Pumapeople: El'dudes Great Audio Guide For The Puma - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

El'dudes Great Audio Guide For The Puma Part 3

#1 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:48 PM

Rear speaker bins - generate more bass and depth to your sound, using existing rear quarter speaker locations

Posted Image

This guide will give you some tips on maximising the sound from the rear quarter speaker bins

The rear speaker bins in the puma are such an ace design! Solidly built and baffled inside to reduce internal reflections and improve rigidness. With some extra work and care these can be made into a speaker unit that can output more bass than your ears can take!! It really is hilarious how poor the oem rear speakers are considering the construction of the bin box..

6x8 vs 6x9..??

Posted Image

If your going to re-work the speaker bins you need to decide whether your going to replace the same size speaker or carve out a bigger hole to fit a 6x9… as this is a kind of a ‘stealth thread' I’m showing here first of all how to neatly fit some Pioneer 6x8’s that are designed to be a custom Ford fit..

Here is a summery of the job involved...

1. remove rear trim from the car including both rear seat sections and rear quarter trim cards and parcel shelf... the plunge clips that fix down the rear seat will probably break... (finis 6776120 x 2 if you want to replace them)
2. remove securing bolts for the rear bins and rubber clip at the bottom..
3. Remove seatbelt locking reel.. (torx 50 needed)
4. dismantle the bins using a 10torx drive and remove the speakers...
5. dynamat inside of bin as shown...(with optional addition of acoustic foam or in-fill cushion)

here i used cut outs of a3 paper to make rough shapes of the dynamat i was going to apply... even if it's rough it will save you lots of wasted dynamat!...

Posted Image

Posted Image

To make a tidy job you will ideally need 2 sheets of Dynamat Extreme…when you have removed the bins and split them in two, you can then line the inside of the bins with Dynamat…I also cut out the inside of the baffles and stuck those in separately so that the shape of the baffle was preserved… this will improve the resonance of the plastic and improve the quality of the bass no end..

Posted Image

6. Apply dynamat over the entire speaker hole and mounting area.... then cut inside a cm or two...and roll round...work the dynamat nice and flat against the plastic

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fitting a 6x9 speaker will obviously mean a fair bit of cutting away of the plastic mounting area, before you can dynamat the opening...

7. silicone round the edge of the dynamat and bond your speaker down...use 4 self tappers to also secure the speaker down.. you may find this is tricky for one or two of the holes if you've carved out a nice big hole for a 6x9... it's perfectly doable tho..the combination of the bonding and screws should hold it pretty secure....

check round the back of the speaker for gaps...and apply silicone as necessary to make a good seal..

Posted Image

8. mount speaker 'pole' connector to side of bin (optional, but looks proper tidy!)...and wire up accordingly..
make sure wiring to the speaker is secure..(good clips or soldered)...

10. hold up the top side of the bin to one side slightly whilst you bond round the lower half of the bin to seal it all back up again... re-fix all little torx screws
11. Treat the inside of the outside rear quarter panel... again...dynamat and a thin layer of closed cell foam works wonders...covering evry inch is not necessary to create good results....
12. ensure bin is VERY secure to the car... and re-fix trim (ideally with new clips)...

I then tested the difference between the following speakers

pioneers 6x8s 3-way (50watt rms).. :)

Surprisingly good sound for the size of speaker...better than i was expecting...Brighter sound than i like....ultimatly not as much bass as a good 6x9... but good considering a lot less hassle to fit!.. :)

Infinity reference 6x9s 3-way (100rms) :blink: :wacko:

Loads of bass, but loads of treble too...infact, as you turned them up, the treble and the bass just got more and more overwhelming! to the point of painful..lol

Boston Acoustic S range 6x9’s 2-way (35 watt rms)… :huh: :D

These were recommended to me by Car Electronics in the Midlands (celstores).. i was sceptical as they are a 2 way 35watt speaker... but i have to say they have really taken me by suprise... The quality of sound is fantastic.. plenty of bass there too... but neither to excess... Ultimatly, if you want a near sub like performance these are going to be too 'entry level' and somthing that can take a bit more power may be needed... but as a good all rounder for very reasonable money, these really are a surprising speaker.... so much so, i eneded up buying the next range up (SX) for my front component speakers...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#2 User is offline   Misslondon 

• Group: Members

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:57 PM

I had the infinity 100w rms 6x9s installed in the rear quarter panels as you have described by a local car audio dealer.
After having the same speakers in the parcel shelf of my old fiesta I know how good they can sound!
I treated myself to the alpine 117ri HU, thinking everything is gonna sound brilliant, it's rubbish!
The installer said it's because there is too much space behind the speaker.
My question, would getting them to put this dynamat stuff in make it all better again?
Help please, my ears can't take the tinny sound anymore!

#3 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:05 PM

Hiya Miss London.. :)

Iv'e had exactly the same experience...

Years ago i had Infinity 6x9s on a rear shelf and they were outstanding.... i think there are a few reasons why they sound crap in the Puma...

1. firstly, i think the 6x9's that are made these days tend to be cheaper massed produced items, unless you really pay good money for them and are choosy... my dad has the old 6x9's i mention in his puma and they sound awesome...lol
2. 6x9's at the back of the car means the brightness doesn't hit you like they do behind you in the Puma setup...

make sure the headunit isn't set to sub output on the rear channel if your not using sub....

Boston make an AMAZING entry level 6x9 which works well in the rear bins... and is a 2 way speaker, which will reduce the brightness you mention...

:)

i'm still constructing my 3 audio threads so keep checking back over the next day or two...

Regards

ps..that is a nice headunit... :)
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic