Pumapeople: Torque For Rear Hub Nut? - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Torque For Rear Hub Nut?

#1 User is offline   wilko33 

• Group: Members

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:38 PM

The handbrake on the car is getting a little high and the brakes dont seem to be as responsive as they should. the front pads have loads left on them so I am guessing its the back brakes, there is a small squeek whenever the brake released after braking too, possibly a sign the pads are low?

Only thing is I cant seem to find anywhere how tight to do the rear hub nut up, I dont want to over tighten and seize it up but by the looks of it there is not a split pin to monitor how tight they go on like with the Vauxhalls I have previously worked on.

Any other tips on squeeky brakes would be welcomed!

#2 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:47 PM

in here I think
http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?...ticle&id=25
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#3 User is offline   wilko33 

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:04 PM

Hub Retaining Nut (Front): 290 (214)
Hub Retaining Nut (Rear): 235 (173)

that seems very tight though, I thought it would lbe around 70-80 so as not to crush the bearing? If the Vauxhall nut was done up that tight it would be seized within minutes!

#4 User is offline   Emmsy 

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:09 PM

basically bloody tight! i replaced the rear wheel bearing on mine a couple of weeks ago.
im the same as you, i come from a vauxhall background and am used to the good old split pin.

for squeeky brakes its usually worn drums / shoes, or water ingress or leaky rear cylinder from my previous experience (on vauxhalls)
i would whip the drums off, check the shoes, bearings, if all looks ok then lube everything up and refit.

that pressure cannot be on the bearing as it would not turn. im guessing ford have designed it so that you tighten it up against a stop on the axle shaft rather than tensioning the bearings like you do on the vauxhalls.

#5 User is offline   dancer 

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:18 PM

Yeah, a thin application of copperslip between the shoe/backplate
contacts will sort out the squeek.

The vauxhall would have had adjustable taper roller bearings, ford use preloaded.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic