Pumapeople: Conventional Tuning Vs Won Nitrous - Pumapeople

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Conventional Tuning Vs Won Nitrous A comparrison of overlooked aspects of NA Vs WON

#21 User is offline   PumaVoodoo 

• Group: Members

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (jacko @ Apr 15 2008, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
correct me if im wrong but nos (liquid oxygen that has been stabilised for safety (with nitrogen?)) is a way of getting more air into the cylinder....... getting a bigger bang
very simplistically like a turbo or supercharger.......or na tuning; just forcing more 'air' in
adding anything extra in this way WILL add strain to the engine components........ a big turbo will kill an engine & so will a big shot of nos.....

The gas used is Nitrogen Dioxide. Not liquid oxygen. You get a two stage process, first you get the energy given out by the decomposition of NO2, then you also get the O2 formed burning with the extra fuel that's chucked in.

What's not mentioned though is how much you can spend on laughing gas running a nitrous setup, just ask eldood biggrin.gif
S*** LRX, usually belting between Dover and Maidstone by any means except the M20

Weitec GT Coilovers, Powerflex bushes, Milltek full FRP exhaust, 280mm front brakes
Low slung, taught, powerful and stops on a dime.

#22 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE (PumaVoodoo @ Apr 15 2008, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's not mentioned though is how much you can spend on laughing gas running a nitrous setup, just ask eldood biggrin.gif

mellow.gif i covered this on post #18...

It's not cheap.... but man it's addictive bleh.gif

i guess when you have a new toy the first couple of bottles is always gona go quick... smile.gif
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#23 User is offline   Noswizard 

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:38 PM

Hi Jacko,

I just spent the past hour or more typing out a detailed response to your post, only for it to vanish without trace before I could post it, so to say I'm ANNOYED would be a MAJOR understatement.
As a consequence I'm just going to post some very brief responses for now but I'll be back with a FULL response when I've calmed down.

QUOTE (jacko)
[color="#000000"]Apr 15 2008, 06:13 PM' post='713020']
i like the detail but seems to be a little 'too good to be true'.......
It may "seem" that way but it IS ALL TRUE.

points picked at random.....

correct me if im wrong but nos (liquid oxygen that has been stabilised for safety (with nitrogen?)) is a way of getting more air into the cylinder....... getting a bigger bang
very simplistically like a turbo or supercharger.......or na tuning; just forcing more 'air' in
adding anything extra in this way WILL add strain to the engine components........ a big turbo will kill an engine & so will a big shot of nos.....
NOT SO as nitrous is UNIQUE and unlike ANY other tuning method.
Nitrous can actually REDUCE the risk of engine failure and I'll provide you with the PROOF when I calm down.

not being able to remove na parts from a write off car.... not true; most can be bought back at a silly low price & expensive engines swapped to a new car...
That "may" be the case in a SMALL percentage of cases BUT in the main insurance companies have contracts with specific salvage companies which prevents it. Furthermore, the expensive parts of a nitrous system (bottle & solenoids) can be removed VERY QUICKLY before the car even gets picked up for salvage by almost anyone, unlike NA parts which even if you got them off, the insurers would have something to say about it.

etc etc.... i see your points & do agree to the majority
I'm glad to hear it and after you've read this response maybe you'll be able to take the next step forward and accept ALL THE FACTS!!!

but the language has been a little 'chosen' in favour of nos.....
The OPPOSITE is actually the case, because unlike other tuning mods, I have to play down what I can do with nitrous, because even that is more than most people can accept, just as you have proved!!!!

nos does sound very good and appealing in its easy fit 'ask an expert' & diy fit the supplied kit (but so is talking to 'garrett' & fitting a slightly bigger turbo...) & id be tempted to have a very small shot on at all times (if nos was cheap enough) to make my engine better all the time....
The point of this thread was to compare NA tuning with nitrous. If you want to compare nitrous with a turbo, then you have to consider the INITIAL fitting of a turbo with nitrous NOT just a "relatively" simple turbo upgrade. However, even comparing a full nitrous fit to a mere turbo upgrade, you're still way off track with which is most work.

but there are downsides which i didnt really see above

like a rudy great heavy bottle for one (same for lpg & same again for the heating issue too) which any car nut is going to go nuts over fitting..... suspension & handling is just as important as power......
Nitrous causes a MAJOR increase in power to weight ratio, that far outweighs the relatively small weight penalty.

the fact it will kill an engine just the same as any other tuning over a long time simply because said engine was not designed for it.... just like running veg oil in a diesel; for its foreseeable life span the damage isnt great but it is happening & the engine will degrade exponentially after a time.....
NOT SO and the main cause of your incorrect assumptions, is the way you make incorrect comparisons with inappropriate alternatives.

i like the fact its simple & easy but so is a air temp chip which over fuels the car.... & eventually kills the cat......nothing is perfect, not even nos if the engine wasnt designed for it & there not designed for nos
NOT SO AGAIN!!! ALL engines are DESIGNED to handle more power than they make (unfortunately not all are BUILT to the same standard) and I've spent the last 30 years DESIGNING my systems to suit the cars we sell them for.
Plus there you go again making INCORRECT and INAPPROPRIATE comparisons.

id def shout about the 'diy fit' & the 'prices' relative to other forms of tuning but not too much about the rest.....nos isnt perfect.
Actually IT IS PERFECT when designed, manufactured, fitted and used correctly - THE ONLY DRAWBACK is having to fill the bottle every now and again.

arguably it helps optimise an engine if used sparingly.....but if your using it sparingly (without adding strain) it could be argued that a good cold air feed optimises an na car just as well......
There you go again making INCORRECT and INAPPROPRIATE comparisons.

i def agree about the head tuning info.....3 angle valve seats are worth there weight in gold!!!! (so to speak!) iv found someone a lot cheaper than those prices tho!!!! but then he is retired & only does it for fun now so i must be getting a good deal!
If in "your opinion" I managed to get the head info right and "most" of the nitrous info. then what makes you think you're right on the rest and that I'm wrong?!?!?!?!
Surely it stands to reason, that if I managed to get ALL that right AND as I have 30 years EXPERIENCE on the subject (which I guess is substantially more than you have), it's VERY LIKELY that I also managed to get the other aspect RIGHT as well.

Regards

Trev

#24 User is offline   Noswizard 

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:43 AM

QUOTE (PumaVoodoo @ Apr 15 2008, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The gas used is Nitrogen Dioxide. Not liquid oxygen. You get a two stage process, first you get the energy given out by the decomposition of NO2, then you also get the O2 formed burning with the extra fuel that's chucked in.

Good to see somebody has the correct understanding of what is involved but I can add that with a correctly designed system there are other aspects of nitrous injection that can be used to enhance performance as well as those you've mentioned.

QUOTE (PumaVoodoo @ Apr 15 2008, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's not mentioned though is how much you can spend on laughing gas running a nitrous setup, just ask eldood

Yes that's sadly true BUT lets look at the following list of other factors that are not mentioned and ALWAYS overlooked that should be offset against that.
We'll take the cylinder head that started this issue on the one hand and our average street legal nitrous system on the other, despite the fact that the cylinder head would be limited to delivering just 200 hp and to match the extra 150 hp my system COULD deliver (if desired), it would cost more than DOUBLE the amount of the figure given for the head in question, assuming that it was even possible to achieve such an increase using NA techniques;

1) Initial purchase
Head was quoted at £2,500 (approx) - WON nitrous £1,300 (approx) - a difference of £1,200 @ £5/lb of nitrous that's 24 fills

2) Effect on fuel economy
The head might cause say a 5% increase in fuel consumption - nitrous increases fuel consumption ONLY when in use so it's negligible
A difficult one to put figures to but lets say a normal average of 25 mpg at a cost of £5/gal and say 15,000 miles per year = £3,000 / yr and an additional cost of £150, which is a conservative estimate I would suggest and equal to 3 more bottles of nitrous

Then there the savings due to the convenience factor, lets say you had to hire a car for at least 4 weeks while your engine mods were being done, I'd guess that could cost another £1,000 or another 20 bottles of nitrous.

Unfortunately it gets even harder to value the other cost saving like the nitrous system never wearing out and that you'll NEVER need to buy any other tuning parts for as long as you live, no matter how many different cars you own.

The wear comparison would be easier to make against a turbo where there is a specific limited life but whatever the tuning components, they will wear quicker than normal and you will then have to pay out all over again.

Another important factor is that you're getting your power "on the tick" rather than having to borrow large sums up front, so lets assume you pay for these options using plastic, there'll be approaching a 20% saving on the majority of the £1,200 difference for as long as it takes you to burn up that much nitrous and that could be worth another 2 to 3 nitrous fills.

Unlike when paying up front for your power, if you fall on hard times, you can cut down or even stop using your nitrous system and still have a driveable car. If the worst came to the worst and you had to claw back some cash you could even remove the nitrous system and sell it, whilst still retaining a driveable car.
What value shall we put on saving your financial skin?!?!?!?!

I could go on but I hope I've covered enough factors, to more than outweigh the popular misconception, that nitrous use is a more expensive alternative to other tuning methods.

Please keep in mind that in my experience the figures I've used (especially for the cost of NA tuning are VERY CONSERVATIVE and ACTUAL costs would be FAR MORE than the examples I've used.

Regards

Trev

This post has been edited by happy-kat: 16 April 2008 - 11:35 AM

#25 User is offline   Dogsbody 

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:30 AM

From what I remember...

One of the first uses of N2O on an engine was in a Spitfire, only to be used in a vertical climb for a very limited time.
Read it somewhere years ago rolleyes.gif
Don't know if its true or not wink.gif

No I don't mean that small two seater Triumph laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Dogsbody: 16 April 2008 - 07:31 AM

MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

#26 Guest_Tiggr_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE (Dogsbody @ Apr 16 2008, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No I don't mean that small two seater Triumph laugh.gif

Good! mine was a big enough bag of rust holding the holes together as it was wink.gif

Bf109E/7z was fitted with a nitrous system, the engine being a fuel injected Supercharged Daimler Benz. Gave the aircraft the ability to out perform the Spitfire ( something it could only normally do in a dive, due to the Spitfire using carbs rather than injection, and that causing fuel starvation in negative G environments ).

#27 User is offline   Noswizard 

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:24 AM

I've just realised that you guys would probably be interested in the fact that I did some TOP SECRET work for Ford Motor Co (UK & US) on the 1.7 engine, in conjunction with Mountune Racing (now owned by Roush) but they ran out of money, so the project was shelved.
The shell was a Focus and the engine had been built by Mountune, then we added our nitrous.
Fords European top brass, (some German guy) and his UK 2nd in command both had test drives in the car and were STUNNED by the performance we produced.
Unfortunately it was terminated before it was put on a dyno but we were adding 150 hp to it and it was running extremely well on the track.

I never did get to find out exactly what it was for, however I do know that it involved the parent US company, who wanted to use a US based nitrous company but the UK team knew mine was better and advised them to use my system.
Had Ford not run out of money for the project, they had it on the agenda for me to go to America, to set up a replica of what we'd been doing over here, but I think they ended up just shipping over the UK built power plant as I'd finished it.

Regards

Trev

#28 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:32 AM

Trev

really interesting thread, can I suggest that rather than using a colour tag that for each sentence/question of the previous post that you want to keep in your reply that you use the [ quote ] [/ quote] tag for each one (take out the spaces). So it is clear what was said and what your response is please smile.gif (I tweaked the post above so you could see, though when like that no need for the colour)

when I have typed a long post I copy it to cip first before hitting submit cause it is sooooo irrating if you loose it
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#29 User is offline   MattC 

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:43 AM

roflmao.gif
I do try and not get myself involved in arguements on here, but fook me Jacko, get yourself a google toolbar so that you
can at least research your wild claims before posting them up on here.

You ^

This post has been edited by frp338: 16 April 2008 - 11:43 AM

#30 Guest_jacko_*

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:15 PM

im just talking! i was agreeing & learning....
he knows his stuff....

in my humble opinion any extras such as nos, bigger turbo, higher revs do put strain on the engine tho... nothing is perfect. it is making me consider a small shot of nos for my project but i have to compare it against the other aspects first. ie im going to have more displacement & more grunt by using lpg (higher ron)

ideally itd be nice to have a supercharger for low end, a turbo for upper end, have it na tuned for max efficiency anyway, use lpg (/ hydrogen) and a small shot of nos. making use of each at its best; ie you cant get full power gains from nos alone; ud melt the engine!!!!

no engine is designed to run nos..... all engines are designed to be mildly na tuned. (ie a 4500cc v8 is designed to be taken out to 5000cc over its lifetime to be 'new & improved' in the next car) so running nos does do damage (how much depends how mad u go)

a GOOD QUICK shot of power may be fun but your also putting strain on other car parts & not to mention things like setting up suspension for a non linear power curve would be a nightmare.... its fun but its a bit kiddy....bit like big turbos....a good driving car needs a linear power curve.

in my humble opinion

ps - google searchs often come up with inaccurate info, your best reading a book; u know one of those heavy things...!!!

#31 Guest_jacko_*

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:11 PM

id def be interested in putting nos on a small engine...

im thinking of getting a small car for commuting duties, maybe a mini or fiat cinq.... (disposable engines!) & a good shot of power for overtaking / joining motorways would be brilliant...the easy fit etc of nos & quick swap over really would be brilliant in comparison to tuning an 'a' series engine as its ruddy expensive for hardly any gains...

iv been converted!

or... (im really getting going now!) a small car for commuting, fit a small turbo engine, fit a bigger turbo & use nos to boost it through the 'lag' & then turbo takes over.... creating a more seamless power delivery.

theres still the arguement of fitting a motorbike engine tho..... these can be expensive but then again so would running nos for a few years.....

has anyone nos'd a hayabusa etc engine? (would you really need to tho....)

This post has been edited by jacko: 16 April 2008 - 01:19 PM

#32 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE (Noswizard @ Apr 16 2008, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've just realised that you guys would probably be interested in the fact that I did some TOP SECRET work for Ford Motor Co (UK & US) on the 1.7 engine, in conjunction with Mountune Racing (now owned by Roush) but they ran out of money, so the project was shelved. Unfortunately it was terminated before it was put on a dyno but we were adding 150 hp to it and it was running extremely well on the track.

Trev

wow... so did you have to fit your custom spec Pistons for this R&D..?

i take it this was WELL before the days of the max controller etc...?

scary thing is ...2nd bottle in, and i'm already soo used to the extra power.... it's VERY easy to want a bit more... laugh.gif laugh.gif

chris
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#33 User is offline   Noswizard 

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Apr 16 2008, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
really interesting thread,

Very pleased to hear you think so, it makes it all worthwhile.

can I suggest that rather than using a colour tag that for each sentence/question of the previous post that you want to keep in your reply that you use the [ quote ] [/ quote] tag for each one (take out the spaces). So it is clear what was said and what your response is please smile.gif (I tweaked the post above so you could see, though when like that no need for the colour)

Yes that would be easier to read but I've never had that feature before, so have I got the hang of it I wonder?

when I have typed a long post I copy it to clip first before hitting submit cause it is sooooo irrating if you loose it

If I'd thought on I'd have done it in word first but at the start you never know how long its going to run to.

#34 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:48 PM

nearly smile.gif I just gave it a small tweak
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#35 User is offline   Noswizard 

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:02 PM

im just talking! i was agreeing & learning

Might I respectfully suggest that you spend a bit more time learning and a bit less talking as you'll make a lot more progress that way.

he knows his stuff

Only a fool wouldn't after 40 years involved in engine/performance work, with 30 of that in nitrous. I've spent all those years learning and even now I still keep my eyes and ears open for an opportunity to learn more. I don't rule out the potential to even learn from fools, because a stupid question or statement can trigger a thought process that leads to something new.

in my humble opinion any extras such as nos, bigger turbo, higher revs do put strain on the engine tho... nothing is perfect

That as you say is "your opinion" but the point of learning is to be prepared to change your opinion in the face of convincing evidence, something you seem reluctant to do.
Had my original response not vanished from my computer before I could post it, you would have been able to read 2 examples of why nitrous is NOT like the other examples you mention, so unless you accept my brief statement on the matter, I'll have to make time to re-type it for you.

it is making me consider a small shot of nos for my project but i have to compare it against the other aspects first. ie im going to have more displacement & more grunt by using lpg (higher ron

How exactly is lpg going to give you more displacement???
In my experience lpg will give you LESS grunt.
It is NOT appropriate to compare LPG with nitrous and even if you did it is not possible in the simple manner you have a tendency to use.

ideally itd be nice to have a supercharger for low end, a turbo for upper end, have it na tuned for max efficiency anyway

A supercharger can't match nitrous for low end torque (a supercharger uses the first 20% or so of the power made JUST to drive the blower), a turbo would have horrendous lag if it were big enough to make more power than nitrous and both blowers and turbos don't work well with highly tuned NA engines (whereas nitrous will) and when you've built your highly tuned, blown and turbo creation, I'll still beat you with my nitrous ONLY creation. You will have spent tens of £1,000 and be at huge risk of such a complex combination failing, whilst my cheap and simple alternative will run forever trouble free.

To be continued

use lpg (/ hydrogen) and a small shot of nos. making use of each at its best

lol.. What the hell has LPG to do with hydrogen, apart from the hydrocarbons that are produced as a byproduct of combustion, the same as any other fuel?

ie you cant get full power gains from nos alone; ud melt the engine

You've not been listening/learning have you, :cool2: as I stated earlier, a CORRECTLY DESIGNED, FITTED & USED NITROUS system will NOT melt your engine, any more than a correctly designed, fitted and used turbo will.

no engine is designed to run nos..... all engines are designed to be mildly na tuned. (ie a 4500cc v8 is designed to be taken out to 5000cc over its lifetime to be 'new & improved' in the next car) so running nos does do damage (how much depends how mad u go

Still not listening/learning, :nono: forget NOS and for now we'll even use your own INCORRECT assumption that "power is power regardless of how it is generated", therefore it makes no difference if the extra power is generated by NA tuning or nitrous.
I hate repeating myself but as you insist on not taking notice, a CORRECTLY DESIGNED, FITTED & USED NITROUS system will NOT damage your engine any more likely than if the power was generated by any other means, in FACT as I've stated previously the REVERSE is the case.

a GOOD QUICK shot of power may be fun but your also putting strain on other car parts

To keep it SIMPLE at this stage I'll agree with you on this point (although it's not strictly true and certainly different when dealing with nitrous) but again it's no different to when extra power is made by any other means, so what's the problem?

Trevor Langfield

#36 User is offline   Noswizard 

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:42 PM

its fun but its a bit kiddy....bit like big turbos....a good driving car needs a linear power curve.

That's news to me. ohmy.gif

in my humble opinion

In my humble opinion, based on my VAST EXPERIENCE you need to take more notice of those who have ACTUAL EXPERIENCE of the subjects you wish to discuss, BEFORE you form a "humble opinion". wink.gif

ps - google searchs often come up with inaccurate info, your best reading a book; u know one of those heavy things...!!

Good point, so might I suggest you read mine on THIS SUBJECT!!!!

http://www.noswizard...&products_id=97

BEFORE you repeat anymore of your misinformation.
It would almost be worth giving you a copy IF I felt confident enough that you'd reconsider "your opinions" as a consequence but so far I haven't seen any sign of that here.

Regards

Trevor Langfield (The WIZARD of NOS)

This post has been edited by Noswizard: 16 April 2008 - 04:44 PM

#37 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (Noswizard @ Apr 16 2008, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would almost be worth giving you a copy IF I felt confident enough that you'd reconsider "your opinions" as a consequence but so far I haven't seen any sign of that here.

laugh.gif laugh.gif
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#38 User is offline   pumarv6 

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:39 PM

If anyone wants to know how this story ended, eventually Jacko ended up with this...

Posted Image

#39 User is offline   Leighton 

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:00 PM

this thread just keeps getting better and better!! biggrin.gif i really need to look and have a ride in chris's car now! cool.gif Trev the arguements you have put across are seond to none, truly outstanding answers!

#40 User is offline   PumaVoodoo 

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (Noswizard @ Apr 16 2008, 01:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good to see somebody has the correct understanding of what is involved but I can add that with a correctly designed system there are other aspects of nitrous injection that can be used to enhance performance as well as those you've mentioned.

Triple combination of chemist, mechanic and engineer by training and experience and genetics. Just from the top of my head I'd guess that you're getting a substantial decrease in cylinder temps if your blasting NOx into them, which ought to do good things for your knocking point. Plus no need to hack the front end around fitting an intercooler or chargecooler setup and so on and so forth..

Yes that's sadly true BUT lets look at the following list of other factors that are not mentioned and ALWAYS overlooked that should be offset against that.
We'll take the cylinder head that started this issue on the one hand and our average street legal nitrous system on the other, despite the fact that the cylinder head would be limited to delivering just 200 hp and to match the extra 150 hp my system COULD deliver (if desired), it would cost more than DOUBLE the amount of the figure given for the head in question, assuming that it was even possible to achieve such an increase using NA techniques;

<snip>

Regards

Trev

I was making a light-hearted josh at the eldood rather than trying to poke holes biggrin.gif No matter which way you go about it, tuning cars is expensive in one way or another. But if cars were all about value for money this forum wouldn't exist.
S*** LRX, usually belting between Dover and Maidstone by any means except the M20

Weitec GT Coilovers, Powerflex bushes, Milltek full FRP exhaust, 280mm front brakes
Low slung, taught, powerful and stops on a dime.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic