every 5,000 miles - have done 80,000 to date ona 2001 plater.

Thanks

[size=4][font=Impact]this must be the place!

#2 User is offline   Phasenoise 

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:30 AM

Is it like a ticking / rattle? mine has always done this normally does it for the first 2 to 5 mins from cold. Not too sure maybe try and record the sound and post it up so people to hear?
Michelin Pilot Exalto / Speedline Turini Wheels / Motorcraft plug with Magnecor leads / Powerflex all round / Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W-30 Oil.

#3 User is offline   dan187uk 

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:59 AM

Have a listen tot the water pump with a screwdriver/stethoscope! Thats how I finly found out it was pump had gone!

#4 User is offline   sleepingcat 

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE (Phasenoise @ Aug 9 2009, 04:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it like a ticking / rattle? mine has always done this normally does it for the first 2 to 5 mins from cold. Not too sure maybe try and record the sound and post it up so people to hear?

The noise does change sometimes it a constant ticking other times more of a rattle - gonna try the screw driver suggested to she if i can pin point it.

Thanks

QUOTE (dan187uk @ Aug 9 2009, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have a listen tot the water pump with a screwdriver/stethoscope! Thats how I finly found out it was pump had gone!

Thanks i`ll try that - had also thought of changing oil (which is due now ) for mobil one 0-30w - to see if noise changed - if it changed i`d know it was an engine rather than the pump - i`ll try screw driver 1st.

Thanks

#5 User is offline   Pumastarman 

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (sleepingcat @ Aug 9 2009, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The noise does change sometimes it a constant ticking other times more of a rattle - gonna try the screw driver suggested to she if i can pin point it.

Thanks

Thanks i`ll try that - had also thought of changing oil (which is due now ) for mobil one 0-30w - to see if noise changed - if it changed i`d know it was an engine rather than the pump - i`ll try screw driver 1st.

Thanks

I don't think that changing the oil would make a difference to the rattling noise to be honest. Plus you should stick to Fords recommendation for oil of 5-30w as this is the best for engine protection.
I would just go down to good trust-worthy local garages and get them to diagnose the problem and give you a quote for the work. Take it to at least two garages, so that you know the diagnosis is correct. This shouldn't cost you a penny because the garages should be willing to get your business if they give you a good quote..
Pumastarman

Loves his Puma!

#6 User is offline   sleepingcat 

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (Pumastarman @ Aug 9 2009, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think that changing the oil would make a difference to the rattling noise to be honest. Plus you should stick to Fords recommendation for oil of 5-30w as this is the best for engine protection.
I would just go down to good trust-worthy local garages and get them to diagnose the problem and give you a quote for the work. Take it to at least two garages, so that you know the diagnosis is correct. This shouldn't cost you a penny because the garages should be willing to get your business if they give you a good quote..

Thanks - have done this today - but they can`t find anything wrong - im going to leave it for a bit to see if it gets any louder or changes - have just had oil changed used the ford 5/30w as suggested .

Thanks

#7 User is offline   Pumastarman 

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (sleepingcat @ Aug 10 2009, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks - have done this today - but they can`t find anything wrong - im going to leave it for a bit to see if it gets any louder or changes - have just had oil changed used the ford 5/30w as suggested .

Thanks

Thats ok. smile.gif Did Pumabuild check this rattle for you or another garage? I would have thought that Pumabuild would have diagnosed the problem when they did the cambelt change if you mentioned it to them then?

I'm going to make a suggestion that it may be worn tappets; now I'm not saying I'm right but it is a starting point. As I mentioned before, always go to at least two garages to get a check from, because there are some dodgy ones around as I'm sure you know. If two unconnnected garages come back with the same diagnosis then I would say chances are that'll be the problem (whatever it is).

Yes best to use the Ford oil because these engines are apparently very sensitive to the oil used in them. I hope it all sorts out for you.

This post has been edited by Pumastarman: 10 August 2009 - 09:16 PM

Pumastarman

Loves his Puma!

#8 User is offline   sleepingcat 

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (Pumastarman @ Aug 10 2009, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats ok. smile.gif Did Pumabuild check this rattle for you or another garage? I would have thought that Pumabuild would have diagnosed the problem when they did the cambelt change if you mentioned it to them then?

I'm going to make a suggestion that it may be worn tappets; now I'm not saying I'm right but it is a starting point. As I mentioned before, always go to at least two garages to get a check from, because there are some dodgy ones around as I'm sure you know. If two unconnnected garages come back with the same diagnosis then I would say chances are that'll be the problem (whatever it is).

Yes best to use the Ford oil because these engines are apparently very sensitive to the oil used in them. I hope it all sorts out for you.

Hi, thanks for your advice- having have the oil changed the noise has dissappeared at the moment althought because its been quite warm i`m not counting any chickens / I need to see if I can still hear it when i start the car on a colder morning, but at present no noise and car running much better? I presume puma build still using ford 5/30 oil because thats what my local garage put in mine (i watched them).

I`ll let you know as soon as have done cold start up - tis a bit strange though?

Thanks

#9 User is offline   Pumastarman 

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (sleepingcat @ Aug 13 2009, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, thanks for your advice- having have the oil changed the noise has dissappeared at the moment althought because its been quite warm i`m not counting any chickens / I need to see if I can still hear it when i start the car on a colder morning, but at present no noise and car running much better? I presume puma build still using ford 5/30 oil because thats what my local garage put in mine (i watched them).

I`ll let you know as soon as have done cold start up - tis a bit strange though?

Thanks

Hmm that is strange. I would be really suprised if the rattling oil was due to incorrect/old oil, hope it is though. Just thought; always make sure the Puma has enough oil in her as they have a rep for being abit thirsty on oil. Low oil level could (possibly) cause the rattle I would guess.

Did you go to local Ford dealer? If so they should have used the 5/30W oil. I checked when I had my done (you have to watch them like a hawk) so that I knew the right oil was in. If your concerned you could always ring them up and ask. If they question why your enquiring this (some garages don't like you to question them abit techy they are!) then just explain what I said, that its imperitive that you use the Motorcraft Ford 5/30 oil in the Puma...Good luck let us know what happens please.

This post has been edited by Pumastarman: 14 August 2009 - 02:12 PM

Pumastarman

Loves his Puma!

#10 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:37 PM

Very low oil level does cause Puma's to rattle, usually ends being terminal reading posts.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#11 User is offline   sleepingcat 

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:20 PM

View PostPumastarman, on 14 August 2009 - 02:09 PM, said:

<!--quoteo(post=854371:date=Aug 13 2009, 05:24 PM:name=sleepingcat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sleepingcat @ Aug 13 2009, 05:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=854371"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi, thanks for your advice- having have the oil changed the noise has dissappeared at the moment althought because its been quite warm i`m not counting any chickens / I need to see if I can still hear it when i start the car on a colder morning, but at present no noise and car running much better? I presume puma build still using ford 5/30 oil because thats what my local garage put in mine (i watched them).

Thanks<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmm that is strange. I would be really suprised if the rattling oil was due to incorrect/old oil, hope it is though. Just thought; always make sure the Puma has enough oil in her as they have a rep for being abit thirsty on oil. Low oil level could (possibly) cause the rattle I would guess.

Did you go to local Ford dealer? If so they should have used the 5/30W oil. I checked when I had my done (you have to watch them like a hawk) so that I knew the right oil was in. If your concerned you could always ring them up and ask. If they question why your enquiring this (some garages don't like you to question them abit techy they are!) then just explain what I said, that its imperitive that you use the Motorcraft Ford 5/30 oil in the Puma...Good luck let us know what happens please.

HI - just thought id let you guys know finally got to the bottom of the noise problem - my local ford dealer was ready & willing to charge me to change cambelt & water pump, near £600 - but no guarantee thatb that was the cause of the noise. Tried a small local garage and they reckoned its more likely to be the oil - especially as its worse on cold mornings. Apparently the VCT is affected by oil pressure / condition / temperature of oil? Also in only 600 miles of motorway driving I had used a litre of oil !! not good!! I have never been 100% convinced that the ford oil was that good always felt like it was knackered after about 3000 miles so have always changed it at 5000 rather than the 6000 miles recommended.

To cut long story short oil & filter changed & refilled with mobil 5-30 fully sythetic - result no noise any more - much smoother engine best its ever been - and also feels more powerful too. Wont be using the ford stuff again thats for sure!!!

:rolleyes:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic